Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Early Discount Stores

Flivver

Practically Family
This morning, I read with dismay in our local newspaper that an area "institution" is about to be torn down. Spag's Supply in Shrewsbury MA, arguably the first discount store in New England, will soon be only a memory.

Spag's was opened in 1934 in an old truck garage. Its founder, Anthony Borgatti, had been nicknamed "Spag" by his childhood friends because he frequently had spaghetti sauce on his face. Spag's business model was to buy trailer loads of name brand quality merchandise to sell at discount. This was a new concept at the time, so his buisiness grew like topsy. Buildings were added and parking was expanded.

By the mid 1950s, Spag's was huge in size, and known all over New England. At Christmas time, it was easy to see cars from all six New England states, plus New York and Quebec in the Spag's parking lot.

In the 70s and 80s, articles were written in the Wall Street Journal about the unique Spag's formula for success. Departments were strewn all over the store in no apparent order. For example, the shoe department was next to paint. But the "regulars" knew where everything was. Prices were scrawled on products with a black grease pen. And there were no shopping carts or bags at Spag's. Customers carried their purchases in empty merchandise boxes that could be found around the store. All purchases were cash only...no checks, no credit.

Mr. Borgatti was a friendly, unassuming man who was very generous to local charities. He was nearly always in the store, wearing his signature cowboy hat and tin badge as he greeted customers. He always gave out free tomato plants in the spring.

When Borgatti died in the 90s, his daughters took over management of the store. They neatened the place up and re-arranged the departmemts in a logical manner. They added bags and began taking credit. And, they increased prices.The store lost its charm and business plummeted.

The daughters sold the store to local discounter Building 19, who re-named it Spag's 19 and applied *his* formula to the store. It was a disaster. And now the store will be closed and torn down.

I have many happy childhood memories at Spag's. The store was central to growing up in Worcester County.

Do any of you have fond memories of Spag's...or of favorite discount stores in your area?

PeeWee

One of the Regulars
I don't remember Spag's but here in NC the first discount store I remember was the Charles Store. This was pre K-Mart or Wal-Mart, and it gave Sears a real run for the money. In case anyone is from the Raleigh area, the Charles Store was out on S. Wilmington St. across from Montlawn Cemetery. The old Raleigh Airport sat just behind the Charles Store. We did a lot of shopping there.

PeeWee

One of the Regulars
J.S.Udontknowme said:
There was a Charles Store here too.

I was wondering how big the Charles Store chain was. I didn't find anything on a quick Google search. I guess the store here opened in the late 50's and was here I believe until the early 70's or so.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic