Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does Anyone Drink Rye Whiskey?

Atinkerer

One of the Regulars
Rye whiskey has a very subtle taste/smell of rye bread. You know that rye bread fragrance? It's in rye whiskey too.

Generally, rye is not aged much, and the less it's aged the more it retains of the natural taste of the grain it was made with. Also, rye does not have to be aged in new oak barrels, so it has much lass oak flavor than Bourbon.

Tony

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
univibe88 said:
I thought you were refering to real absinthe, not real Herbsaint per se. Herbsaint has not recently a released a new/real absinthe. However a few other ones are available.

This Herbsaint will be out in a few days....

bottleline2.jpg

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
Sazerac has put in a lot of hard work reviving the 1930s/1940s Herbsaint, they even compared the new Herbsaint Original against a still sealed 1940s bottle, it passed with flying colors. Some crazy collector supplied the vintage bottle....;)

storman113

Familiar Face
Manhattan

Used some Jack Daniels rye.

1 shot Jack

1/4 sweet vermouth

1/8 grenadine

2 dash bitters

Don't like it with the dry vermouth.

Doesn't seem to make a difference weather its Jack's, Wild Turkey, or Sazerac's.

They just go down easy!

univibe88

One Too Many
Subvet642 said:
A Manhatten is NEVER made with dry, also known as white or French Vermouth; but I believe the cocktail made with Whiskey and white vermouth is called a Manahasset(sp?).

Not true. A Manhattan may be ordered "dry" and thus made with dry vermouth. It may also be ordered "perfect" which is with equal party dry and sweet vermouth. The default "Manhattan" is made with sweet vermouth so there is no need to call it out.

The dry, perfect, and sweet tags hold true to pretty much any cocktail with vermouth. Even for martinis you ask? Certainly. One of the early martini recipes calls for both sweet and dry vermouth.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
One of my professors from graduate school once told me, "If you're going to be an American historian, you should be drinking rye whiskey." He got me hooked on the stuff, especially Rittenhouse. He has a nice blog devoted to rye, Rye Whiskey is for Patriots. He has reviews, some history, and a bunch of recipes for rye. A neat resource.

Brad

R.A. Stewart

Familiar Face
Atticus Finch said:
... It is not quite a mellow or "round" as burbon (does that make sense?), but it is not harsh or acrid, either. Its quite smooth, actually. And it tastes less sweet to me---drier, to borrow a vintner's term. ...

Drier and less rounded is an apt description of how rye compares to bourbon, in my opinion. Bourbon has been my favorite hard liquor, and the noble Manhattan made with bourbon my favorite cocktail, for many years, but last summer I decided to try a bottle of rye--Sazerac, as it happened. I must say, I like it very much. Bourbon's still my usual choice for straight sipping; for Manhattans, well, that question still requires more research.

~Rich

R.A. Stewart

Familiar Face
Levallois said:
When I say "sweet" Manhattan I mean that I like the 2 to 1 rye to vermouth ratio as opposed to a 3 to 1 or 4 to 1 ratio. I've seen rye recipes on the internet that use every one of these. I don't know which is the original?

John

I am not absolutely certain, but I think the far-back-in-the-mists-of-time original Manhattan was probably 2 to 1. That's what was on the old novelty shot glass that, unfortunately, broke some years back ... another story; not that that is my only source. As with martinis, the older recipes seem to have had more vermouth; and then too, as the somewhat sweeter bourbon became more prevalent in Manhattans, the recipe had to be adjusted to offset the sweetness of the vermouth. A 2-to-1 bourbon Manhattan edges the world's greatest cocktail just a bit too far in the direction of cough syrup, in my opinion.

~Rich

(Hey, I just became a Familiar Face! How appropriate that it should have happened over Manhattans.)

D-503

Familiar Face
Brad Bowers said:
One of my professors from graduate school once told me, "If you're going to be an American historian, you should be drinking rye whiskey." He got me hooked on the stuff, especially Rittenhouse. He has a nice blog devoted to rye, Rye Whiskey is for Patriots. He has reviews, some history, and a bunch of recipes for rye. A neat resource.

Brad

That is a nice blog! Sounds like a nice chap to have a drink with.

I notice he didn't include Sazerac on his favorites, either the 6-year or the 18-year, but listed Rittenhouse and Templeton. I've only had the Sazerac 6-year, which is a darling whiskey, but I'm kind of keen on finding Templeton or Rittenhouse. Any Minnesota members know if either are available in the state?

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
D-503 said:

I notice he didn't include Sazerac on his favorites, either the 6-year or the 18-year, but listed Rittenhouse and Templeton. I've only had the Sazerac 6-year, which is a darling whiskey, but I'm kind of keen on finding Templeton or Rittenhouse. Any Minnesota members know if either are available in the state?

I'm guessing they're available where you live, as he lives and teaches in Minneapolis.

Brad

D-503

Familiar Face
Thanks, Brad - if he's a U.S. historian around here it's conceivable that I know him (I'm in the history game myself)! And it seems to me that historians do know their liquor - when I was at the AHA convention last month, I saw more martinis and Manhattans after hours than at any other venue (my own living room excluded, of course). My favorite memory of the convention was speaking to an impeccably dressed Oxford historian at the bar while he was sipping on a pink gin!

As for the Rittenhouse, I guess I'll have to go to the fancy liquor store now, not the small one near my house that's built into a supermarket (although they do have pretty good selection there, including most of the Buffalo Trace whiskeys.)

univibe88

One Too Many
D-503 said:

It must be because he simply hasn't tried either of the Sazerac Ryes. His favorites include Old Overholt. While Old Overcoat is interesting for a historical perspective, it is not a very good product.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Yes, historians and liquor always seem to go hand in hand. I've always considered it to be a requirement in this profession.lol

I'm sure he's had Sazerac, and don't know why it's not listed in his favorites. I'm surprised at the Old Overholt, as well. I'll be talking to him in the next couple of days, so I'll ask.

Brad

univibe88

One Too Many
Brad Bowers said:
I'm sure he's had Sazerac, and don't know why it's not listed in his favorites.

I think I know why :D

Every year when the Saz 18 is released I tell people that it is losing its luster and that it's past its prime. Why? In hopes of spreading this rumor and leaving more available for me!

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
scotrace said:
It was strongly worded, and I apologize for any offense given. It would not do for The Fedora Lounge to be seen as encouraging underage consumption, as MK said. Even if you will be 21 in a few hours, underage is still underage.

We Canadians are always wondering why Americans can kill and die for their country at 18, but can't legally have even a 4% alcohol beer until they're 21. We can enjoy Canadian Club, Crown Royal and other Canadian whiskies at 18 or 19, depending on province.

Oh, we can kill and die for Queen and Country at 18 too.

rikrdo

A-List Customer
MisterCairo said:
We Canadians are always wondering why Americans can kill and die for their country at 18, but can't legally have even a 4% alcohol beer until they're 21. We can enjoy Canadian Club, Crown Royal and other Canadian whiskies at 18 or 19, depending on province.

Oh, we can kill and die for Queen and Country at 18 too.

Not ALL states have that restriction............some allow consumption at 18
Some of US still believe that the Federal gubmint should play a limited role in bossing us around.

As for Royal Crown.....
Makes a pretty decent Manhattan, if ya ask me :D

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
:eek:fftopic:

Do I recall correctly that while states can set the age limit, certain Federal funding is made dependent on keeping the age limit at 21? Thus, states feel compelled to toe the "gubmint's" line?

Agreed - Crown Royal makes for a tasty Manhattan. Shame we don't get the velvet bags anymore, except in the occasional gift pack.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21