Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does this leather jacket fit me?

Laurus

Familiar Face
Here are a couple of hastily taken pictures, please excuse the state of the mirror:

PXL_20220825_231042405.MP.jpg

What gives me pause is the shoulders, they seem far too wide. Thoughts?

Attachments

• PXL_20220825_231137533.jpg
    PXL_20220825_231137533.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 115
Last edited:

Laurus

Familiar Face

Damon141

Practically Family
Save yourself the agony and look at a website called Thurston Bros which carries Vanson and two other great brands which can be fitted and there are dozens of different jackets that can be customized by sleeve length, body length and taper, different Leather choices and liner choices with various prices that start lower than what you will see at the mall.

yellowfever

One of the Regulars
Length is fine (it’s meant to be a short style) imo

But sleeves are an inch too short (as I warned can be an issue with this model….).vanson riding (rather than casual) jackets tend to have more generous sleeve lengths for riding purposes, so may work better for your arm length without having to get bigger sizes and going too big in the body…

But, indeed, as you thought and others agreed, the shoulders are too wide. That’s the biggest issue. As you say a smaller jacket with trimmer shoulders would have even shorter sleeves, so not a good option.

So you’ll have to go for a different model, a shame as the jacket looks great. But as others have said boxy fit jackets can be tricky. Riding jackets tend to be cut trimmer as they have to be a close fit for safety in a crash, so that’s maybe the way to go.

Before you send it back (if they take returns)/sell it on I suggest you treat it like a fit jacket and zip the jacket up and lay it on a flat surface and then measure everything yourself (as seller may not have been accurate) with a tailors tape. You can then decide based on the good and bad points of the fit what measurements you’d ideally want. This will give you a good references for your next jacket purchase.. Then you can consider based on this what measurements might work best for you (an extra inch on sleeves?, an inch or two less on shoulders?).

ie measure all of these

Chest at pit to pit
Sleeve from shoulder seam to cuff following curve on outside
Sleeve shoulder seam to cuff straight
Jacket length collar seam to hem down centre back
Waist across measured at hem
Shoulders seam to seam across back
Shoulders seam to seam across front

i hope you’re not too disheartened by this swing and a miss. It’s very typical to take a few goes to gradually understand what measurements and styles will work best for your body shape. Even folk going for custom made often take a few attempts to really dial in the fit, at least to the perfectionist standards of TFL…

good luck in your renewed search...

It’s not a fit you will ever be happy with. For all the reasons illuminated here and by merely asking the question “out loud” the answer presents itself. If you are set on this model it is one that Thurston “stocks” and they can help you make it fit with the modifications that are needed along with a plethora of personal choices for the end product.

I used Thurston Bros to help me understand what I need from a fit. You will eventually outgrow that need but it’s frankly invaluable and will save you a stack of cash if you continue to guess and hope for the best. My vote would be to sell this jacket and apply the funds toward a personalized version.

Mrfrown

One Too Many
If you’d like a comparison, here’s the one I recently picked up. I think the fit is good. I prefer the way it wears zipped, between the weight of the pockets the drape of the leather it hangs a little oddly when open
639E12C4-0631-4D23-BC44-E9FAD6DC0747.jpeg
FC49A3E2-0499-4608-AEC3-85CC1431F3B0.jpeg
5DE65EFB-CE16-4519-8E59-CD41265BE624.jpeg

abu_abunai

New in Town
Length is fine (it’s meant to be a short style) imo

But sleeves are an inch too short (as I warned can be an issue with this model….).vanson riding (rather than casual) jackets tend to have more generous sleeve lengths for riding purposes, so may work better for your arm length without having to get bigger sizes and going too big in the body…

But, indeed, as you thought and others agreed, the shoulders are too wide. That’s the biggest issue. As you say a smaller jacket with trimmer shoulders would have even shorter sleeves, so not a good option.

So you’ll have to go for a different model, a shame as the jacket looks great. But as others have said boxy fit jackets can be tricky. Riding jackets tend to be cut trimmer as they have to be a close fit for safety in a crash, so that’s maybe the way to go.

Before you send it back (if they take returns)/sell it on I suggest you treat it like a fit jacket and zip the jacket up and lay it on a flat surface and then measure everything yourself (as seller may not have been accurate) with a tailors tape. You can then decide based on the good and bad points of the fit what measurements you’d ideally want. This will give you a good references for your next jacket purchase.. Then you can consider based on this what measurements might work best for you (an extra inch on sleeves?, an inch or two less on shoulders?).

ie measure all of these

Chest at pit to pit
Sleeve from shoulder seam to cuff following curve on outside
Sleeve shoulder seam to cuff straight
Jacket length collar seam to hem down centre back
Waist across measured at hem
Shoulders seam to seam across back
Shoulders seam to seam across front

i hope you’re not too disheartened by this swing and a miss. It’s very typical to take a few goes to gradually understand what measurements and styles will work best for your body shape. Even folk going for custom made often take a few attempts to really dial in the fit, at least to the perfectionist standards of TFL…

good luck in your renewed search...
This sizing advice should be a sticky post/must read.

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
These are all old models bought on ebay I suppose? Because that model is 2" longer now, Vanson adjusted the pattern to modern standards a while back. So for anyone who likes the style and likes all but body length about it, the jacket can now be had new from Vanson for like 500 USD with that extra length.

Vanson Ike is a weird jacket. The piping looks off. The collar is too small. I’m actually surprised these get ordered at all. It could easily be improved with some super simple modifications. Ditch the piping, put an actual HB on the back and add a pinch of 9D (no snaps) collar.
Bonus points for snap button cuffs.

Seeing all these pics, Vanson Ike just doesn't seem to look even remotely good on anyone at all... In comparison to the usual jackets being showcased here, of course. To me, OP wears it best.

Last edited:

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Vanson Ike is a weird jacket. The piping looks off. The collar is too small. I’m actually surprised these get ordered at all.

Seeing all these pics, Vanson Ike just doesn't seem to look even remotely good on anyone at all... In comparison to the usual jackets being showcased here, of course.
I agree, this is not a good looking design. Those pockets are placed way too high, they should have been placed at least two inches lower.

Brandrea33

One Too Many
I agree, this is not a good looking design. Those pockets are placed way too high, they should have been placed at least two inches lower.
Those appear to be some very wide shoulders for a size 38 … out of curiosity, what do they measure?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails