Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dressing for Inclement Weather

Kitty55

New in Town
Rain Bonnets?

Hi, girls -

I'm new here, although I've been lurking for quite awhile. ;)

Having gotten completely drenched yesterday in heavy thunderstorms (it's flurrying right now, go figure), I made up my mind that I would at least carry a rain bonnet for my hair so at least I don't so much resemble a drowned rat. Unfortunately, the options I've been finding are all the plain, clear plastic hoods, reminiscent of, hm...produce bags. They don't really look terribly durable, either. I'm looking for something maybe along the lines of a vinyl bonnet, preferably a little vintage...what do you ladies use?

Thanks! And I'm happy to finally post. :)

Kitty

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
My Granny never had a rain bonnet, aside from the plastic ones you mentioned. She would wear a scarf over the head and under the chin, and place that plastic number over it to keep it dry. I do that from tme to time.

Hope that helps, and welcome to the Lounge,

LD

olive bleu

One Too Many
Is yours one of the structured ones, where it kind of has a little peak at the front? I still see ladies wearing those around here.i will try to find a pic

kerry

One of the Regulars
Stylish rain hat

I dont know if anyones mentioned these before, if so I apologize. Ive been caught without a brolly too many times.http://www.lepochecloche.com/?section=home
I havent bought one yet but Im probably going to order one today, I will let you all know what its like when it arrives:) Might make me look like a real twit but anything to save a hairdo :)

kerry

One of the Regulars
I ordered the animal print one and it arrived today. It is nice quality, my hubby said it looked nice. When it rains I will try it out and let you know.
It folds up teeny and will not take up much room in a handbag. :)
Kerry xxxx

jayem

A-List Customer
Oooh, nice. I must invest in one. I just wish they had solid colors so I could match them with my coats and outfits. But, the leopard one will definitely do.

~*Red*~

Practically Family
OOh cool!! Now I have a new present to get my hair ladies!! Good find! I've been sending them out in those plain clear plastic ones. This is much more stylish! :D

kerry

One of the Regulars
jayem said:
Oooh, nice. I must invest in one. I just wish they had solid colors so I could match them with my coats and outfits. But, the leopard one will definitely do.
I believe they are a fairly new business so maybe they will add some different colours eventually, some solid colours would be great.

Porcelina

New in Town
Dressing vintage is a breeze when it's sunny, but I live in Wales, where it's predominantly rainy or windy or both! How do you all cope with ensuring that you are not only protected from the elements, but can step out in style? Any suggestions you may have for appropriate footwear, headwear and outerwear would be greatly appreciated. Yesterday I must confess that I wore army boots and an anorak to work to shield me from the resurgence of winter. I arrived with dry feet, ready to slip into my office heels, and my curls sprang back when I took my hood off, but en route I must have resembled more 90's grunge girl than 40's cutie. Please help!

Miss P

Aurora

One of the Regulars
Move over to Pembrokeshire, it's always sunny this side!!! :D

Never tried them myself, but what about those over-bootees (forgot the name) and a nice heavy wool coat.
I wore my faux-leopard jacket all through the Winter, but I'm making a wool one for this Winter.

:eek:fftopic: Fab to see someone else in Wales :D

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I always wear rubbers when it's raining -- leather shoes don't like to get wet. When I'm wearing my everyday oxfords, the "Ladies Rain Slipper" made by Tingley fits quite neatly over them. If I'm wearing heels, I have a pair of half-rubbers -- the kind that fits over the front part of the shoe leaving the heel exposed. Add to that a trench-style raincoat, a folding rain bonnet for my hair, and an umbrella, and inclement weather holds no fear for me.

Porcelina

New in Town
Thank you ladies, some sound suggestions - I think a nice big waterproof trenchcoat is going to be next on my wish list. I have a lovely grey belted full skirted wool coat, but it smells of wet dog if it gets rained on!!

Alas, umbrellas don't work in Wales, too windy!

I'm glad I'm not the only Welsh girl here, always a pleasure to meet a fellow native.

Miss P xx

Sunny

One Too Many
Porcelina said:
Alas, umbrellas don't work in Wales, too windy!
Nor in Texas. Learned that the hard way at college. :D It's all about the raincoat for me now, that and a hat. Rain bonnet, or a wider-brimmed felt. I'm on the lookout for a slouchy 1930's-style one that I can tuck my hair up into. If it's really wet, I just tuck it into the collar of my raincoat.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ormbingley