Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lost But Now Found

Foxer55

A-List Customer
Interesting story of a ring lost in WWII and found.

ring212way-3401a40bb5d90ae9108804a84679f6a0b1b20c69-s4-c85.jpg

Well, I know its NPR but...

Journey Of The Ring: Lost In WWII, Now Back With POW's Son

"I can't touch it or pick it up without thinking about him and I can't pick it up without thinking about this journey of the ring."
That's David C. Cox Jr. of North Carolina talking Wednesday about the rather amazing saga of the ring his father had to trade for food in a German prisoner of war camp during World War II — a ring that has now made it back to the Cox family after seven decades.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way...-the-ring-lost-in-wwii-now-back-with-pows-son

p51

One Too Many
Whenever I hear of stories like this I always recall this news story I first read several years ago:
Soldier gets his mess kit back
St. Petersburg Times, Sep 14, 1993
Marvin Carroll never had much use for his Army mess kit and wasn't particularly saddened when he lost it after being wounded during the Battle of the Bulge in 1944. But two Belgian historians found it last year in the Ardennes Forest and began searching for Carroll, a native of Vernal, Utah, who had etched his name and "Utah" on its side.
This summer, they delivered it to him. Carroll, now 69 and living in Salt Lake City, shook his head in disbelief and relegated the mess kit to his garage.
"I thought, `Well, what are they getting so stirred up about an old mess kit for?' " he said. "I wouldn't give a dime for one. Not even a new one."
But he does get a kick out of it.
"There's a lot of people in Vernal, my relations and that, who called and said, `Did you know they found your mess kit?' I said, `I'll be durned,' " Carroll said. The mess kit was found by Jean-Phillippe Speder and Jean-Louis Seel, whose hobby is scouring old battlegrounds. The two have helped locate the remains of four of 33 soldiers missing from the 99th Division, the unit in which Carroll was a rifleman.
I think of that story whenever I hear of things like this and often wonder how those Belgians must have felt they read this story...

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
A young woman in London, stole my dads class ring! He didn't get real mad, he said they had so little over their. If any one finds a ring from Stuart, Iowa Highschool, class of 41, contact me, it would most certainly be his!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic