Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

does anyone wear wigs or hair pieces?

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
f89fc3db2502.jpg
0adfd27a7738.jpg

Here I am with my new wig. If ever i get the courage to wear it out I will get a nicer one. I really only like it with the hat and scarf which I can't wear to work. I also need to wash it a few times so it's duller.

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
deadpandiva said:
f89fc3db2502.jpg
0adfd27a7738.jpg

Here I am with my new wig. If ever i get the courage to wear it out I will get a nicer one. I really only like it with the hat and scarf which I can't wear to work. I also need to wash it a few times so it's duller.
That is very cute DPD

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
DPD, it's really cute and suits you! It only takes a couple times to feel comfortable. Then, they just become like other accessories. By now, the only person who ever comments on my wigs and hairpieces is my mother, only because she thinks I'm crazy to wear them.

Magpye

New in Town
The wigs in here are wonderful! I've always wanted one but no doubt I would get it yanked off if I wore it to college :rolleyes:

With hair pieces is it best to go for clip ins or the 'real' braided in extensions? The braided in ones seem like they'd be more suitable for constant wear but a friend I spoke to insisted they can make your hair fall out [huh]

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Hair pieces are different from extensions.
Extensions look like this:
QFHHCCQ41clip_in_hair_extension.jpg

and blend into the hair like this:
pi_3304.jpeg

Hair piece look like this, although there are a few different bases:
Butterfly_HH.jpg

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
I wore this synthetic wig to the recent Gaskell's Ball. First time wearing a wig out someplace, other than my days years back as a professional Clown when I wore one for all my gigs.

IMG_7293.jpg

It was a historical dance event, and a different costumed dance the night before too and I was going 1870s style. After over two plus years of having vintage sets done, and having so much of my hair getting pulled out as a result of the curlers and then the washing it out later - I finally quit having my hair roller set. The curling iron sets work nicely, but oh the volume of hair spray required! And then it still doesn't last more than a day or night after... So for this event I found a nice synthetic wig. I colored my hair to be close to the wig color, and then if any bangs or hair around my ears could hopefully blend in if need be.

I kept pulling it forward a bit, but I think a wig cap would help and a headband on my own hair too- bobby pinning it to my own hair.

I'm pretty happy with how my hair looked for this, and would wear it again for this period of clothing.

Thought the Mr. would think it strange my wearing a wig, and my kids too- but no one said a word negative about it.

At some point I'd like to get a 1940s style wig and a gibson girl/edwardian style done for me.

Last edited:

virgi

New in Town
you can make your own clip in extensions, I sometimes use them when I want fullness (not length, because it can look fake) I made them from hair that is used for weaving. Having your hair weaved however, stretches the scalp so women sometimes develop bald spots.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
I just recently got a curls hairpiece, have worn it a couple of times and I really like it. This is one you put over your hair done in a bun, and then cinch the little cord that runs around it. I found it at a vendor booth at the Dickens Fair, this is longer than what gals typically use for the 1850s Dickens era, so it suit me just right for the 1870s look I am currently doing at the 19th c. historic dances I'm going to. I wore this to Gaskells Xmas Ball on Saturday night, and then to a modern dress Xmas Dance party the next night on Sunday. Several of the ladies commented very enthusiastically at the xmas dance regarding it and couldn't believe it was not my own hair! Wearing it again tonight to a holiday party/foxtrot dance workshop in SF.

seen from the side and then the back
IMG_7431.jpg

IMG_7440.jpg

forgive the tired expression on both of our faces here, we'd been dancing hard all evening and it was time to call it a night
IMG_7443.jpg

Last edited:

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
^ Back when I was Irish dancing, that is pretty much the same type of hairpiece I had. It was ringlets (what's traditional for Irish dance competitions) and you had to put your own hair into 2 small ponytails, and clip the hairpiece in over it. It was very easy to wear, stayed in really well, and looked pretty realistic. You can google "Irish dance wigs" and tons of sites come up for purchasing them, they look quite similar to yours, Carey. Very pretty, btw!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran