early motorcycle gloves

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by redlinerobert, Jan 28, 2019.

1. redlinerobert

redlinerobert One of the Regulars

I'm looking for some old school gauntlet style motorcycle gloves. Does anyone know of any manufacturers? Made a deal on a classic motorcycle that I'll be picking up in April.

2. bluesmandan

bluesmandan A-List Customer

Vanson.
    https://vansonleathers.com/67-mens-motorcycle-gloves

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

redlinerobert likes this.
  3. AeroFan_07

AeroFan_07 My Mail is Forwarded Here

4. redlinerobert

redlinerobert One of the Regulars

Thanks. I'm liking the Vanson gloves and a pair of Helstons that look good too.

5. ShadowBoxer

ShadowBoxer Familiar Face

A few places make motorcycle gloves in a "classic" gauntlet format. I think Langlitz does, for example.
    From what I've seen they all look very much alike; the same basic pattern.

I like Lee Parks gloves. Both the short and gauntlets follow a newer pattern that has fewer parts which means fewer seams to fail. I also like the soft leather.

Since these gauntlets are soft, they can be folded around the cuff of a jacket or left long over the top or fitted against the arm and worn under a jacket on a warmer day. I've done all versions.

I've had mine about 3 or so years now.
    I'll probably buy another pair this November (just as a backup) if he goes to the Motorcycle show in Long Beach.

6. bluesmandan

7. Edward

Edward Bartender

For my money, Helstons are the absolute best combination out there of a good, retro look combined with ECE certified protection. If what you want are a proper pair of old, late 40s/ early 50s style gauntlets for an accurate, period look, GoldTop can't be beaten: https://www.goldtop.co.uk/gloves . Not certified to any modern safety standard, but they are decent leather.

Some British bikers post WW2 also wore surplus RAF gauntlets.

8. Bfd70

Bfd70 Call Me a Cab

Threads can be the death of me. I started opening the links and admiring some of the choices. Then i was narrowing down the choices. FORTUNATELY I snapped back to earth and the fact that i have no less than 5 pair of MC gloves in the garage.
    Penny saved.

9. ShanghaiJack

ShanghaiJack One of the Regulars

10. sweetfights

sweetfights Call Me a Cab

been there too!

11. bluesmandan

How does the deerskin perform in the rain?

12. ShadowBoxer

ShadowBoxer Familiar Face

My gloves are the Lee Parks DeerSports. Made of deer I presume.
    The link is either here, above, or in the other older "favorite or best MC" gloves thread that I noticed a few days ago. I replied there too.

These get wet. As far as I can tell they come untreated so water will soak in.
    I used that "feature" to get them wet and then dry on my hands to get a more custom fit.
    Lately - it rained last week, it rained yesterday, it's supposed to rain this weekend - I've been thinking of applying some sort of conditioner/ dressing to them to make them more water resistant.

13. bluesmandan

I make my own waterproofing balm. Equal parts (by volume, not weight) of beeswax pellets and jojoba oil. (For conditioning use 2 parts jojoba oil to 1 part beeswax pellets.) Bella Terra 4oz. Jojoba is $10.

Here’s an example with photos. Measure out 2 tablespoons of beeswax and 2 tablespoons of jojoba oil into a tapered metal container. I used a 1/4 cup measuring cup. Put it on the stove and heat it until the wax has melted into the oil. You will need to stir it. Then remove from heat and cool. I put mine in the freezer for 30 minutes. Then run it under hot water for a few seconds and whack it on the counter upside down so the mix releases.

Rub it onto your leather and massage it in with your fingers.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. ShanghaiJack

ShanghaiJack One of the Regulars

As for rain, they hold up very well.
    Infact, I wash them every few weeks
    of riding in dish soap.