Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dogtags returned to Dday vet

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=101443140

Teen finds WWII dogtag in midtown Manhattan plaza in a waterfall display.
Returned to grateful vet.

dogtag2_540.jpg

HOP UP

Vendor
I LOVE reading stories like this !!! :eusa_clap

Can you imagiune how this guy felt when he clapped eyes on his old dog tags again?

The memories would have come flooding back all over again - seeing Uncle Milty at a USO going away gig in NYC, 1943 !!

WOW.

Kudos to those two kids who took the time to contact him and get the tags back to him. RARE these days for such young kids to actually honor and respect the history and sacrifice.

WELL DONE TO YOU BOTH !! :D

Rat

Story

I'll Lock Up
May 31, 4:42 PM EDT

US vet's dog tags found on old Italian battlefield
Advertisement

Buy AP Photo Reprints
Your Questions Answered
Ask AP: Gulf boundaries, credit agency reports

BUDA, Texas (AP) -- A retired police inspector's newly acquired metal detecting hobby helped him find dog tags and other items belonging to a Texas World War II veteran who was wounded on an Italian battlefield.

Oscar Glomb served with the 36th Infantry Division and landed at the Bay of Salerno in 1943. He was wounded in a June 1944 battle near Gavorrano.

Glomb died in 1998. His son says he never forgot about his dog tags.

Retired Italian police inspector Daniele Bianchini found the tags, a ring and a medallion while practicing his new hobby on the old battlefield. Bianchini asked to keep one of the tags and sent the rest of the items to Glomb's family in Texas.

Glomb's 85-year-old wife Dorothy calls it a miracle to have the items back and says the family is thankful.

p51

One Too Many
Neat story, but I can't help but be reminded of a Belgian collector who found a mess kit with a guy's name on it in 1993 and spent a lot of (pre-internet) time tracking down the vet. He was alive and the European guy went all the way to him to give it back. Here’s the news item of what happened next:
Soldier gets his mess kit back
St. Petersburg Times, Sep 14, 1993
Marvin Carroll never had much use for his Army mess kit and wasn't particularly saddened when he lost it after being wounded during the Battle of the Bulge in 1944. But two Belgian historians found it last year in the Ardennes Forest and began searching for Carroll, a native of Vernal, Utah, who had etched his name and "Utah" on its side.
This summer, they delivered it to him. Carroll, now 69 and living in Salt Lake City, shook his head in disbelief and relegated the mess kit to his garage.
"I thought, `Well, what are they getting so stirred up about an old mess kit for?' " he said. "I wouldn't give a dime for one. Not even a new one."
But he does get a kick out of it.
"There's a lot of people in Vernal, my relations and that, who called and said, `Did you know they found your mess kit?' I said, `I'll be durned,' " Carroll said. The mess kit was found by Jean-Phillippe Speder and Jean-Louis Seel, whose hobby is scouring old battlegrounds. The two have helped locate the remains of four of 33 soldiers missing from the 99th Division, the unit in which Carroll was a rifleman.
Can you imagine how those Belgian guys must have felt when they read this?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran