Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

does anyone wear wigs or hair pieces?

auntdaisy

New in Town
No Toup!

I vote no for the toup! I LOVE bald/balding men! Leave it! But that's just my opinion. Truthfully, unless you can get a REALLLLY good toup, (and I haven't seen any that don't cost a fortune), they end up looking tacky, in my opinion.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
kamikat said:
Whenever I wear red, I tend to change it alot, so even if this red isn't a perfect match, it might be the next time I color it ;)

I know exactly what you mean Kami! Same here!

Fletch, you're quite handsome without the toupe. I say stay as you are! If it makes you feel any better, my husband has less hair than you! ;)
However, you could always go try some one just to see what you think. You might nix it right away then!
Nikki

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Well, my hairpiece came today and I'm not very happy with it. It has a single, long tong-like pick that you're supposed to tuck inside a french roll. My hair isn't long enough for a french roll. What I ended up doing is twisting it with a small butterfly clip and sticking it in. It doesn't blend well with my own hair. The color is pretty good, but the piece isn't very curly and sparse. It will do for now, but I think I will order something else after the next payday.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Aw man.. sorry it didn't stand up to your expectations. At least you are able to decide more on the color when you order another.
Even if you don't wear it much now, you might later! Just add it to your stash!

Have you tried looking at the cheap ones at Sally's Beauty Suppy? They might do in a pinch, that's where most of mine are from.
Nikki

Rainbow

Familiar Face
KamiKat, I have one just like you're talking about and I have the same problem. I bought it because it matched so well, not realizing it had to be worn with a french twist. If you figure out a way to wear it, Please let me know, I would love to be able to wear this one.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
I think it depends on the length of your hair. What I did today was pull my hair into a ponytail, then use a small butterfly clip to pin my pony higher on my head, then I shoved the stick between the butterfly clip and my scalp. You can see the clip underneath the faux hair, it's the best I have been able to come up with. My hair reaches just to the collar, so with it flipped up, it's only a tiny tuft and is completely hidden by the faux hair. If your hair is longer, this might not work.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Here's my new hair. None of the pics came out very well, sorry.
1536882984_12e751068c.jpg

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Love my fake braid!

I got it for my wedding 15 years ago (needed an anchor for the biggest Spanish comb in the world), and I wear it a lot in many ways! Big chignon, over the top of the head, un-braided and stuffed in a snood... so useful. That way I don't have to have the pain in the girdle of really long hair, and can still look like I do.
As i am graying, I use Halloween silver hairspray on a toothbrush to add straks to it, so it keeps matching me.

ValerieAmelia

Familiar Face
Not a big fan of the Jessica Simpson ones...a lot of the time the texture and color is never real enough.

I got some nice ones @ Sally Beauty Supply when my hair was shorter, now it's about the same length but I still wear them sometimes when I go out for volume. They always seem to be on some sort of special too.

ValerieAmelia

Familiar Face
I forgot! The best thing about them is you can dye them! I TORTURED my brunette ones trying to get them (and me :mad: ) back to blonde...They held up really nice and while they were hard to lighten and I just finally went and bought some new blonde ones, they still grabbed on to the color quite well.

They come in a ton of different colors with natural looking highlights and have clips right on them.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
You bleached the ones from Sally to blonde? Wow! I thought you couldn't do that. I'm getting ready to do a serious, fire engine red, but I don't know what to do about my piece.

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
I have clip on extentions but my hair is so thick that they just don't blend in. I can use them for victory rolls with the back in a snood or braids but that's about it. I have head dread extentions and braids in the past and nothing has really worked except clip on ponytails.

epr25

Practically Family
Hi I was wondering if anyone had purchased the bangs. I don't mean to sound dense but how do those work? Would they not look like an animal is sitting on your head?

ValerieAmelia

Familiar Face
kamikat said:
You bleached the ones from Sally to blonde? Wow! I thought you couldn't do that. I'm getting ready to do a serious, fire engine red, but I don't know what to do about my piece.

No, I tried but I (and the extensions) ended up with like a wacky orangey color so I dyed it darker to cover it up for new years haha. But I was the one doing it wrong, I was an idiot when I was trying to go back to blonde. You can still dye them as long as you know what you're doing...I promised to never do my own after that.

I wash them with my own hair and then style them, as long as I do something with them they blend right in...Hot rollers are my favorite.

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
I have the clip on extentions from Sally's. My hair is thick and will hold curls forever but the curls in the extentions fall out rather quickly. I have trimmed them to between 8-10 inches so they are not very long. Any suggestions for keepin the curl in human hair extentions?

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Important Reminder!

I will be posting this message a couple other places as well, so please forgive the cross-posting.

If you have wigs, wig pieces or wigs for Halloween you are using and than discarding or are no longer using, PLEASE consider donating them to your local American Cancer Society Discovery Shop or location.

The wigs are accepted, sent to headquarters and remade as new wigs for cancer patients who have lost their hair and cannot afford a wig. All donations are tax-deductible as allowed by law.

Thank you for your consideration.

Vintage Betty

ValerieAmelia

Familiar Face
deadpandiva said:
I have the clip on extentions from Sally's. My hair is thick and will hold curls forever but the curls in the extentions fall out rather quickly. I have trimmed them to between 8-10 inches so they are not very long. Any suggestions for keepin the curl in human hair extentions?

Do you wash them? Maybe because they are so similar to my real hair in that they don't hold any curl, but I can blend them in well. I treat them just how I treat my real hair, I wash/dry/use product...Probably isn't so great cause I can't trim them as much as I trim my own hair, but I feel I can't wear them if they're on a different cleanliness level.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran