Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does Anyone Drink Rye Whiskey?

Levallois said:
Well we didn't get to the Rittenhouse Manhattans last night as planned but were able to drink some tonight. Mr Powers was correct that rye tastes different - at this very early stage, my unsophisticated palate would call it more "flavorful" than the Seagrams or Johnnie Walker that I had been comparing. Rye also tasted stronger. It may take some tweaking to find the best recipe for rye - I tend to like my Manhattans a little sweeter than most.

John

A sweet Manhattan?! :eek: ;) :p You definitely would have to adjust the recipe. You would be drinking a real Manhattan made the way they were intended with the original recipe. ;)
Rye is definitely more flavorful than Walker's offerings. Last time I had Black Label, I was taken aback by the water like taste of it. :eusa_doh: [huh] I guess I have been drinking rye and scotch quite a while. :D
Rye is a bit stronger tasting but it is also more spicy and worth getting to know in its many forms. ;)

Regards,

J

Levallois

Practically Family
When I say "sweet" Manhattan I mean that I like the 2 to 1 rye to vermouth ratio as opposed to a 3 to 1 or 4 to 1 ratio. I've seen rye recipes on the internet that use every one of these. I don't know which is the original?

John

Forrestal

One of the Regulars
I hope my friend Bill Samuels at Makers Mark won’t get made at me and take my name off the plaque on Makers Mark barrel #796929 for saying this, but I really like Pappy Van Winkles Rye.
Pappy Van Winkles can be so hard to find that last time I had to go to the distillery to buy 2 bottles.

Regards,
Forrestal

Levallois said:
When I say "sweet" Manhattan I mean that I like the 2 to 1 rye to vermouth ratio as opposed to a 3 to 1 or 4 to 1 ratio. I've seen rye recipes on the internet that use every one of these. I don't know which is the original?

John

I was just referring to the original---meaning it was made with rye whiskey and no other kind. ;) I am not that hot on vermouth so even 4 to 1 can be a bit much for me. :D

Levallois

Practically Family
4 to 1 still too much vermouth? My dad's "manhattans" would be to bring out the rye, vermouth and bitters. Then he's put the rye in a glass, show the glass of rye the bottle of vermouth and throw the bitters in the trash. Now that was a dry manhattan!

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
I don't think you can call it a Manhattan without vermouth or bitters!;)

I save my Rittenhouse to drink neat or on the rocks, and use whatever other brand I have handy for mixing purposes. My neighbor gave me another bottle of Russell's Reserve, but it's just too blah next to the bold spiciness of the Rittenhouse. Taste good in a Manhattan, though.

Brad

Brad Bowers said:
I don't think you can call it a Manhattan without vermouth or bitters!;)

I save my Rittenhouse to drink neat or on the rocks, and use whatever other brand I have handy for mixing purposes. My neighbor gave me another bottle of Russell's Reserve, but it's just too blah next to the bold spiciness of the Rittenhouse. Taste good in a Manhattan, though.

Brad

I use the Rittenhouse for Manhattans and Old Fashioneds. I use Sazerac for sipping. :D

univibe88

One Too Many
jamespowers said:
How can we tell the new formula from the old one? Is the bottle different?

I thought you were refering to real absinthe, not real Herbsaint per se. Herbsaint has not recently a released a new/real absinthe. However a few other ones are available.

The amount of absinthe in a Sazerac cocktail is so little that I don't worry if I am using "genuine" absinthe of a pastis. The result is the same.

That being said, I agree with your recommendation of baby Saz for a Sazerac cocktail. The resulting cocktail is dangerously delicious and the rye itself is at a good price point for mixing. I couldn't bring myself to mix Saz 18. It's too expensive and too good neat.

univibe88

One Too Many
jamespowers said:
I have heard it is not rated as well as previous releases---like the 2005 release. They say it is not as lush as its cheaper brother Thomas H Hardy Sazerac. Malt Advocate gave it an 87. [huh]

Thomas H Handy and Sazerac 18 are both part of same limited fall release, The Buffalo Trace Antique Collection. Their suggested retail price is the same. Although the Saz may be more sought after and may be marked up.

Handy is a cask strength rye whereas Saz is bottled around 90 proof, different animals really. In 07 I had bottles of the Handy and Saz. I found the Handy not to be nearly as complex. I enjoyed the Saz more.

In 08 the only thing I bought was Saz 18. I don't think I did a head to head comparison of the 07 and 08. I landed 2 bottles and I'm just finishing the 2nd bottle. I haven't opened up my 09 bottles of Saz 18 yet to compare.

Also, the 87 rating was for the 08 release. This year's got a 91. Either way, Malt Advocate has been picking on it for getting "softer" since the '05 they loved so much. I think it might be a bit reflective of the reviewer preference for more aggressive whiskies. While I appreciate bold ones, for my taste Saz 18 is perfect. Heck, I wish MA would give it a 50 so demand would down and there would be more for me!

MissJeanavive

One of the Regulars
I love Rye!

I love Rye and I am in VERY BIG trouble now, my favorite Old Potrero a very limited San Francisco Rye which is only distributed to bars. I am on a waiting list that was at 30 people when I signed up at the CASK store at the beginning of the year...

...the reason I am in trouble is because I discovered the bar across from my swing dancing place has it...which means I will have to start my evening with a swig before going dancing. It is a very lucid drink, very sweet and you feel it warming you up all the way down...90 proof.

http://www.anchorbrewing.com/about_us/oldpotrero.htm

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112