Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

does anyone wear wigs or hair pieces?

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
I'm really not happy with how my hair is growing out from my bad cut over the summer. I was searching around and came across an interesting hair piece site. They have clip on Bettie bangs, which I think I might get just for fun, but I am now thinking about something more. When I originally grew my hair out, I wore a clip on hair piece nearly every day for 6 months while my own grew out that was very similar to the one below. Is there anyway to make something like that look vintage? If not, can someone recommend something that might be more vintage-inspired without being a full wig?
yhst-16148164185347_1969_33815614

Rainbow

Familiar Face
I have 2 hairpieces that I wear constantly. They are not really vintage but they do look and wear pretty well. I'm also letting my hear grow out, so they really help, and look so real. They're more like small curly chignons. There is a website that has a very good selection of hairpieces. Go to lookoflove.com, they have several butterfly comb hairpieces in several different sizes. Let me know how your search goes.

Oh, and some salons can actually order them for you, as well as color rings to match up your color. I think there is a section to find a salon.

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I used to wear hairpieces occasionally when dancing, and also at my wedding, which is a whole 'nother story. :eusa_doh:

Anyway, my friend taught me this trick in case you haven't thought of it yourself:

She buys long hanks of her hair color, braids it in different styles, and ties off both ends with rubber bands. Than, she can place the braid over her head, on the back in a circle chignon, etc. It's simply however you have time to play with the hair. She stressed to use rubber bands because they are easier to keep attached to the bobby pins.

I'm probably the worst hair person on this board, and even I can do this. I have an entire stash of these that perfectly match my hair and cost <$12.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
I... love... hair pieces!! I'm so glad you posted the faux bangs site, as mine weren't really meant to be bangs, they were an old chignon with a clip attached. I took the clip off and wear them as bangs, but they're quite thick! Peg Bundie thick! LOL!

The hardest part is finding peices to match! Just remember to always go with the lighter shade if you can't decide between two, it will look more natural.

Here's some pics with me wearing mine,
bangs, (excuse the mess, we're remodeling!)
1415245185_76e5abfa77.jpg

1415247665_f6e55d3a3b.jpg

a few years ago,
620846319_4f66365ccb.jpg

Curly pony clip, I put this in and pin curls in place for updo,
Sorry, leaving this one big since you can't really see my hair otherwise. Tho it still doesn't show much, but you get the idea.
1393333336_6e96e42635_b.jpg

and here,
hairshow074.jpg
[/IMG]

used straight pony to roll my hair up for back roll,
872073424_2ed1d3ddab_b.jpg

This is a freaky pic, but it's a scan and I had to adjust it so the braid would show up. I had a half pony on top of my head with cascading curls. Wrapped the braid around that, and curled the rest of my hair. Sort of a grecian thing goin' on I guess.
620726775_c5a926a989_o.jpg

another braid,
1308898040_2be8e1805d_o.jpg

My apologies, I didn't realize I had so many pics till I started digging around for them!
I totally reccomend the Jessica Simpson clip in hair too, www.hairuwear.com
You can also get them on the bay and if you want to spend the extra $$$ you can get the human hair and dye to match. I'd have to because they don't have a red in my shade. These are awesome, you can have super short hair and put on a long fall and wear a headband to cover, then swoop your bangs over. You *might* be able to do something like that with the one you pictured. And I second the snood!

I have various little curly hair 'scrunchies' too. I have long hair, but all of these are so quick and easy when I'm lazy. With the scrunchies I can throw my hair up in a claw clip, then fasten the peice on top to look like a tausled(sp) updo.

Remember girls, women have been wearing faux hair since the begining of time! And many of the golden era movies sport fake hair or wigs. I had to laugh reading Sydney's book recently. Telling about how he would pull some of the stars hairline's back super tight for a "face Lift" before putting on the wigs!
Nikki

~*Red*~

Practically Family
Hair pieces and wigs are awesome! Especially if you are growing out your hair!! I had a fabulous ponytail piece that I gave away to a friend...Unfortunately for me, I haven't been able to find one like since then!!
I also had a cute little bob I used to wear when my hair was pixie short and growing out. It was used to wear when I had to go out and look nice, otherwise, the bandana is my BEST FRIEND. lol I have to be careful with wigs though because I have a large sized melon, and most of them don't fit properly. But they sure are useful! AND FUN!!

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Ohairas,have you tried the Jessica Simpson hair yourself? My salon carries the whole line, but the swatch set doesn't have any reds. Did you dye it? I do like them, and would get my employee discount, but I'm afraid to dye them when they are so expensive. I used to have a cute ringlet updo one, but gave it away once my hair was long enough to do the do without it. I wish I hadn't given it away.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Kami, our salon is located next door to a distributor for the jess hair. Many girls at the shop have them and I've played with them a lot, but don't have one myself because I would have to dye it red. Not that it's a problem, as long as you get the human hair one, but I just haven't forked out the dough yet, lol! Plus, I plan to go dark for a while this fall and might just get a dark one for fun first. But they do blend wonderfully. And it is fun to make your long hair short as well.

Some one told me Target had something like them but I've not seen them!
Nikki

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
If anyone's interested, here's what I ended up getting. Nothing special, but I wanted something inexpensive to make sure the color works.
big01.jpg

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Looks like the tousled one I have! Let us know what you think when you get it! Is the site the same as the name in the pic?
NIkki

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
I got it from www.wigs.com. They have sooo many brands that I had alot to choose from. Some brands had good reds that I hadn't found elsewhere. Whenever I wear red, I tend to change it alot, so even if this red isn't a perfect match, it might be the next time I color it ;)

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
</beauty>

Ladies, please pardon a plug-ugly intruding for a second and asking the old, time-honored question..."Should I buy a toop?"

352978889_ead6e295e2_m.jpg

I look like this.
tyrone-power-headshot.jpg

I wanna look like this.

Is this possible without (a) spending several G-notes or (b) people referring to me jokingly as "Chinstrap"?

<beauty>

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
From our angle

Fletch, most of us gals aren't aware that our handsome guy friends have hair or not until they sit down. Me, I don't care, long, short, bald, dreadlocks, male pattern baldness, monk circle: it's the guy underneath the hair that counts. If you want the upkeep of a toup go for it, I'm sure it will look just fine.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
If you do go with a piece, get a *good* one. I worked with a guy once who had a cheap toop that sat on the top of his head like a dirty pen-wiper, and nobody had the heart to tell him.

Just please don't start going around in an ascot, though. That's too too *too.*

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Fletch said:
Ladies, please pardon a plug-ugly intruding for a second and asking the old, time-honored question..."Should I buy a toop?"
352978889_ead6e295e2_m.jpg

I look like this.
tyrone-power-headshot.jpg

I wanna look like this.
Is this possible without (a) spending several G-notes or (b) people referring to me jokingly as "Chinstrap"?
<beauty>
Fletch, think: How many times have you looked at someone and thought to yourself "He's wearing a rug . . .". You don't need that. You're totally cool as you are.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
As a hairdresser, I can tell you that you can not get a good one without spending lots of dough. Think about how different Rudy Gulliani looks today, compared to the footage from before 9/11. Personally, I think he looks better without the toupe. A real woman will find you just as attractive as you are. And if you're already married, your wife probably doesn't really care. My husband has alot less hair than the day I married and I still think he looks pretty hot. If you're really concerned about hair loss, I highly recommend trying Rogain. It doesn't always work for every man (my brother-in-law had complete recovery, my husband saw no results), but when it does, it works wonders.

Kitty_Sheridan

Practically Family
Agree.
There will always be those embarrassing toupe moments...
I think it's cute. We all have hang ups.

I had my hair cut yestreday and I hate, hate, HATE it.

I have a big moon face anyway and what was supposed to be a trim from my past shoulder length hair has ended up a just below chin length bob.
I look like Velma from Scooby Doo. what was she thinking???? she just kept chopping. It was like Psycho!!!!!!:eek:
:(
Saw those Jessica Simpson clip ins today and was tempted....but at £65 (about $130 I guess) waaaaay too pricy!
K

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran