Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does wearing vintage Get you noticed by the opposite sex?

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
In girl talk she's telling you, "Take me away handsome. My boyfriend is a goon, but if you show me you want me and have the gusto to do something about it I'll go with you".

Wise words. At the boyfriend/girlfriend stage (as in, not married or not in a committed 'life partnership'), we're with someone unless/until we find somebody 'better'. Sounds harsh, but it's true.

Last edited:

Travis Lee Johnston

Practically Family
Even in marriage, you gotta be on your game and be the same guy she met. The potential for them to leave is always there. Which is why one has to be prepared to take a loss. When a person puts the power of their own happiness on someone else, then that other person has the power to take it away. This is one reason why so many guys are depressed and miserable. It sucks being by yourself sometimes, but get a hobby. Make some money, and persue your happiness. When you're content with yourself and your life, it trickles down to the ladies when you meet them.

Gracie Lee

A-List Customer
When you're content with yourself and your life, it trickles down to the ladies when you meet them.

I think this goes for both sexes. Happiness is a choice you must make, and continue to make, for yourself. People notice when you've made that choice, and more often than not, it means you're out doing something you love and meeting new people at the same time. A different sense of style may catch someone's eye, but genuine happiness and being an interesting person will keep their attention.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Wise words. At the boyfriend/girlfriend stage (as in, not married or not in a committed 'life partnership'), we're with someone unless/until we find somebody 'better'. Sounds harsh, but it's true.

Or if you're me (and thousands of other females), you're sticking around and hoping your boyfriend will fall in love with you and want the next step, because you already are with him.

A different sense of style may catch someone's eye, but genuine happiness and being an interesting person will keep their attention.

I agree, but I find with some people, this will never be enough. I know you should keep your happiness in your own control, but it is nice to be able to depend on someone when you're feeling low, and not be afraid that they will walk out the door the minute you cease to be interesting.

Rats Riley

A-List Customer
I found it was ironic that my missus started dressing vintage and street smart when we first started dating. In fact that's what caught my eye. The girl next door look, with a long strawberry blond ponytail, wearing a cute plaid romper, asking me where the book store was.... Stole my heart!

We were both in photo school together and worked great together. After we got hooked, she began going more mainstream but never too trendy.

Gotta lover her. But now she's starting to give me the daggers when I spend too much on hats and vintage gear. The sad part is she's right!

Travis Lee Johnston

Practically Family
As a guy, typically when you're feeling low or down on your luck is when they leave. Sad chapter. None of the future is set in stone. All you can do is enjoy the ride and appreciate the moments you have with someone while they're there with you til one of you dies.

Did that cheer everyone up?

Gracie Lee

A-List Customer
I agree, but I find with some people, this will never be enough. I know you should keep your happiness in your own control, but it is nice to be able to depend on someone when you're feeling low, and not be afraid that they will walk out the door the minute you cease to be interesting.

You're right... I didn't mean to sound harsh. I meant that I try not to rely on any one else as the sole source of my happiness. Everyone needs close friends and loved ones to turn to in hard times. The ones that stick around are the ones that are truly worth having around :)

Justin B

One Too Many
I get a lot of "I wish my boyfriend dressed like you" generally followed by "Wish he were as nice as you too". I had one girl say something along those lines to me and a short while later her boyfriend come up and ask (a bit angrily) why I was making him look bad. I simply replied that I wasn't making him look bad, I didn't dress him that way.

Rue - New Picture?

rue

I get a lot of "I wish my boyfriend dressed like you" generally followed by "Wish he were as nice as you too". I had one girl say something along those lines to me and a short while later her boyfriend come up and ask (a bit angrily) why I was making him look bad. I simply replied that I wasn't making him look bad, I didn't dress him that way.

Rue - New Picture?

Great response :)

Yeah... I was sick of looking at the old one :rolleyes:

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Finally changed that awful thread title. It was either that, or kill it altogether.

Much as I appreciate the work you bartenders do, I can't say I envy you. Thanks for keeping this thread open though as it's been quite interesting and far from inappropriate so far (to my knowledge).

I find that wearing vintage can work two ways. I've often had girls take some sort of an interest in me because I'm differnt, but it never seems a particularly genuine interest, more fleeting curiousity. Then some girls, usually those who are nice people, seem to be too intimidated. I think a lot of people are put off by my personality as well though, as they don't understand me or are bored or find me strange and/or annoying (if you read my blog you'll see where they're coming from). Thus far my girlfriend is the only person who liked the vintage clothing, understood me and appreciated me.

MikeBravo

One Too Many
I found it was ironic that my missus started dressing vintage and street smart when we first started dating. In fact that's what caught my eye. The girl next door look, with a long strawberry blond ponytail, wearing a cute plaid romper, asking me where the book store was.... Stole my heart!
Wow! I think she just stole mine too

Rats Riley

A-List Customer
Wow! I think she just stole mine too

Thank's buddy! I'll take that as a complement! Of coarse I'm talking about a woman who had triplets (2 boys and a girl) then about four months later did a half marathon...I kid you not! A half marathon!

Hell! My opinion is simple. No pain means NO PAIN!

I don't know how the hell she does it.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
You're right... I didn't mean to sound harsh. I meant that I try not to rely on any one else as the sole source of my happiness. Everyone needs close friends and loved ones to turn to in hard times. The ones that stick around are the ones that are truly worth having around :)

Not at all, you didn't sound harsh :) I understand what you mean, and you couldn't be more correct!

I had one girl say something along those lines to me and a short while later her boyfriend come up and ask (a bit angrily) why I was making him look bad. I simply replied that I wasn't making him look bad, I didn't dress him that way.

I would've paid to see the look on his face lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic