Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does Hat with Moth Damage have value?

jec

One of the Regulars
Hi everyone, newbie here. I've been lurking here for awhile and have learned loads from you all. Thanks. Now I need a bit of advice:

I purchased a vintage Stetson fedora last week on EBay. Perhaps some of you helped get the bidding up (!). Here is the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320256225909&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

When the hat arrived here the other day, I was thrilled: it fits me like a glove, the felt has that supple vintage feel that I had looking for and the color is perfect.... BUT then I noticed moth damage that was not disclosed in the auction write up. I do believe that the seller missed it, or never looked for it. And I, not being savvy yet in these things, neglected to ask him to look and report back. There is a noticeable divot of about 2mm diameter behind the feathers. That one is prominent, but not so deep. There is a second smaller but deeper hole right behind the lower edge of the ribbon that does go through the felt.

So what to do? I contacted the seller, who apologized and offered a refund. Classy. But I really like the hat! It fits, I love the color and look. It just needs some clean-up. I'd wear it as a beater and casual hat, I think. As my first vintage purchase, I think I could learn from cleaning it up myself.

But what is it worth? Is there a value on a hat that has damage that can not be repaired? Since none of the EBay bidders knew of the moth holes, we let the bidding get hot at the close of the auction. Clearly the price I paid is more than it should have been? But what would have been fair? What can the seller offer that would be fair.

Or would you advise me to just unload it because of the damage? I will appreciate all that you can offer. Thanks!

Jim

Crane's

Familiar Face
As far as the collectors value is worth I am clueless. What I do know is a modern fur felt would cost you a lot more money than what you've paid. If you bought it because you like it, which is what it sounds like you did, then the value placed on it is different. It shifts from money to sentiment.

Know what I mean?

Well, I doubt that your hat is all that "vintage." (It's such a vague distinction, you know. There is such a thing as a 1990s-vintage suit, for instance.) I'm certainly no expert on later Stetsons, but that liner and sweatband look newish to me. I hope I'm wrong about this, but I don't think I am. Perhaps besdor or another true expert can weigh in here.

I've bought hats with moth damage, but I knew about the damage before the purchase (I either bought the hats from someone here at the FL who knew enough to disclose the damage, or they were bought "in person" at a vintage shop or antique mall of some such place) and I didn't pay much for them. And in all cases there was something else about that hats that compelled me.

A shallow divot (or two or three or four) wouldn't be noticed by most people, and hardly render the hat unwearable under most circumstances. And some of them can be made to disappear, although I'd advise against trying that yourself unless or until you have the skills to do it right, lest you make the damage even more conspicuous.

A hole clear through the felt is another matter. One of my favorite knock-around hats, a vintage Knox OR-style lid, has such damage, but it's such a stylin' lid in so many other ways. It's just the thing to wear with my more faded jeans and scuffed-up boots. And I pulled off a little trick that, while it didn't actually repair the damage good as new, it made it all but invisible. (I'll keep that tip to myself for now, as I really don't advise anyone to try it himself. The potential for really screwing things up is just too great.)

Sounds like the seller wants to do the right thing. That's reason enough to believe that he never noticed the damage in the first place. But what's the right thing? You say the hat fits and you like the way it looks and the feel of the felt. I'd be tempted to ask for a partial refund and keep the hat, provided a deal can be cut that leaves both parties feeling they've been done fairly. Chalk it up to experience, wear the hat under conditions to which you might be reluctant to subject a more precious hat, and keep on the lookout for another lid. Or 10.

EDIT: I understand why you like that hat, by the way. It's nice style. The proportions look nice and all.

Magus

Practically Family
I agree with Tony. If you like ther way the hat feels and fits, keep it. Consider it your "travel hat" if it gets knocked around a bit...no big deal. I would ask for a partial refund...who knows. you just might get it. Also, based on the liner, nd the leatherband type, I would guess perhaps an 80's birthday on this one.

The most IMPORTANT thing though is this one simply question.

Do you like it?

If so...then you did just fine. :)

jec

One of the Regulars
Thanks for your thoughts. I was already thinking of requesting a partial refund - that was the premise of the thread....

I am surprised to hear that you think this is just from the '80s. I had thought older. And I am surprised, also to feel how soft and flexible the felt is. I am used to my Akubra field hats (Cattleman, Riverina, Angler)- and they are comparatively stiff and hard.

I appreciate the advice. And will let you know what the seller and I agree to do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany