Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does this trench coat fit?

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Depends how you are going to wear it and what you will be wearing underneath the coat. Heavy jumper? Suit? all this could alter how it hangs from the photo you have posted.
J

Evan Everhart

A-List Customer
I'll have to take the part of the general consensus of the posts thus far....It is indeed to large for you. It's one thing if a top-coat of any type fits slightly roomily on you when worn without a jacket underneath (they are invariably designed to be worn with a jacket beneath), but it's another thing entirely when the coat is an entire size or size and a half too large for you as appears to be the case here. At most, the top coat should only be fractionally too big for you in the shoulders and chest, so as to allow for your jacket beneath, unless you intend that your jacket should have shoulder padding like the wings of the spruce goose....But yeah, even with a jacket beneath, the sleeves there look too long. The sleeves of the top coat should be just long enough so that ideally, the edge of the cuff of the jacket sleeve should be just visible, and just visible beneath that of course, should be the cuff of your shirt which may or may not be covered by the lower edge of your gloves....Gradients and all that jazz.

1214121817b_zps319e402a.jpeg

Like in this shot here, camel hair over-coat, then jacket, then shirt, and glove.

Last edited:

green papaya

One Too Many
I think it looks OK , I was never into the "snug fit" I like a overcoat to fit loose enough to wear over regular clothing like a sweater or other layers, you need room to move, it's a trench coat

NOt to derail the thread, but doesn't this advice complete negate the worth of a topcoat - to provide warmth? The wind would just whistle up your arms if you gradient like this. I always want a topcoat to cover everything above the gloves, to at least do its job of keeping the cold out.

The sleeves of the top coat should be just long enough so that ideally, the edge of the cuff of the jacket sleeve should be just visible, and just visible beneath that of course, should be the cuff of your shirt which may or may not be covered by the lower edge of your gloves....Gradients and all that jazz.

1214121817b_zps319e402a.jpeg

Like in this shot here, camel hair over-coat, then jacket, then shirt, and glove.

Hal

Practically Family
...you need room to move, it's a trench coat
It isn't, strictly speaking, a trench coat, though it may be a raincoat. A trench coat is double-breasted and belted, with epaulettes and often with other military ornamentation. This has been pointed out in earlier threads and I was surprised that it hadn't been in this one.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
My 2 cents: Yes, it's a little loose. It would be good to see you in it (and don't cut your head off next time!) wearing a suit of sport jacket under it. It might be only marginally loose, in which case, if you really love it, and it really is a beautiful coat, you might enjoy wearing it anyway. The baron is correct, it's for warmth.

Evan Everhart

A-List Customer
NOt to derail the thread, but doesn't this advice complete negate the worth of a topcoat - to provide warmth? The wind would just whistle up your arms if you gradient like this. I always want a topcoat to cover everything above the gloves, to at least do its job of keeping the cold out.

Not really, if the coat fits properly, you'll never really feel anything going up your sleeve, also, I had my arm bent dramatically to really show the stepped effect. In actual wear, it is not that dramatic a gradation. The idea was to show that it should be marginally, at least graded. I always like my cuffs to show and that's usually how my great-grandfather, grandfather and father wore theirs too. Just saying.

Tkecks

Familiar Face
fit is a personal thing, but I've always read that the sleeves on an overcoat should cover the cuffs of a suit & shirt worn beneath. If you let your arms loose by your sides the cuff should sit at about the base of your thumbs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR