Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Early 60s Shark Skin?

KeyGrip

A-List Customer
Hello all. I bought this coat at a thrift store yesterday on the suspicion that it was shark skin. However, I have never seen this material in person so I would like your input.

The coat (I think I payed extra for the wrinkles):
IMG_0906.jpg

In direct sunlight:
IMG_0900.jpg

Indoors:
IMG_0903.jpg

I believe this is the tailor's tag:
IMG_0909.jpg

Which partially covers the union tag:
IMG_0911.jpg

Thank you!

KeyGrip

A-List Customer
Thanks all. Tomasso, are those the only example of shark skin, or could my jacket be made out of a later material?

Also, how do I go matching with my shirt, pants, tie, etc?

mister7

Familiar Face
I thought shark skin was shiny? Am I mistaken? I guess I have never seen anything in real life that was identified as sharkskin, and of course it is very difficult to tell in photographs whether something is shiny or not.

No matter what, I bet that jacket will wind up being quite nice! I like the hint of color I could see from the lining.

mister7

Familiar Face
BF, what makes it shine? Is it a component of the fabric, or the way it is finished? Thanks for your reply.

I have always wanted a shiny light gray suit, but have never found an item that suited me. I'm jealous of all you shark-skinners out there!

B. F. Socaspi

One of the Regulars
Hmm. It looks like the fabric itself is shiny, and this is enhanced by its weave. It's a very tight weave of what look roughly like sideways "x"s.

It's sort of like if someone is wearing a checked pair of pants and are moving, the colors tend to blur together.

That "blur" is the shine in this case.

And that was confusing, I know.

Feraud

Bartender
Sharkskin is not exactly shiny but shimmers as the fabric moves. This is due to the different material colors that make up the fabric.
I believe material called sharkskin in the 30s/40s(?) was what we refer to as nailhead pattern today.

The stuff noted below is the later versions. The shimmer might not be evident. It depends on light and movement.
DSC02759.jpg

DSC02765.jpg

DSC02767.jpg

DSC03022.jpg

DSC03026.jpg

mister7

Familiar Face
Very educational. Thanks for the input! I like the color of that suit you posted Feraud. Your description was actually quite good BF, I got the drift of it right away.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
It's really a pretty snazzy material, great for hitting the town. A wool blended with Rayon sometimes to give the sheen.

I think they became a little bit of the playboy suit, though definitely not for business unless your business is at a night club.

KeyGrip

A-List Customer
It's certainly an attention-grabber when strolling downtown, but how do I pair it with the rest of my clothes? What color shirt goes with a jacket that wants to switch between blue and green?

Feraud

Bartender
KeyGrip said:
It's certainly an attention-grabber when strolling downtown, but how do I pair it with the rest of my clothes? What color shirt goes with a jacket that wants to switch between blue and green?
Keep it simple. Wear a white shirt, subdued tie and hat.

Feraud

Bartender
Yes, dark pants. Make the jacket the showcase of the outfit. Keep the focus on the jacket and do not distract with a loud tie, hat, or pants.
Experiment to see what works.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner