Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does Anyone Drink Rye Whiskey?

Doctor Mabuse

New in Town
For those in NY...

The wife and I just returned from vacationing in the Catskills, where we got to sample some of the finest whiskies available stateside at the Tuthilltown distillery, home to Hudson Whiskeys. They make two spectacular ryes, the "Government Warning" and the "Manhattan", in addition to a few bourbons of varying ages. Across the board, these blow the competition out of the water.
The catch, however, is the price tag: $45 (tax included) for 375 mL.
Maybe I'll buy a bottle if I win the lottery. In the meantime, I'll stick to what I can afford: Old Overholt.

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
Doctor Mabuse said:
The wife and I just returned from vacationing in the Catskills, where we got to sample some of the finest whiskies available stateside at the Tuthilltown distillery, home to Hudson Whiskeys. They make two spectacular ryes, the "Government Warning" and the "Manhattan", in addition to a few bourbons of varying ages. Across the board, these blow the competition out of the water.
The catch, however, is the price tag: $45 (tax included) for 375 mL.
Maybe I'll buy a bottle if I win the lottery. In the meantime, I'll stick to what I can afford: Old Overholt.

The "Government Warning" is a splendid name for a whisky, is very strong?

I think I may have Jim Beam Rye this evening, perhaps in a Sazerac.

guellimus

New in Town
Ethan Bentley said:
The "Government Warning" is a splendid name for a whisky, is very strong?

I think I may have Jim Beam Rye this evening, perhaps in a Sazerac.

It's very funny that I happened to stumble onto this thread. I just finished off an old fashioned made with Jim Beam Rye with a couple of friends.

While I'm normally a scotch man, I do enjoy rye on occasion; it really mixes well.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Jim Rye is generally not well regarded, to the point that those posting here have given it thumbs down without even describing it.

I think it may just be too smooth. Per CocktailChronicles.com: "the taste seemed muddled and low in complexity, with little of the sour spiciness that is to be anticipated in a rye." It gets lost in a manhattan, tho the drink is pleasant enough.

It's also the leading rye in volume, which can't help matters.

univibe88

One Too Many
goldendawn7 said:
I'm not sure if I missed anyone mentioning this, but Russles Reserve makes a great 6 year rye for about $30 a bottle.

Have you ever compared it to the baby Saz? Similar age and price point.

PoohBang

Suspended
I only have one bottle of Rye right now... Wild Turkey Rye that picked up to make Manhattans with...

I never tried just sipping it straight... but I think I will tonight..

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
Fletch said:
Jim Rye is generally not well regarded, to the point that those posting here have given it thumbs down without even describing it.

I think it may just be too smooth. Per CocktailChronicles.com: "the taste seemed muddled and low in complexity, with little of the sour spiciness that is to be anticipated in a rye." It gets lost in a manhattan, tho the drink is pleasant enough.

It's also the leading rye in volume, which can't help matters.

I suppose this comes down to, what I believe, is the first rule of drinking, drink what you like.
Some people seem to like others don't, it seems that for ever type of spirit there are those connoisseurs that disregard certain brands;
Gin aficionados shun Gordon's or Bombay Sapphire,
Experts on Vodka turn their noses up at Smirnoff,
Many scotch buffs don't like Bells or, interestingly, Johnny Walker Blue Label - mostly on the claim of ridiculous overpricing.

This is probably because they've tried so many that they can make a better comparison.
Sometimes I fear, certainly with Vodka, it's snobbery. I remember someone once put there money where their mouth was with a blind taste test. The vodka they had previously been repulsed at was now their favourite. [huh]

That said I do agree that Sazerac Rye is excellent, I first tried it at a Buffolo taste tasting. :) Now a bottle is a standard feature of the cabinet.

Levallois

Practically Family
I finally found a bottle of Rittenhouse. We'll have Manhattans this evening. I'm curious about the different in taste between this, Canadian Whiskey and American Whiskey. Thanks for the recommendations!

John

Levallois said:
I finally found a bottle of Rittenhouse. We'll have Manhattans this evening. I'm curious about the different in taste between this, Canadian Whiskey and American Whiskey. Thanks for the recommendations!

John

That really depends on what type of whiskey you compare. Rye is different from bourbon as Tennesee whiskey is different from Chivas Regal. Rye is however the first whiskey type made in America. :D
You might be surprised how different it tastes. Report back. ;)

Levallois

Practically Family
Well we didn't get to the Rittenhouse Manhattans last night as planned but were able to drink some tonight. Mr Powers was correct that rye tastes different - at this very early stage, my unsophisticated palate would call it more "flavorful" than the Seagrams or Johnnie Walker that I had been comparing. Rye also tasted stronger. It may take some tweaking to find the best recipe for rye - I tend to like my Manhattans a little sweeter than most.

John

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana