Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does wearing vintage Get you noticed by the opposite sex?

Tatum

Practically Family
She might be shy but who knows. I get sick of trying to play Criswell the mind reader with the lot of em. Every mask has a visible seam, you know? So I say come out with it already, what's back there that's so awful?

If she doesn't giggle and snort to my constant movie references and inside jokes then she'll just think I'm an unfunny douche. There are girls who haven't seen Goodfellas and don't know who Eddie Cochran is. It seems that they're not willing to be taught these things either.:eusa_doh:

I just thought of something else, correct me if I'm wrong. You come across as a very confident guy... Also one with style. Perhaps you're a tad intimidating? I've had people tell me that until they get to know me, I'm intimidating, mostly because of the vintage thing. Certain people will NOT approach me for that very reason: I have a style that no one else in my area has, and I don't hide in a corner with it... That silly "she's too cool [or thinks she is] to talk to ME!" which is total nonsense since I am super friendly.

Maybe that has something to do with it?

Which, to add to the general discussion, even though I am married, if you approach me in a nice way, I will always chat. I'm almost never rude, unless the approacher is slurring drunk or comes with a bad pickup line. And if you seem nice but interested, I casually throw out that I'm married in conversation somewhere and proceed to introduce you to all my friends... :)

Travis Lee Johnston

Practically Family
I just thought of something else, correct me if I'm wrong. You come across as a very confident guy... Also one with style. Perhaps you're a tad intimidating? I've had people tell me that until they get to know me, I'm intimidating, mostly because of the vintage thing. Certain people will NOT approach me for that very reason: I have a style that no one else in my area has, and I don't hide in a corner with it... That silly "she's too cool [or thinks she is] to talk to ME!" which is total nonsense since I am super friendly.

Maybe that has something to do with it?

Which, to add to the general discussion, even though I am married, if you approach me in a nice way, I will always chat. I'm almost never rude, unless the approacher is slurring drunk or comes with a bad pickup line. And if you seem nice but interested, I casually throw out that I'm married in conversation somewhere and proceed to introduce you to all my friends... :)

I kinda dressed down for our meeting(plain white cowboy shirt, pleated grey slacks, Doc Marten shoes and a blue Levis jacket) and I always try to not talk too much, which can get difficult when they aren't saying too much. Silence doesn't make me uncomfortable but sitting there for over a minute of quiet time more than once can feel awkward on a first meeting. But I'm much taller than her and I'm pretty stout. She and I both have quite a bit of tattoos.
I don't think anyone would want to meet someone who was overconfident.

Trust me, we appreciate that! I give women the same respect. My best friend leads women on all the time and then when they get upset, he goes "I don't know what I did." Then I end up ranting to him how he's playing with their poor hearts. FRUSTRATING! lol

Which is not charming! I personally abide by the tried and true method: Don't flirt with men you aren't interested in, and if you are, be fascinated by every word he says. :)

angeljenny

A-List Customer
That is awful! A textbook case of assault. Don't ever let these bullies intimidate you. Staring them in the eyes and saying "Don't. Touch. Me." always works.
(Of course, if they grab somewhere other than your arm, a slap is warranted.)

I am a bit of a scaredy cat! I don't know what I do to provoke it as I am always modestly dressed and try to be polite.

Maybe I am over reacting though as when it happens to my friends they just laugh and try to get the man in question to buy them a drink so perhaps they think it is acceptable behaviour.

HepKitty

One Too Many
I am a bit of a scaredy cat! I don't know what I do to provoke it as I am always modestly dressed and try to be polite.

Maybe I am over reacting though as when it happens to my friends they just laugh and try to get the man in question to buy them a drink so perhaps they think it is acceptable behaviour.

If they touch you and you don't want to be touched, and they don't stop when you tell them firmly to stop or let go, remove their hands or pull away. If you're assertive they should get the idea without you having to be aggressive or rude (which can, in extreme cases, invite trouble). I highly recommend self-defense classes just in case though

Gene

Practically Family
It just seems every woman I meet has 200 guys chasing them, and they make sure to make that known. I think they think it makes them look like a hot commodity, really it just makes it seem like they're more interested in the other guys than you.

This has happened to me more times that I can remember. It's all about being a big fish in a small pond. I remember I was going to IU in Bloomington, Indiana, and there were maybe about 5 or 6 girls who dressed in vintage clothes and had vintage hair etc., and I swear always following them were a wolf pack of 200 guys drooling. When it comes to that point, I don't even try anymore and honestly I feel embarrassed for even thinking I could compete with that many others. I just end up feeling like one of the other 200 a-holes who tried to chat a girl up.

On a side note, dressing vintage has never gotten me play. It's actually more of a deterrent I find, and not what girls around here want. I believe more often than not they think I am a little too "happy."

Last edited:

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
When it comes to that point, I don't even try anymore and honestly I feel embarrassed for even thinking I could compete with that many others. I just end up feeling like one of the other 200 a-holes who tried to chat a girl up.

I offer a quotation from The Seven Year Itch:

"Your imagination! You think every girl's a dope. You think a girl goes to a party and there's some guy in a fancy striped vest strutting around giving you that I'm-so-handsome-you-can't-resist-me look. From this she's supposed to fall flat on her face. Well, she doesn't fall on her face. But there's another guy in the room, over in the corner. Maybe he's nervous and shy and perspiring a little. First, you look past him. But then you sense that he's gentle and kind and worried. That he'll be tender with you, nice and sweet. That's what's really exciting. "

I can't speak for every woman in the world, but for most, this is very true :)

Mr Vim

One Too Many
Recently I have had a lot of women ask me why I dress the way I do (a comination of vintage and modern but always with a fedora.)

I also hear this a lot, "I wish my boyfriend dressed that nice." Which is a nice indirect compliment. Honestly, judging by the way this thread is going, I say that it doesn't matter how you dress but what sort of person you are under it all. I'm reading this book about the stars of MGM during the early years (1920s to the 1940s) and pretty much despite all their dapperness and glamour they were sort of horrible people. Not all, but man, a lot of those folks had problems.

To sum up: Don't judge a book by its cover, but its nice to appreciate it all the same.

Travis Lee Johnston

Practically Family
Ask her for her number!! In girl talk she's telling you, "Take me away handsome. My boyfriend is a goon, but if you show me you want me and have the gusto to do something about it I'll go with you".

Last edited:

HepKitty

One Too Many
That is indeed me. Thanks a lot HepKitty, you just boosted this fella's confidence, just wish there were more like you around here :)

There are some swing dancers here which is great but I'm the only one who really dresses up. Even in Salt Lake City most wear jeans. Boring! I've decided not to care though

Rats Riley

A-List Customer
There are some swing dancers here which is great but I'm the only one who really dresses up. Even in Salt Lake City most wear jeans. Boring! I've decided not to care though
Good for you darlin'!
I'm glad to see someone sticking to their guns! Thing is, I'll bet that the others can only wish they looked as good as you! Chances are that when you're boppin', they're more than likely watching you. Especially the fellas!

RockyHorror

One of the Regulars
My boyfriend likes how I dress, but I've known him since I was like..9 years old or something, and I've always been unusual. So he knew what he was getting into haha. The only attention I seem to get from other guys, are just really strange people, who give nice but... sometimes odd compliments.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
I also hear this a lot, "I wish my boyfriend dressed that nice." Which is a nice indirect compliment. Honestly, judging by the way this thread is going, I say that it doesn't matter how you dress but what sort of person you are under it all.

It's true. The one thing I would change about my husband is the way he dresses (actually no, it would be his inability to fill in paperwork correctly, with how he dresses a close second) but he likes it, so I don't try to change him and I am not looking to upgrade to a snappier dresser, because the man underneath the horrible tshirt is lovely!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner