Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does leather burn?

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Strange title, but let me explain.

Last week I was in Oxford Street in London. I was wearing a grey Stetson Chatham with a brown leather jacket in the same vague shape as an A2. I was trying to look smart enough for the concert I was attending later, trying to copy an old look and not look like Indy, hence grey rather than brown fedora.

I walked past a shop with fedoras on sale. As I rarely see hat shops I went in. The hats were all cheap wool ones but the shop also had many leather jackets.

I was looking at one when a shop assisstant came up to me. He claimed that my jacket was fake leather and that he could prove it (I knew 100% that mine was real leather). He touched it with his lighter :eek: and it went black where he touched it. He claimed that real leather doesn't burn. He touched his leather jackets with his lighter and there was no result, possibly because his were black and soot wouldn't show up. I looked at his jacket and came to the conclusion that it was plastic and mine was real leather. I then knew that the he was a scammer and not to be trusted. I then asked if he had an A2 jacket. After I described what that was he showed me lots of jackets, none of which were anything like an A2. I then left.

So is it true that real leather does not burn or is that a lie?

And also, where my jacket was heated, it went black and shrank a bit. I stretched it back with my hands but how do I get rid of the black mark?

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
He sort of did it before I could do anything and at first he sounded plausible as I though I'd show him my jacket is real leather if it were true that real leather doesn't burn. And rather than argue I decided to just ask for an item I knew he wouldn't have to show him how little he actually knows.

I would post pictures but how? Every time I try to upload them I am told they are too large but they are just taken with an ordinery digital camera.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Depending on the severity. a burn mark on hide is there to stay (see "branding" above).
And that was not OK for the shopkeeper to do. I'd say he owes you a replacement, and frankly I wish you had been wearing a Rickson so you could hand him a bill for a thousand Pounds.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
The burn was not so severe, so I'm not going to get stressed over it. I can always claim it's a bullet hole to show how tough I am. It was rude but that was not the worst experience I had in London (came accross a drug den where I ignored the temtation to question and frighten the people faking being a PI). But since he only burned it with a disposable lighter for a few seconds I was wondering if the leather can be wiped or some sort of conditioner applied.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
scotrace said:
I'd say he owes you a replacement, and frankly I wish you had been wearing a Rickson so you could hand him a bill for a thousand Pounds.
I don't think a shopkeeper like that would pay the bill, so I'll be happy it was only a £50 jacket (bought in a clearance). And now I have an excuse to buy a real A2, not a jakcet which only looks like one from a distance.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
avedwards said:
Does leather burn?

Yep. Native Americans have been at it for eons.

alaskaneagle.jpg

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
If I remember my that particular lecture from my high school chemistry class correctly, everything on earth burns, at some point, whether it's genuine leather, fake leather, or the shops of smarmy salesmen who vandalize a guys jacket....:rage:

Rachael

A-List Customer
leather burns. it's skin. fake leather melts. it's plastic, as is polyester, nylon, and all synthetic fibers. all fiber verification tests should be done on scraps or seam allowances to avoid ruining the garment and with permission only.

also, only leather smells like leather so that is by far an easier test. and only leather has inside sueded grain so if you really want to know what your jacket is made of, you could have someone lift the lining to check for what the underside looks like.

and I would never spend a dime in that shop or darken the doorstep again.

Luke 42

One of the Regulars
avedwards said:
Strange title, but let me explain.

Last week I was in Oxford Street in London. I was wearing a grey Stetson Chatham with a brown leather jacket in the same vague shape as an A2. I was trying to look smart enough for the concert I was attending later, trying to copy an old look and not look like Indy, hence grey rather than brown fedora.

I walked past a shop with fedoras on sale. As I rarely see hat shops I went in. The hats were all cheap wool ones but the shop also had many leather jackets.

I was looking at one when a shop assisstant came up to me. He claimed that my jacket was fake leather and that he could prove it (I knew 100% that mine was real leather). He touched it with his lighter :eek: and it went black where he touched it.

And also, where my jacket was heated, it went black and shrank a bit. I stretched it back with my hands but how do I get rid of the black mark?

:eek: This cannot be true! That's the rudest thing to do:rage: Even if your jacket was fake leather, polyester or paper..it is none of his f**ing business.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Carlisle Blues said:
AV, you seem to be a reasonable person. Just how long did your this guy have a lighter to your jacket. What were you doing[huh]
He only touched my jacket for about two or three seconds before I stepped back which is why I am hopeful that the soot can be wiped off (it was a weak petrol lighter). Can brown shoe polish be used I wonder?

I bought it as an upgrade from a fake leather in the first place so I would have know the difference anyway as I have both to compare. I guess I'll just stick to Mayfair and Park Lane next time I'm in London, no strange people there.

But if he had touched my hat, even if it is only a modern Stetson (currently my best) I would definitely have strangled him with the tie I carry in my pocket. After that he even tried to flatter me suggesting that I had many girlfriends to which I indirectly told him to mind his own business.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Luke 42 said:
:eek: This cannot be true! That's the rudest thing to do:rage: Even if your jacket was fake leather, polyester or paper..it is none of his f**ing business.
Usually the salemen who have higher quality items than what you are wearing mind their own business, and those with lower quality items don't I've noticed. He was definitely in the latter group.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred