Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does leather burn?

Bourbon Guy

A-List Customer
Hahahahahahahahahaha!

I'm not even going to read this thread!

Your clothes are fake! Watch while I set them on fire!

Hahahahahahahahahaha!

Bourbon Guy

A-List Customer
And how shall we put him out?

Don't call the fire department, just drink some more green beer!

Here it comes!

Hahahahahahahahaha!

KILO NOVEMBER

One Too Many
stephen1965 said:
... fee paying schools which are referred to as 'public schools' for some strange reason.

"Public schools" are public because the boys (when the term originated, only boys) were educated in the company of others, away from home, hence "in public" as opposed to being taught at home by tutors, in which case they were educated "privately".

nickn5

One of the Regulars
dr greg said:
My mum always told me to age gracefully, I'd look rather silly if I still had that hair in my mid-50's, although lots of old rockstars might not agree! lol

Well it looks as if you followed her advice I'd say... pity more don't actually ;)

N. :)

dr greg

One Too Many
the circle

Well, I started out like this in the 60's, so I must have just reverted to form :)
60suit.jpg

Pilgrim

One Too Many
avedwards said:
Strange title, but let me explain.

Last week I was in Oxford Street in London. I was wearing a grey Stetson Chatham with a brown leather jacket in the same vague shape as an A2. I was trying to look smart enough for the concert I was attending later, trying to copy an old look and not look like Indy, hence grey rather than brown fedora.

I walked past a shop with fedoras on sale. As I rarely see hat shops I went in. The hats were all cheap wool ones but the shop also had many leather jackets.

I was looking at one when a shop assisstant came up to me. He claimed that my jacket was fake leather and that he could prove it (I knew 100% that mine was real leather). He touched it with his lighter :eek: and it went black where he touched it. He claimed that real leather doesn't burn. He touched his leather jackets with his lighter and there was no result, possibly because his were black and soot wouldn't show up. I looked at his jacket and came to the conclusion that it was plastic and mine was real leather. I then knew that the he was a scammer and not to be trusted. I then asked if he had an A2 jacket. After I described what that was he showed me lots of jackets, none of which were anything like an A2. I then left.

So is it true that real leather does not burn or is that a lie?

And also, where my jacket was heated, it went black and shrank a bit. I stretched it back with my hands but how do I get rid of the black mark?

He owes you a jacket. Go in and talk with the shop owner...and demand a replacement. Whether your jacket is ruined or not isn't as much an issue as the owner knowing what happened and holding the employee responsible for it. If the owner wants to pay you $100 or so to ease your feelings rather than replacing the jacket, accept. Then you can wait outside and watch for the employee leaving after he gets fired - which in this case, he deserves.

I'm not usually such a hard-ass, but the combination of the employee's ignorance and INTENTIONAL damage to a customer's valuable jacket really p****s me off!!!!

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Pilgrim said:
He owes you a jacket. Go in and talk with the shop owner...and demand a replacement. Whether your jacket is ruined or not isn't as much an issue as the owner knowing what happened and holding the employee responsible for it. If the owner wants to pay you $100 or so to ease your feelings rather than replacing the jacket, accept. Then you can wait outside and watch for the employee leaving after he gets fired - which in this case, he deserves.
I would consider that plan of action, if I lived in London, but I think I might be pushing it if I demand a train ticket (£30-£40) as well as a new jacket. But should I return there, I might consider burning that shop assisstants clothing, but using a Zippo rather than some cheap disposable lighter. Or maybe the more respectable option you suggested.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
avedwards said:
I would consider that plan of action, if I lived in London, but I think I might be pushing it if I demand a train ticket (£30-£40) as well as a new jacket. But should I return there, I might consider burning that shop assisstants clothing, but using a Zippo rather than some cheap disposable lighter. Or maybe the more respectable option you suggested.

You'll find yourself in the pokey. :eusa_doh: You know why they call it the pokey. [huh] [huh]

bobalooba

One of the Regulars
I honestly think this has become a moot point. you didn't slap him around when it happened, you didn't demand anything when it happened, it's been a month now and I think you have no options left.

To repair the jacket however you could probably buy some sort of rain resistant goop stuff and put it on. Me being the lazy person I am I'd just get some shoe polish that matches your jacket's color. Or I'd just let it be, I think worn leather jackets look better than new ones.

Pilgrim

One Too Many
On a more practical basis, treat the burned spot with Lexol often to keep it as flexible as possible - you don't want it to crack there, which it could. Also, mail a letter to the shop complaining of the event. Then at least you're on record with a complaint.

JohnRawson1944

New in Town
fire proof

excuse my remark, but did you really think a salesman trick does any good to your jacket? fire causes damage. oil and / or wax are part of most leather treatment products and of course inflamable. even real leather could burn after a while, as it contains burnable fat - never let anybody turn a flame at your cloth, as extreme heat harms any texture of cloth - kind regards - JohnRawson

Justdog

Practically Family
Leather burn

avedwards said:
Strange title, but let me explain.

So is it true that real leather does not burn or is that a lie?

And also, where my jacket was heated, it went black and shrank a bit. I stretched it back with my hands but how do I get rid of the black mark?

Sorry but that was outrageous. Should have brained the twit:rage:
Of course leather burns:eusa_doh:

P5640blouson

One of the Regulars
Fire to jacket, the only good use that I know

Fire to jacket, the only good use that I know is to remove hanging residual threads. This is common trick in the military on military garments. Mil specs allow 1/2 inch hanging threads from manufacturing. As such, we usually find ourselves taking a torch to the excess thread ends to neat up our uniforms, being careful not to burn the fabric. It works great when done carefully. A nice sharp scissor is also effective for this but you also run the risk of cutting your fabric especially when you have 20 plus threads to snip and try to do quickly. Lighter can damage fabric and even weaken it even if you don't see visual damage. So, for some of my mil garments that I am collecting, I just let the excess threads stay there for originality.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
JohnRawson1944 said:
excuse my remark, but did you really think a salesman trick does any good to your jacket? fire causes damage. oil and / or wax are part of most leather treatment products and of course inflamable. even real leather could burn after a while, as it contains burnable fat - never let anybody turn a flame at your cloth, as extreme heat harms any texture of cloth - kind regards - JohnRawson
Since this thread is being revived, I'd like to clarify that I did not really allow this person to burn my jacket, he allowed himself to do so. I realised my mistake immediately, but it's too late to do anything, although Marc Chevalier was helpful enough to point out the shop's name on page three of this thread. Since that was February it's now too late to take any legal action.

Besides, I wore my leather jacket yesterday (with a waistcoat and tie) and it looked smart enough despite the damage. My leather jacket is to me a bit like Indiana Jones' - I wear it smartly sometimes whilst beating it up other times (though I make it a point not to look like Dr Jones). Considering the scratch marks it aquired on the back when I was crawling underneath a fence, the burn mark is now insignificant by comparison.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Carlisle Blues said:
It is not really too late. The statute of limitations has not run, however, if I were the judge I would ask one question: why did you let him do that?
Because I was too slow on account of being tired on that day due to not sleeping too well in the poor quality hostel I had stayed in the previous night. [huh] The question could be "Why did you not take action?" but I gave the answer for that on the previous five pages of this thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925