Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dog hair, rug fuzzies -- quick solution

Mindraker

Familiar Face
Allright, I don't have a "hat brush" yet for my new hat. But it was time to clean the hat after I noticed dog hair on it. I took some scotch tape, made a ring around my fingers, and ran it over my hat -- the hat looks as good as new.
Anyone else got a good 'quickie' solution?

44forrest

New in Town
I use an unused horse hair shoe brush I got from secret santa at work. It works fine. Isn't there a concern that some of the adhesive of the tape will rub onto the flet making it easier for dust to stick to the hat?

Johnnysan

One Too Many
44forrest said:
Isn't there a concern that some of the adhesive of the tape will rub onto the flet making it easier for dust to stick to the hat?

Yes...there is. A friend of mine who does cleaning and restoration said to avoid this trick like the plague. Over time, a gummy residue will form on the article of clothing darkening it and making it sticky. Brushes are cheap and last forever. ;)

DocBob345

Familiar Face
Using tape...

I would think that each time tape is used, the adhesive might also be pulling up a tiny but certain amount of the fur felt along with the dust. Over time, might this hurt the appearance of the hat?

Best,
Robert

Mindraker

Familiar Face
Fletch said:
Please post pic of dog wearing, playing with, or sleeping in hat. This should help us answer your question. :D

Heh, no dog is actually playing with my hat. But my friend's apartment has dog hair all over the place because of his dog. And no matter what I do, my clothes will get dog hair on it whenever I visit the apartment. Granted, he could comb his dog a little more frequently...

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Horsehair brush should work just fine. I know that Optimo Chicago Uses a lint rollar on their hats before they leave the store. Lint rollars are fine on hats as well though I prefer the old fashioned technique of just having the servant take the dirty hat to the furnace and bringing me a new hat on a silver platter.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
not a dog

333543_dd0971a49a_m.jpg

"What he said."

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Johnnysan said:
Stupid dog? Au contraire, mon ami! That's dog that knows quality bedding! ;)

she found my two borsalinos and my cavanagh out of all of 'em.
I only wonder how she got the door to my room open. Probably something with the house's settling foundation and the doors not closing proper.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mindraker said:
Allright, I don't have a "hat brush" yet for my new hat. But it was time to clean the hat after I noticed dog hair on it. I took some scotch tape, made a ring around my fingers, and ran it over my hat -- the hat looks as good as new.
Anyone else got a good 'quickie' solution?

Having two cat's who shed like no other animal I've ever seen, I've had to get pretty creative in pet hair removal over the past ten years. I have to say that either duct tape or masking tape on the hand works the best.

I did discover recently that Arm & Hammer makes a carpet cleaner that is in the form of a powder. Sprinkle it on rug and let sit for about 15 minutes then vacuum. The stuff actually works. One of my oriental rugs has a lot of black in it, and has a black boarder. This really shows the fur. When I use this powder the rug looks brand new. OK, I know this isn't advice for hat or clothing cleaning, but it does have to do with pesky pet hair removal, so I just thought I'd let y'all know about this stuff. It also smells nice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL