Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does the bash make the man?

PapaSimone

Familiar Face
Hi all,
I've been reading through the Fedora Lounge hat folder since I got this midnight blue 1950's Resistol Fedora.
477868814_d11a855700.jpg

I snatched it up in a vintage shop here in San Francisco having decided that there were foggy days that necessitated something besides my grandfather's brown Stetson bowler and, my favorite, 1950's Grey, Sears straw Fedora (not sure if that's quite the way to refer to it).
Anyhow, it sat in the shop with a pinch crease in the front and I walked it through the 'hood like that without much notice from the neighbors (same pinch as the other lids but different color and completely different hat from my usuals).
That's when I read Matt's super cool thread about hat creases
Matt's Hat Creases thread
and just happen to be reading a biography on Lester Young so I bashed it into a porkpie and have been sporting it with many unsolicited comments and compliments. My wife says my swagger has a tad more swing Pork Pie style. What do you think? Is that bash the true secret behind Young's cool as martini solos? Does the bash make the man?
Oh yeah,
Here is the lovely lid sitting on my bust of Lenin.
477889593_87713ad5af.jpg

S

Samsa

I see the occasional fedora while out and about, but have not seen a porkpie on anyone other than musicians (and only the ones on TV, for that matter). Perhaps they are as rare out there as in this particular corner of the midwest, and that's what is catching all the attention.

How 'bout a picture of it on your noggin?

Oh, and welcome to the Lounge!

Feraud

Bartender
I would say the different hat styles and color do affect the way a man carries himself.
There are obvious aesthetic differences between a man in a gray suit and hat versus one in a print sportcoat and porkpie hat. Beneath the surface each one is giving off a particular impression to the viewer.

Warlock

Suspended
Lenin was a bust! Or Lenin is a bust. In my youth owning that staure would have meant that you either hid it or the John Birchers would burn down your house. There was all that Cold War paranoia. Now it is more of a historical curiosity.

Yes, I too have only seen the porkpie on musicians and modern hipsters. I also think it is a hat with a distinctive message, not unlike other hats like the homburg. I think it is also a hat that has an age-appropriate quality for most. Does anyone else feel it has that quality of being almost exclusively a young man's hat?

czack

One of the Regulars
I wear a Jaxon Monk porkpie. I know it's primarily for the "hipsters," but I usually dress casually and the porkpie seems to fit my wardrobe and personality a bit more.

MattC

A-List Customer
Is the bash that makes the man....

Nah. I think you wear the same Stratoliner and seem compleletly hip or completely rancher. Part of it is how you wear it, part how you carry yourself. I think you can wear a Pork Pie and look stodgy (difficult) or wear a Homberg and look hip (also difficult).

By the way, I once bought a wide brim "porkpie" that turned out to be an open road type hat, rebashed. And Strand Hatters in Australia bashes its version of the open road that way on request.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart