Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Early 20th Century Western Hats

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
These photos are from a railroad history I've written, but since there is interest on the Lounge for Western-style hats, I thought folks here might like to see some of these. These photos are all from 1908.

WesternHats.jpg

WesternHats2.jpg

WesternHats3.jpg

WesternHats4.jpg

WesternHats5.jpg

Brad

carter

I'll Lock Up
Great Photos, Brad. I like all the hats (swells in boaters, montana peaks and variations thereon, cattleman's crease, open crown, sombrero-type straw (?), rolled brim), as well as the high-waisted pants and wide suspenders, different neckwear, different styles of coats and vests, and even a duster.Thanks for posting them.

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks, Brad. Those are great.

It's pretty cool to see the hats that were really worn as opposed to the fancy, nicely blocked ones you see in western movies. All of those hats have a definite lived in look about them.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
I've read where some people condemn the practice of wearing braces and a belt but many actual vintage pants have both suspender buttons and belt loops.

You can tell that the felt in these hats is what we call 'dress weight' and not the thick stiff stuff of western style hats today.

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
Akubra Man said:
I have heard the same thing Harp player and that was why I asked about it. It would be interesting to find out if that was a common thing and if it was, when it went out of fashion.
Opinions vary on this. Go to this thread for some interesting thoughts on suspenders and a belt.

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
Akubra Man said:
I noticed the working men doing the surveying all wore braces along with a belt. Does anybody know if this was common practice back then?

"How can you trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders? The man can't even trust his own pants".

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
I've noticed that many of the "western" hats that you see in old movies don't look as stiff as the modern ones.

Think about the men's clothing. Any one of those men could walk down the street today, and not look too bizarre. A woman dressed in 1908 style, however....

Actually, I think I would prefer it if women would wear 1908 style!

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
So howsabout seein' some of the Early 20th Century Western Hats (or suspected to be) in your collections folks?!

Hard to be sure but I think this one's pretty old.

DSC_0004.jpg

DSC_0007.jpg

I had to replace the unreeded sweatband shown here:
aaaa_1.jpg

ac98_1.jpg

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
I just remembered that a while ago I saw an EB auction for a Stetson hat just like my burgundy one. However, it was modern (say '80s or '90s). The interesting thing was that it was offered as something of a collectible because it was one of the special limited edition hats Stetson 're-made' based on old designs as part of a "Historic Hats Of The Old West" (paraphrased) commemorative.

[huh]

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, Akubra Man. The good spirit you intended came through right away. :) This is actually one of my favorites for just the reasons you mentioned. It's one of the few hats that kind of 'call to me' to wear it. I've considered giving it back a more typical western brim curl on the sides. It'd require some stiffener though.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
dhermann1 said:
Interesting that even the guys without ties have their collar button buttoned.
Its funny looking but I recall it wasn't unusual to see this on older gentlemen when I was growing up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24