Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does vintage make you look.... *older*?

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I like the distinguished stereotype that is sometimes associated with the elderly wearing classic clothing, but I'm embracing my youth, early twenties anyway, and a more youthful retro/modern style. I'm not sure if I want to look totally anachronistic, but I admire those that do choose to fully assume a vintage appearance (with regard to nearly or every single article of clothing). Vintage for me basically includes wearing a fedora or homburg occasionally, sporting a pomade/Brylcreem slicked, side-parted or pompadour hairstyle, shirts with collars, a G1 leather jacket, sometimes a sport coat, and not wearing jeans all the time.

I don't remember being called "old," or seen as looking over my age, actually the opposite. Whenever this is brought up, on the rare occasion it is, I'm told I look younger than my age of 21. Last year in fact, a girl sitting next to me and I were chatting a bit before class started, and she inquired about my age, only to be surprised. She thought I was one of those younger high school students that got there because of exceptional grades (she thought I was 15 or 16 years old). While ordering a pair of slacks or chinos on the web, I have actually been told that it looked like old man's clothes that I was browsing, but that's about all I can remember with regard to anything close to the thread topic. They were brown, pretty high waisted (not that there's anything wrong with that at all, I wear my pants at or an inch below the naval), pleated pants. I didn't end up buying it due to the cost and after looking at the materials ("stretch fabric" cotton/polyester blend), though.

Last edited:

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
I like the distinguished stereotype that is sometimes associated with the elderly wearing classic clothing, but I'm embracing my youth, early twenties anyway, and a more youthful retro/modern style.

If you look at clothing advertising from the '20s and '30s, "older" men are often showcased, a real reversal from what we see today. Regarding your retro/modern style, I think you're on track; for a lot of us, there is no desire to look anachronistic, but to rather borrow some styles from the past and incorporate them into our own "look."

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
I get called an old man by my mother constantly.....

Ha, I get it occasionally from my mother too. I used to hear it more pre-vintage, though.... "you'll be old before your time" was a constant refrain in relation both my cynicism and objection to things like short trousers and 'trendy' clothes. Fortunately, my mother's aesthetic opinion has never been important to me. ;)

angeljenny

A-List Customer
I wonder if dressing in a vintage / 1950's style will make me look older!

Most people think I have pretty traditional ideas and even my Grandparents think I am old fashioned so maybe a more mature "outside" would suit.

I hate that. I got a lecture from my Ma about how I never have any fun, besides 'old guy fun'. I beg to differ, I'm always out and about with my friends and such, so I'm not quite sure where that came from. My brother chimed in that he sees me as a Dragnet and Canasta kinda guy. I also get it for my hair and such from my Ma. Pa's more supportive. He thinks I look professional, which he likes when I'm working in his shop. He also likes my hats (he's a derby guy, himself, though he's chicken to wear one). It just drives me crazy. My sister does her own thing and she's original, my brother does his own thing, it's just his way. I do my own thing, I'm an old man. Okay, rant over (for now lol)

Ha, I get it occasionally from my mother too. I used to hear it more pre-vintage, though.... "you'll be old before your time" was a constant refrain in relation both my cynicism and objection to things like short trousers and 'trendy' clothes. Fortunately, my mother's aesthetic opinion has never been important to me. ;)

I get that from my kids......and my wife.

Tiller

Practically Family
I've answered this question once, but since that was so long ago I'll answer it again :p. I've never been accused of being an "old man", in fact recently it's been the opposite. With such tv hits as "Mad Men", and "Broadway Empire" around now I've somehow found myself being on the edge of mainstream pop culture. :eek: :(

I've been called classic, retro, studly, and of course "Don Draper like" (A compliment of sorts I guess [huh]). At least from people who are around my age.

People who are older including most of my aunts, and uncles, call me either Frank or Dino since I remind the nice boomers of the Rat Pack, and the Dean Martin show. Which I assume is because of how I dress since I don't sing Everybody Loves Somebody Sometime, before I leave someone's house.

For those who are labeled "old" I would ask what would you rather have someone trying to relieve their teen years or someone who is making an effort? I think western culture is filled with enough "boy-men" still pretending they are 18. Nothing says class like a forty year old getting in a fight with one of his friends over a X-Box 360 game, spilling their Pepsi all over Mom's new couch in the process :p. So for those Mother's out there bemoaning that junior isn't embracing modem culture.... be careful what you hope for.

I'd rather smoke my pipe listening to a Bing Crosby record, holding nothing in my free hand but the shoulder of some pretty little thing who likes to smile when my eyes meet hers any day. Old you say? Ha. Old is a state of mind, youth is over rated, Holden Caulfield was a spoiled brat not a philosopher, and what is old is often new again.

Well, nobody around here seems to have heard of 'Mad Men' that hurts my 'cutting edge' angle lol

It does sound like you're living the life though, my friend!

I've answered this question once, but since that was so long ago I'll answer it again :p. I've never been accused of being an "old man", in fact recently it's been the opposite. With such tv hits as "Mad Men", and "Broadway Empire" around now I've somehow found myself being on the edge of mainstream pop culture. :eek: :(

I've been called classic, retro, studly, and of course "Don Draper like" (A compliment of sorts I guess [huh]). At least from people who are around my age.

People who are older including most of my aunts, and uncles, call me either Frank or Dino since I remind the nice boomers of the Rat Pack, and the Dean Martin show. Which I assume is because of how I dress since I don't sing Everybody Loves Somebody Sometime, before I leave someone's house.

For those who are labeled "old" I would ask what would you rather have someone trying to relieve their teen years or someone who is making an effort? I think western culture is filled with enough "boy-men" still pretending they are 18. Nothing says class like a forty year old getting in a fight with one of his friends over a X-Box 360 game, spilling their Pepsi all over Mom's new couch in the process :p. So for those Mother's out there bemoaning that junior isn't embracing modem culture.... be careful what you hope for.

I'd rather smoke my pipe listening to a Bing Crosby record, holding nothing in my free hand but the shoulder of some pretty little thing who likes to smile when my eyes meet hers any day. Old you say? Ha. Old is a state of mind, youth is over rated, Holden Caulfield was a spoiled brat not a philosopher, and what is old is often new again.

Tiller

Practically Family
Well as they say old man (In the English sense not the insult :p).

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment."

Be yourself, and be kind to your mother, but as far as clothing style/ your attitude and your mother goes.... well it's not like your trying to attract her so she isn't a part of the conversation really. Just be thankful she isn't after Grandchildren yet.

Agreed. So many people I talk to love my hats and my clothes and would love to wear fedoras and suits, but are afraid of what others will say. I just think you gotta do what makes you happy.

I am always very kind to my mother. My folks and I are more friends than anything these days. They are both after grandchildren very much, however. Lord knows that I ain't financially ready for that, not to mention that it usually takes more than one person to make a child lol

I wish vintage - or anything - made me look older. Whatever I wear, my face still looks like it's about 21. I get mistaken for a damn graduate student in my workplace, with the attendant lack of respect from other academics and collaborators until they know i'm about 10 years older than they imagine.

bk

rue

Well as they say old man (In the English sense not the insult :p).

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment."

Be yourself, and be kind to your mother, but as far as clothing style/ your attitude and your mother goes.... well it's not like your trying to attract her so she isn't a part of the conversation really. Just be thankful she isn't after Grandchildren yet.

Both very well put :D

Tom, you should use Mr. Tiller as your mentor :)

Miss Tuppence

A-List Customer
Does vintage make you look older….

…Obviously not as someone thought I was 15 years old last year (I’m actually 21!) so it will be my 16th this year then, hehe!!! Mind you there are times when I put on a dirndl and look no older than a twelve y/o!:eek:

Yet there have been instances when people think that I’m older than my sister- she is 2 1/2 years older than me….. I must be able to have it both ways!

brspiritus

One of the Regulars
I've had people tell me I've gotten 20 years younger over the past year. For me it's the moustache, I used to sport a french cavalier look (van dyke) but I got rid of it in favour of a Django Reinhart pencil moustache. Now everyone tells me I'm 27 when I'm actually 37. YMMV

Tifa

Familiar Face
I'm 27 myself and I think I look my age, not really younger but not older either.
Depends on who you compare to.
Comparing me with another 27year old (I believe we are about the same age anyway)woman who dresses in a total different style like Paris Hilton
Paris%20Hilton001.jpg

I think people would think I'm older next to her dressed like that.

But it also depends on what vintage look you have. A flirty 50's look usually takes off a few years while a 30's/40's might ad a few years, since many people see movies/pictures from that era and think of their grandparents.
Since it also was a time without typical clothes for teenagers and younger people.

When I look at many pictures from 40-50's sometimes its really hard to see if the girl is 18 or 28, it's just the style really.
article-1215970-04BA905D0000044D-940_306x423.jpg

Elizabeth Taylor at 20. For me she could be 18-30. It's hard to tell!

Vintage style has a lot of class, and when you talk about class I think many people think of older people.
You rarely think of a random 15-20 year old as classy these days...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters