Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does this Look Like a Golden Era Shoe?

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
They appear to have Edwardian influences; a bit much for the streamlined look of the golden era. However, they are very handsome. Let me see if I can grab some shoe catalog references and check.

VB

Lawman

One of the Regulars
That would be terrific. These are very high end Grensons, and retail up around $700.00. I am not sure I like the patterned leather.

Lawman

One of the Regulars
Your thoughts are in line with my instincts. I am a 45 year old lawyer, and I'm not sure that look would work. Maybe with some cream flannels or linen trousers???

Vintage Betty

I scanned a whole bunch of vintage shoe advertisements last night. Will try to post over the weekend for reference so you can decide what's right for you. Note I haven't tried and haven't looked hard for 1950's, but do have authentic advertisements for 1920's, 1930's, and 1940's that I will be posting along with the source of the material.

Oh and do you need reference material for putting together outfits with said shoes? Let me know, I have that too, but didn't scan it for you. If desired, some reference material for outfits will be black and white photos.

Marty, ya watching this thread? ;)

Vintage Betty

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
I would say they would work. They won't be 100% authentic, but would cetainly have th3 look adn feel. If you are being areal purist, go with something strictly authentic, such as certain AE styles. But if you like the shose and are wondering if they will fitt into a vintage wordrobe nicely, I woudl say yes.

Patrick Murtha

Practically Family
Lawman said:
Your thoughts are in line with my instincts. I am a 45 year old lawyer, and I'm not sure that look would work. Maybe with some cream flannels or linen trousers???

I think they look just smashing. I'm a 49-year-old organizational development executive, and I'd wear 'em in a heartbeat. And what a price given the quality. Go for it!

Vintage Betty

I think I organized these correctly. I apparently didn't have any 1940's shoe advertisements in this batch. I will look if I have time.

Bernard Hewitt Catalog, 1920

bernard_hewitt_catalog_1920_cover.JPG

bernard_hewitt_catalog_1920_shoes1.JPG

bernard_hewitt_catalog_1920_shoes2.JPG

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Lawman said:
That would be terrific. These are very high end Grensons, and retail up around $700.00. I am not sure I like the patterned leather.

I was looking at those and they are not properly webbed - its just an effect - created on them by grensons according to a guy who looked at them on styleforum.net where there is a thread on same.

The Shooman

Practically Family
lt's amazing to see how many shoos were highly decorated in those days. Because of cost cutting, you only see that type of stuff at the top end now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner