Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dry cleaners - cracked buttons

gimmesomeshelte

Familiar Face
All-

I personally find it very frustrating how the shirts I have professionally laundered end up with cracked/broken buttons. Are some cleaners better than others? Everyone I've spoken with seems to have this complaint. If not, can I minimize the damage by buying shirts with better grade buttons?

Thanks for your comments.

Paul Vickerman

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
I've got a vintage army tunic with some plastic buttons that are cracked. Broken in half really.:mad: What causes this? The cleaning solvents, perhaps? Maybe there is no way around it, as I know that solvents of any kind can remove the elastomers from plastics over time. Maybe we have to just keep replacing buttons? :eusa_doh:

I think the buttons get cracked by the pressing of the shirt, If they used the big machine it cracks them and if they are doing by hand they crack them.

I can count on my hand the number of times I have sent out shirts and had good luck, but the shirts were new.

Also many type of plastics degrade over time, they may become fragile and brittle. There are Waterman Hundred year Pens made in the 30's I think where whole sections have crumbled to dust.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
It's a combination of the heat and the press.
And, over time, plastics get more brittle; they dry out.

Some dry cleaners are better than others. My new dry cleaner has been great.

My advice: start a button collection. Sincerely.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner