Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dress Scarves

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I just got an awesome 40's dress scarf, with the kind of print you might find on a tie from that era. I'm just not sure HOW to wear it! I've really only seen pics of gents wearing them over top coats. Is that the only way? It's rayon with fringe, so it's certainly not meant for warmth, just looks. How 'bout over a suit jacket?
flat-top

how thick is the fabric?

Maybe under the shirt a la edward fox?

DayJackal1.jpg

bk

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Tucking it in makes me think of an ascot! This is a cool looking scarf that needs to be seen. And BT, you are probably correct to call it an opera scarf, but I would like to wear it with a suit, maybe to work or whatever, and not just at formal events!

Man, that's a sweet scarf. Congrats. :cheers1:

I'm not sure how one would wear such a thing. My first instinct is to wear it under the shirt (fox-esque), but that doesn't show off that pattern.

Sorry, i'm stuck. I'm sure there's a "proper" way to wear it. Someone must know ...

bk

Wild Root

Gone Home
Isn't that an ascot in the photo? I believe it is. By the way, this is not the room for this topic. General Attire is the place for this. I have let Matt Deckard know about this so, he'll move it to the proper place.

Word to the new people, if it has nothing to do with a suit or suit like items I.E. sport coats, blazers, suits, or suit separates it belongs in General Attire.

Thank you.

=WR=

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Root's right. But what he forgot to tell you is that he wears dress scarves very well. There's a photo of him somewhere around here -- I think it's a night shot from the 2004 QM -- that shows him wearing a scarf tied in a half knot, with one end overlapping the other and facing out. It's hard to describe, but very easy to tie. Root, could you help out on this one?

Wild Root

Gone Home
Oh, I think I know the photo, not sure where it is but.... I'll see if I can dig one up for you all.

Is this the one Marc?
QM_OB2.jpg

And thank you for the kind words there sir!

=WR=

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
That's the photo! Thanks, Root!

flat-top said:
I just got an awesome 40's dress scarf...I'm just not sure HOW to wear it! ...How 'bout over a suit jacket?
Flat-top, you can clearly see the knot here. It's a very typical way of wearing scarves back in the Golden Era. Instead of tucking it into the overcoat (as in the photo), you can tuck it into your suit jacket or sportcoat.

In the 1920s and '30s, Argentine tango dancers wore white silk scarves in exactly this way: tucked into their black pinstripe suit jackets. Some tango dancers still do!

Wild Root

Gone Home
Thanks Marc! Coming from you, a man who knows and dresses so perfectly, that means a lot! The suit I'm wearing is the German suit I have, also the coat is one I found in Canada that's dated 1938. The hat is an ebay find that I practically stole and it's a long hair finish white felt from the mid 30's. I love that hat! To my right is my friend John and to my left is my friend Conett. They're good guys!

It's funny but, the scarf pictured in the start of this thread isn't a scarf! It's an ascot! Ascots are shorter then a cotton or rayon scarf like the one Matt and I are wearing. Also to answer the question as to what to wear a thin scarf like this with is really simple. A nice suit, with an over coat. These scarves weren't worn to the oppera because, an opera scarf is white. I have one and it's the only proper scarf to wear with evening clothes.

These fancy printed light weight scarves were worn with suits in the late 1930's and early 1940's. Well, into the 1950's as well.

=WR=

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
I'm such a fanatic, I actually identified your suit there as the German suit you showed in another thread! The overcoat is terrific, too. The hat ... amazing; I'm looking for another just like it! (And here I am supposed to be selling my stuff, not buying.)

In one word: great.

And thank you, too! Coming from you, it means a lot.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Hope so!

Right now, I'm focusing on vintage fedoras from really, really good men's stores of the '30s. You know about my black "Rogers Peet" hat, I think. I also have one from "Oviatt's" (a lucky thrift store find). I figure that these very posh, very expensive stores sold only the FINEST hats, so I can't go wrong when it comes to their quality.

By the way, Matt, the fedora in your avatar pic is incredible! Where on earth did you find such a hat?

Wild Root said:
It's funny but, the scarf pictured in the start of this thread isn't a scarf! It's an ascot! Ascots are shorter then a cotton or rayon scarf like the one Matt and I are wearing.

I'm pretty sure that's a scarf. I haven't seen the movie for a while, so i'll need to check. But i'm 99.9% sure it's not an ascot. Check out the amount of fabric around the side/back of his neck. Why wear an ascot under the shirt? Aren't they meant to be worn with wing collar shirts and morning coats? Maybe it's a huge neckerchief. There's one shot in the movie where he's shown tying it.

bk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner