Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does shearling itch?

JohnS33931

One of the Regulars
Sorry for what is probably a dumb question - but I plead newbie.
I’ve tried to research this and have found that Alpaca is not supposed to itch - but haven’t found much on shearling jacket linings.
I have several Filson wool jackets that are scratchy, so I know that wool can bother me.
Thanks for any help.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
I have 8 jackets with mouton shearling collar. Non of them itch. They're all nice soft and warm :)
There's a reason they use it for collars, jacket liner and even glove liner.

Sorry for what is probably a dumb question - but I plead newbie.
I’ve tried to research this and have found that Alpaca is not supposed to itch - but haven’t found much on shearling jacket linings.
I have several Filson wool jackets that are scratchy, so I know that wool can bother me.
Thanks for any help.

Filson wool is fabric, right? Shearling is natural sheep fur and in my opinion, best feeling... Well, anything, you can wear. I'm quite sure you won't find it itchy.

Spiney

One of the Regulars
Good to know. I can’t wear lambs wool jumpers next to the skin. Itches me to death. Merino and Cashmere are fine though.

Harris HTM

One Too Many
Great to know - thank you!
Any temperature range recommendations?
As a collar or as a lining? Or as sheepskin jacket (as a B-6)?
In general it is really warm but it comes in different thicknesses (actually they trim the wool). A B-3 is much warmer than a B-6.
If it is a shearling lined leather jacket: then it'd feel less warm compared to a sheepskin jacket as usually the sleeves are not lined in shearling.

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
No itch.

Temperature wise I find it quite forgiving even when warmer. But I know others disagree here. Without debate, a thick shearling is suitable for VERY cold weather.

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Great to know - thank you!
Any temperature range recommendations?
I would say from +10 celius down to -10, -20 celsius. The great thing is that shearling regulates the temperature well. It is a pleasantly dry warmth. The more you move, the colder it should be lol
sitting i wear my vest at home too.

Harris HTM

One Too Many
Thank you - I’m thinking of it as a lining for a leather jacket.
I know I've repeated this on many threads but better safe than sorry and please learn from other people's experiences:
I own a shearling lined Aero Long Half Belt. My advice:
- don't ask for the thickest shearling available as I did, it'd be too warm and you'd limit the wear only on specific periods of time (well, it depends where you live);
- don't combine it with a heavy leather; I did ask for heavy FQHH and, combined with the thick shearling, got a total beast, heavy as an anvil;
- add and inch on sleeve and back length; I didn't and the thick lining "lifts" the whole jacket making the sleeves and back look short;
- get a mouton collar as well;
- check whether the complete body will be lined in shearling; mine is 2/3 shearling and 1/3 (the bottom part) is corduroy; I'd prefer 3/3 of shearling.

JohnS33931

One of the Regulars
I know I've repeated this on many threads but better safe than sorry and please learn from other people's experiences:
- don't ask for the thickest shearling available as I did, it'd be too warm and you'd limit the wear only on specific periods of time (well, it depends where you live);
- don't combine it with a heavy leather; I did ask for heavy FQHH and, combined with the thick shearling, got a total beast, heavy as an anvil;
- add and inch on sleeve and back length; I didn't and the thick lining "lifts" the whole jacket making the sleeves and back look short;
- check whether the complete body will be lined in shearling; mine is 2/3 shearling and 1/3 (the bottom part) is corduroy; I'd prefer 3/3 of shearling.

Thanks for the advice - the Long Half Belt is what I’m thinking of ordering!

MrProper

I agree.
Had a CR / Highwayman in CXFQHH lined with thick shearling. Was too short, not lined on the zipper and not wearable. Sold.

MrProper

“I agree.
Had a CR / Highwayman in CXFQHH lined with thick shearling. Was too short, not lined on the zipper and not wearable. Sold.”

How do you remedy the unlined zipper area?
in my case the shearling was added later, like a fabric lining. Normally (I think) the shearling should overlap and thus seal the zipper. Like this
78BF913C-044B-42AD-91F8-5C19241CF037.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana