Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does vintage make you look.... *older*?

martinsantos

Practically Family
Maybe vintage clothing can really make some to look "older" to others. This clothing style is for adults, not kids. The image envolved here is of an adult - what can be misunderstood as a cloth to older people.

I not sure now, but if I remember well the very concept of "adolescence" as a well-determined period of life is very recent. At the turn of century or you was a kid or an adult. There wasn't anything between. And probably there was the same idea on 30s and 40s.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Teen culture began to manifest itself in America in the 1920s -- read the "Harold Teen" comic strip for a faithful depiction of the teen fads and slang of that era, and on into the '30s. Teens tended to ape the fashions of college kids of the day, down to silly things like sweatshirts with snappy slogans inked on them, and excessively wide-legged pants on the boys, and the slang tended to be just as impenetrable to adults as it is today. "Well fan mah brow, if it ain't stark love!" "Aw, bank's closed, ya cake eater!" "Ay tank I go home!"

The big difference between then and now is that if a 30-year-old in 1935 went around dressing and talking and acting like a teenager, he would not be -- ah -- well regarded in his town.

Last edited:

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
... The big difference between then and now is that if a 30-year-old in 1935 went around dressing and talking and acting like a teenager, he would not be -- ah -- well regarded in his town.

Well said. There are way too many "adults" today that can not (or will not) "grow up".

Marla

A-List Customer
Most people have me pegged as being about 4-5 years older (or more) than I actually am . I don't know if it's the vintage clothes, specifically, or the way I speak and carry myself. Probably a combination of the two. Not that I mind--I've always felt older than my actual age. My face is very youthful looking and the clothes help to "boost" my age a little. Everyone is always surprised when they learn that I'm 18. Some even get mad because they feel fooled! At this point in my life I'd rather appear older--no one regards teens seriously.

Cobden

Practically Family
An interesting one I found from re-enacting; if I'm wearing an OR's (enlisted) uniform, people think I'm younger then I am, and officers they think I'm older. Very odd

Pompidou

One Too Many
I think it's good that people aren't growing up like they used to. Growing up is overrated, in my opinion. I don't plan on it. My intent is to generally do whatever I want till I die. If I change, and I probably will, it'll be organic to me, and not imposed by external expectations.

BrandonCarlson

New in Town
People usually think I'm older then I am, because you don't see too many 20 year old kids that wear suits and a thin moustache. I also go to school with a lot of older people in the drafting program so they just assume I'm closer to their age instead of just out of high school. A lot of people joke around (but have a good point) that I should be an instructor because I always look professional, and we have an instructor that comes to class late and wears rock and roll t-shirts and is just overall pretty un-professional, but I guess it's just one of those things[huh]

Agreed. People are always shocked when they find out I'm 20 years old. A lady at work the other day went on to my mother (who also works with me) about how shocked she was I was as young as I am, because "he doesn't act like the other boys that work upstairs, he's so nice and polite" I'd rather be nice and polite than act like the 'children' who, sadly, are my best friends.

I am glad that some of us can grow up, as it seems so rare these days. I think it's because nobody wants to accept responsibility for anything. They don't wanna do like generations before them and go out, get a job, work 40 hours (or more) a week, buy a house, pay the mortgage, get married, have a family, take care of their kids, you know, be a grown up. It's like that hasn't been taught for the past 30 years or so.

At this point in my life I'd rather appear older--no one regards teens seriously.

MissHannah

One Too Many
I think that wearing vintage throws off a lot of the cultural signifiers that people use to estimate a person's age. I am 38 and people get my age wrong in both directions by a good 5-10 years. In terms of skin, hair etc I don't look particularly 'good' or 'bad' for my age - I'd say I look like a 38 year old. The shorter curled set hair is associated with elderly women in this country so that would explain why people mistake me for being older I suppose, but I don't get why they would think I was younger, unless they are just flattering me of course!

Last edited:

Drappa

One Too Many
For me there are certain parts of different eras that are ageing, because they are associated with things the elderly wear, or because they are more modest than what is considered stylish now. I think the main culprits are facial hair, hemlines, hairstyles and footwear.
40's hemlines are low and can be ageing, especially if worn with authentic footwear. I find 40's shoes look very much like modern orthopaedic footwear, which would signal brittle bones=old age to people I suppose. Since most women wear skirts at or above the knee, no matter if they're 45 or 15, lower hemlines tend to be considered old-fashioned or ageing, even when long skirts come back into fashion once every few years.
The same goes for 50's hairstyles, simply because they are nearly identical to what the Blue-Rinse-Brigade would wear, ie. elderly ladies who have thinning hair and cut and curl it for more volume. Heavy make-up is also ageing no matter the decade, so I suppose bright lipstick doesn't help.
Personally I think lots of vintage enthusiasts do look older the more authentic they are, but don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. There are also lots of middle aged modern dressers who look utterly ridiculous because they dress exactly like their teenage children, but aren't fooling anyone, so I'd prefer to look my age or older, not mutton dressed as lamb. Having said that, people usually think I am younger than 32. Last year I got asked for my ID twice before buying wine and people are sometimes surprised at my age, so I don't worry too much about my clothes making me look old.

Pompidou

One Too Many
I started growing a beard so that I'd look older. Without it, everyone seemed to think I was 20. My Stetson whippet made people think I was older still. My Vintage Silhouettes makes me look younger, being more ostentatious.

Seems to me, people in general just dislike looking their age. Kids want to be like the older kids. We dress like our grandparents. Most adults dress like 20 year olds. Some women still have a stigma against admitting their real age. If there needs to be disapproval for not looking one's age, in my opinion, it needs to work both ways. Trying to pass for 20 when you're 40 seems silly to a lot of people here, but is it sillier than trying to pass for 60 when you're 30? I say, there should be no age-clothes stigma either way, or at least, we're just as guilty as the folks trying to dress young, since apparently both cases reflect a detachment from reality.

MissHannah

One Too Many
I'd rather look authentic than younger. I know that cutting my hair into a cute bob with bangs would make me look years younger but it just doesn't interest me. I really don't care how much older or younger my vintage clothes make me look *shrugs*

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Well said, Miss H. I've never cared about what age I look -- I didn't care when I was 18, or 28, or 38, or 48, and I won't care when I'm 58 either. All I know is there are two things in the world that were never meant to be seen by humanity, and they're my knees. If covering them up makes me look older, well, there might be something I could care less about, but I'm not sure what it would be.

Drappa

One Too Many
If there needs to be disapproval for not looking one's age, in my opinion, it needs to work both ways. Trying to pass for 20 when you're 40 seems silly to a lot of people here, but is it sillier than trying to pass for 60 when you're 30?

But who actually tries to do that? Dressing in 50's clothing doesn't mean I'd like to look like I am the age of my grandmother, it just means I like the silhouette better.
Trying to dress like a teenager when you are not signifies fear of ageing to me, whereas deliberately dressing in something that *may* make one look older signifies lack of that fear. This only applies to adults though, as I suspect teenagers are usually still trying to find their style, so it's not often a sign of self-confidence if they try to look older.

martinsantos

Practically Family
I tried a mustache to look older when I started to work alone. I was afraid that no one would contract me because my age (it would suggest lack of experience).

I looked just a young man with a ridiculous mustache; and people contracted me ever with that thing in my face! So I took it out and made my job.

Agree with you that a lot of people want to look another age that really is. Too young want to look a little older; after a while, try to look a little younger...

I just don't agree with you that a particular liking about style means the same than to try to forger the true age. When i use a hat, suit, etc, I don't wnat to look as my grandfather would look if alive (101 y.o.). If so, I would have to use a LARGE amount of makeup!! I think most people here like a certain type os style clothing, music, and so on.

Maybe is somewhat detached from reality? I think not. It would be if you open an edition of Life magazine and ask seriously your wife if she wants to see that new film with Fred Astaire, because the magazine is telling it's pretty good.

I started growing a beard so that I'd look older. Without it, everyone seemed to think I was 20. My Stetson whippet made people think I was older still. My Vintage Silhouettes makes me look younger, being more ostentatious.

Seems to me, people in general just dislike looking their age. Kids want to be like the older kids. We dress like our grandparents. Most adults dress like 20 year olds. Some women still have a stigma against admitting their real age. If there needs to be disapproval for not looking one's age, in my opinion, it needs to work both ways. Trying to pass for 20 when you're 40 seems silly to a lot of people here, but is it sillier than trying to pass for 60 when you're 30? I say, there should be no age-clothes stigma either way, or at least, we're just as guilty as the folks trying to dress young, since apparently both cases reflect a detachment from reality.

Miss sofia

One Too Many
I heartily agree!

The only person who ever commented to me that my vintage attire was "a bit ageing", was sporting a rather dodgy facelift.

I don't care whether vintage makes me look older, i'm happy with my lifestyle choice and have no interest in whether it makes me look younger or older.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Very few people comment on my age (fortunately - how rude!) but those that do peg me at 5 or so years younger, regardless of how I dress. I think it is a combination of good skin and a slightly naive outlook on life. The fact that I don't have children also makes people think I am at an earlier stage in life.

Of course, the styles I wear are sort of "young" 50s styles - the cigarette pants and ballet pumps, full skirts, cuffed jeans with plimsolls. Not really things that women my age wore then! But I am really not ready to move into the "Gracious Lady" range, as I believe Sears called it.

MikeBravo

One Too Many
Wanting to look younger was a topic on Oprah some time ago. No, I don't ever, ever watch Oprah.

A lady in the audience stood up and asid "Look at your photo in your school yearbook and tell me you want to look like that again"

Berlin

Practically Family
It seems that I do look older.
When I was going in to therapy, the first plan was to let me take part in a part-time treatment with people my age (20-25).
I am 24, but there was no way that I felt the need participating in that treatment. When my psychologist saw me for the very first time, to take an interview if I was a candidat for it or not; he commented that, even tho I had their age...I was somehow 'older'. Not old looking, but the behaviour of someone in her thirties, and that I wouldn't fit the part time treatment because of it, cause it would make me an outcast and that's the very thing they try to avoid.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner