Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does Anyone Drink Rye Whiskey?

univibe88

One Too Many
feltfan said:
I had that vague idea, UV88, but I was pressed for time.
Always good to get straightened out by someone on the
other side of the country!

Speaking of which, to which liquor stores will you be
moving, Brad? Keep us posted if it happens.

But to get back to Sazerac Rye, who is using it to make
Manhattans? Which vermouth do you pair with it?

Anytime feltfan :D I did live in Pleasanton for 3 years and spent way too much time and money at Bevmo lol

I think Saz makes a great Manhattan. I use Martini & Rosi Italian vermouth and I'm very happy with the results. But to be honest, I've never tried other brands. So I don't have anything to compare it to.

classyguy

Familiar Face
I live in Windsor, Ontario, headquarters of Hiram Walker and the Canadian Club distillery. Going down Riverside Drive parallel to the Detroit River is pretty enjoyable except the the potent yeast smell coming from the distillery; powerful smell.

Retrobeme

New in Town
I finally found a bottle of Sazerac Rye and it made a very nice Manhattan. Thanks for all who recommended this brand. I also having been trying to find the Rittenhouse 100 proof (the econo bottle) however, as of yet, I have not find a bottle. I went to the BEVMO site however they do not ship to Fl. Will keep looking however but I am enjoying the Sazerac. Thanks Again!

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Well, I've checked the larger liquor stores around, and so far the only Ryes I've found are Jim Beam, Wild Turkey, and Old Overholt. It's been a big disappointment, but I'll call around to the other stores, and if not, someplace in Colorado Springs or Denver is bound to have my favorites.

In the interest of furthering my knowledge, and since I've had a long-lived thirst for Rye that I haven't quenched, I forced myself to buy the Wild Turkey. It's a Kentucky Straight Rye, 101 proof, but I usually prefer the Pennsylvania style. Still, it was for the sake of knowledge that I purchased it, so I gamely tried a glass, neat.

The first thing I noticed was that it was cloyingly sweet, and it didn't seem to get better with each sip. My impression after that was that the flavor was bland. I couldn't detect any hints of the Rye grassiness or pepper that makes for a good Rye. Of course, I expected something bland from Wild Turkey, so my preconceptions may have colored my experience. I'll try again tomorrow. I don't know if I can force myself to drink it neat or on the rocks, but it might be okay in mixed drinks. It may make a passable Manhattan, but I suspect it would be better in an Old-Fashioned or a Highball.

Brad

Retrobeme

New in Town
Feltfan-
When buying my bottle of Sazerac, I also bought some new Vermouth. I was suggested to try Punt E Mes from a friend. When buying the whiskey at TotalWine I found the last bottle of the vermouth, so I thought it was kind of fate. They go quite well together and I am in fact enjoying a Sazerac/Punt E Mes Manhattan as I write. If you try this combo, please let me know your thoughts.

Joe_Frances

New in Town
Michter's Rye and American Whiskey

I really like Michter's American Whiskey and their Rye. Both are terrific. The American whiskey blends wonderfully well with soda, and when the dilute is right, you get a warm, soft butterscotch taste that is wonderful.

Most wines, especially reds, have a bad effect on me. I get tired, and head-achy and almost depressed. I have found that a good whiskey or even Scotch Whisky are fabulous with finger food like cheese. When I go to a party, I will try an Scotch and cheese and everything tastes delicious, and I don't get that tired, sick feeling I get with wine.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Apologies for the delay, Retrobeme,
I haven't tried Punt E Mes in a manhattan yet.
I do know its reputation and it's on my list.
My most recent manhattan vermouth was Vya (American)
http://www.vya.com/
which I liked quite a bit. Nice bitter edge to it, reminiscent
of Italian chinotto. I liked it with Buffalo Trace boubon and
with Old Overcoat. I'm using orange bitters at the moment.

Will try Punt E Mes soon!

Retrobeme said:
Feltfan-
When buying my bottle of Sazerac, I also bought some new Vermouth. I was suggested to try Punt E Mes from a friend. When buying the whiskey at TotalWine I found the last bottle of the vermouth, so I thought it was kind of fate. They go quite well together and I am in fact enjoying a Sazerac/Punt E Mes Manhattan as I write. If you try this combo, please let me know your thoughts.

Retrobeme

New in Town
No Worries Feltfan!
Your new Manhattan's sound interesting (Buffalo Trace/Vya.) At some piont, I will have to give them a try. Since I have enough Sazerac for one more Manhattan on Friday (I have been sharing it with my friends) I will need to be picking up some more Whiskey. I've wanted to try the Rittenhouse but right now with shipping, its a little out of my budget ( I'm referring to the cheaper 100 proof) I might be up for trying Buffalo Trace (BT?) Would you know how it compares with the 12 year old, Elijah Craig (EC?) So far, EC is my Bourbon of choice.

univibe88

One Too Many
I agree the Elijah Craig is an excellent Bourbon. I personally like it better than Buffalo Trace, but give it a try and find out which you prefer..

Retrobeme

New in Town
Univibe88-
Thanks!! I think I'm still on the fence about Buffalo Trace and once I have some extra money I'll try it or if I find its served at a bar/resturant. I've never found Elijah Craig served anywhere and I stumbled on it just by chance at an Albertson grocery/liquors and I have not found a comparable Bourbon. I guess i should accept no substitutes. However I'm still looking for that "Just Right" rye whiskey and until I do, I'll enjoy the process.;)

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Retrobeme said:
No Worries Feltfan!
Your new Manhattan's sound interesting (Buffalo Trace/Vya.) At some piont, I will have to give them a try. Since I have enough Sazerac for one more Manhattan on Friday (I have been sharing it with my friends) I will need to be picking up some more Whiskey. I've wanted to try the Rittenhouse but right now with shipping, its a little out of my budget ( I'm referring to the cheaper 100 proof) I might be up for trying Buffalo Trace (BT?) Would you know how it compares with the 12 year old, Elijah Craig (EC?) So far, EC is my Bourbon of choice.
Again, apologies for the delay.
Having just finished some Elijah Craig 12 with my cigar this evening,
I have to say it's fine, but not my favorite. A little too sweet for me,
and unsubtle with the vanilla. For sipping it is certainly
more interesting than Buffalo Trace, though. I keep the B.T. for mixing-
I prefer my manhattan made with a bourbon that isn't too interesting.
BTW, I once picked up a bottle of the older E.C. (I forget- is it 16 or 18?)
and didn't find it to be all that much better than the 12.
My preference is for Eagle Rare bourbon, in that price range.

Do grab some of that Rittenhouse 100 when you get a chance.
I haven't seen it on shelves in a while, though. Heard Bevmo isn't
carrying it anymore. I will have to check back at K&L soon. Should
be in about the same price range as some of these others we are
discussing.

Craig Robertson

One of the Regulars
Just noticed this thread. My drink of choice (when I can find it) in better bars is a Rye and Ginger Highball. A very 20s drink. I prefer Old Overholt or Sazerac.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
rumblefish said:
Thanks to Absinthe1900 for introducing me to http://www.drinkupny.com/.
They currently have nine Ryes in stock. I ordered a bottle of Rittenhouse Bottled in Bond.

Good choice! I still haven't found any here in Pueblo. Thanks for the website link, too, since if I can't find any in Colorado Springs or Denver, I'll order some. Oh man, do I miss Rittenhouse.

Anymore, I've found myself just drinking it on the rocks, rather than in Manhattans and other cocktails, even though it makes good ones. Guess I enjoy it more that way.

Brad

Kermez

A-List Customer
About 4 years ago I bought a bottle of Wild Turkey Rye because the series of books I was reading at the time (Nero Wolfe) seemed to mention Rye a bit, which of course put me "in the mood".

It was alright, but obviously not spectacular, as I haven't bought a new bottle since finshing the first one a couple years ago.

Kermez said:
About 4 years ago I bought a bottle of Wild Turkey Rye because the series of books I was reading at the time (Nero Wolfe) seemed to mention Rye a bit, which of course put me "in the mood".

It was alright, but obviously not spectacular, as I haven't bought a new bottle since finshing the first one a couple years ago.

You definitely need to try some of those mentioned here then. ;) :p

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
Kermez, go by Specs downtown and check out the better offerings of Rye they have. The six year old Sazerac Rye is a good starter Rye, and snag some Peychauds bitters and Herbsaint for a Sazerac cocktail.;)

Just avoid the Mata Hari Absinthe in the liqueur section.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
My Rye List

I broke down and bought a bottle of Jim Beam Rye today, just to say I tried it. It's sad that I can't find very many Ryes here, though I should have better luck when I run up to Denver. Rittenhouse isn't available right now - they always run small batches - why, oh why? But I can order it when it becomes available again.

Anyway, it got me to thinking back over the list of Ryes I have tried, and my rankings for them.

My Rye list, in order from favorite to least:

1. Rittenhouse Bottle in Bond
    A classic Monongahela Rye (as opposed to the Kentucky kind). My all-time favorite, hands down. I would love to be able to try some of their older Ryes.
    Favorite way to drink: on the rocks. Neat is also good.
    Mixed: Makes a Great Manhattan and Old-Fashioned.

2. Sazerac
    Sazerac is a VERY close second to Rittenhouse, mostly because of its slighter higher price.
    Favorite way to drink: on the rocks or neat.
    Mixed: Again, any classic Rye cocktail, including the Sazerac.

3. Wild Turkey
    Strangely enough, the more I drank the Wild Turkey, the better it seemed. For the money, it wasn't too bad. I would much rather have Rittenhouse or Sazerac.
    Favorite way to drink: on the rocks

4. Old Potrero
    I had a hard time figuring out what to do with Old Portero. It is extremely harsh, even on the rocks or with branch water. Don't even try drinking it neat, as far as I'm concerned. Would probably make a good cocktail, but why spend so much money on something you're just going to mix? Still, I figure it's worthy of at least fourth place.

5. Van Winkle
    It's been so many years since I had Van Winkle, that I wasn't quite sure where it fit in the list, but I think it fits about here. If I can find a bottle in the future, I'll reevaluate. It might move up a notch or two.

6. Old Overholt
    I still can't get past the hints of banana (I hate banana!), so this one is low on the list. It's okay in mixed drinks.

7. Jim Beam
    Currently at the bottom of the list. Would do if nothing else was available.
    Probably better in mixed drinks that neat or on the rocks.

Brad

Retrobeme

New in Town
Rumblefish, thank you for the link...I have been checking its site since you "Linked it," and the Bonded Rittenhouse finally is back in stock..I bought two bottles to make some Manhattans. I guess I need to have a party. Anyone near Apopka?:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo