Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dopp Kit

redavis001

One of the Regulars
Thanks, JPdesign.

Mr. H

I don't know where the term came from. I have also heard them called Doc kits becasue the fold out, they are however much smaller than a old style doctors bag.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
They were introduced in 1919 by Doppelt & Co. - "Dopp" (rhymes with mop) being short for Doppelt.

Growing up my dad called all toiletry kits Dopp kits, but pronounced it "Dope." I got some laughs at boarding school talking about my "dope kit."

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
I just picked one of these up on ebay. Leather & fairly solid, not a bad deal for around $9. My old one from my days back in the Marines finally gave up the ghost & blew out a zipper.

662A.jpg

662C.jpg

I was looking for one that was like the one my Pop has been using since 1950 but the only dead ringer I found was a Bosca toiletry kit, & just don't have the extra $175 for that.

Anyway, what I would like to know is what accessories do you add to your dopp kit. Basically I'm looking for the containers that hold soap, toothbrush, razor, etc. And I don mean the cheap plastic multi-colored stuff that can be had at Wal-Mart & Target. I would like to find something that would be classy & stylish.
Have you fellows found good sources for such items? I have been looking around and have come up quite short on the subject.

If you have any photos to show off of your accessories please do & let me know the source.
Thank you for any help that you can provide, it is most appreciated.

Cheers!

Dan

bbshriver

One of the Regulars
I have 2 bags from these folks. I haven't tried either Dopp kit, but I can say the construction of my bags is absolutely top-notch.
No it's not leather, and it doesn't look vintage, but it does have a lifetime warranty, is made in the US by former US military "riggers".
You can even e-mail the company founder with questions! (I've done so, and received prompt response).

http://www.redoxx.com/Cool-Luggage-Accessories/Tri-fold-Shave-Kit/91040-Trifold/170/Product

http://www.redoxx.com/Cool-Luggage-Accessories/Nomad-Shave-Kit/91035-Shave Kit/170/Product

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have and use the tri-fold from Red Oxx. I highly recommend it and all their gear.

bbshriver said:
I have 2 bags from these folks. I haven't tried either Dopp kit, but I can say the construction of my bags is absolutely top-notch.
No it's not leather, and it doesn't look vintage, but it does have a lifetime warranty, is made in the US by former US military "riggers".
You can even e-mail the company founder with questions! (I've done so, and received prompt response).

http://www.redoxx.com/Cool-Luggage-Accessories/Tri-fold-Shave-Kit/91040-Trifold/170/Product

http://www.redoxx.com/Cool-Luggage-Accessories/Nomad-Shave-Kit/91035-Shave Kit/170/Product

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My old Dad used a leather Dopp Kit and kept in on the back of the toilet when I was a kid. He kept all his old antique toilet articles in it (which were perfectly new to him!). I think he must have bought me one at some point because it seems that I've always had one. My last one, which came from some men's cologne company as a freebie, just fell apart prior to Christmas. I picked up a new leather one at Marshalls which should last for another decade. This new one has it's own little detachable plastic bags inside for liquids, which makes it very handy for air travel.

A the ubiquitous Dopp kit! http://artofmanliness.com/2008/03/18/building-the-perfect-dopp-kit/

-dixon cannon

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Any other folks have their favorite Dopp kit? Be it a new item or vintage please share. Allllso, share your favorite memories of you Dads kit. Like Dixon, my Pop used to keep his kit on the back of the toilet & it always with him whenever we traveled on vacations. It is still in fantastic shape for being nearly 60 years old. I think it still has 60 years left in it. It looks exactly like the Bosca kits that are being sold out there for $175, brass zipper and all.

Cheers!

Dan

Saho

New in Town
I've owned a few over the years. My first one was a tri fold from J. Peterman. Then I moved onto a box/case type made by Sulka but the lock broke so I now use a vintage Cuban doctor's bag style toiletry case. It's made out of a real crocodile, with a baby croc sewn into the side. Very cool.:)

storman113

Familiar Face
SaHo

Would like to see a picture of your kit with the baby croc!

I'm using a canvas kit from Columbia. One big compartment and two smaller on each side, the sides have full zips so they can flop open.

I've had the old style leather ones, the trifold canvas, and small catch all kits, I like this one the best.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I have a Ghurka Holdall in black leather which has gotta be around 20 years old. But in recent years I've been using a Tumi hanging travel kit in ballistic nylon, which is much more functional.

nobodyspecial

Practically Family

Randy

Familiar Face
Thanks for posting that ad Dixie Cannon. I have the model at the bottom - an inheritance from my Grandfather that I cherish dearly and use to this day when I have occasion to travel...

- Randy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24