Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

early motorcycle gloves

redlinerobert

One of the Regulars
I'm looking for some old school gauntlet style motorcycle gloves. Does anyone know of any manufacturers? Made a deal on a classic motorcycle that I'll be picking up in April.

ShadowBoxer

Familiar Face
A few places make motorcycle gloves in a "classic" gauntlet format. I think Langlitz does, for example.
From what I've seen they all look very much alike; the same basic pattern.

I like Lee Parks gloves. Both the short and gauntlets follow a newer pattern that has fewer parts which means fewer seams to fail. I also like the soft leather.

Since these gauntlets are soft, they can be folded around the cuff of a jacket or left long over the top or fitted against the arm and worn under a jacket on a warmer day. I've done all versions.

I've had mine about 3 or so years now.
I'll probably buy another pair this November (just as a backup) if he goes to the Motorcycle show in Long Beach.

Edward

Bartender
For my money, Helstons are the absolute best combination out there of a good, retro look combined with ECE certified protection. If what you want are a proper pair of old, late 40s/ early 50s style gauntlets for an accurate, period look, GoldTop can't be beaten: https://www.goldtop.co.uk/gloves . Not certified to any modern safety standard, but they are decent leather.

Some British bikers post WW2 also wore surplus RAF gauntlets.

sweetfights

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Threads can be the death of me. I started opening the links and admiring some of the choices. Then i was narrowing down the choices. FORTUNATELY I snapped back to earth and the fact that i have no less than 5 pair of MC gloves in the garage.
Penny saved.
been there too!

ShadowBoxer

Familiar Face
My gloves are the Lee Parks DeerSports. Made of deer I presume.
The link is either here, above, or in the other older "favorite or best MC" gloves thread that I noticed a few days ago. I replied there too.

These get wet. As far as I can tell they come untreated so water will soak in.
I used that "feature" to get them wet and then dry on my hands to get a more custom fit.
Lately - it rained last week, it rained yesterday, it's supposed to rain this weekend - I've been thinking of applying some sort of conditioner/ dressing to them to make them more water resistant.

bluesmandan

A-List Customer
My gloves are the Lee Parks DeerSports. Made of deer I presume.
The link is either here, above, or in the other older "favorite or best MC" gloves thread that I noticed a few days ago. I replied there too.

These get wet. As far as I can tell they come untreated so water will soak in.
I used that "feature" to get them wet and then dry on my hands to get a more custom fit.
Lately - it rained last week, it rained yesterday, it's supposed to rain this weekend - I've been thinking of applying some sort of conditioner/ dressing to them to make them more water resistant.

I make my own waterproofing balm. Equal parts (by volume, not weight) of beeswax pellets and jojoba oil. (For conditioning use 2 parts jojoba oil to 1 part beeswax pellets.) Bella Terra 4oz. Jojoba is $10.

Here’s an example with photos. Measure out 2 tablespoons of beeswax and 2 tablespoons of jojoba oil into a tapered metal container. I used a 1/4 cup measuring cup. Put it on the stove and heat it until the wax has melted into the oil. You will need to stir it. Then remove from heat and cool. I put mine in the freezer for 30 minutes. Then run it under hot water for a few seconds and whack it on the counter upside down so the mix releases.

Rub it onto your leather and massage it in with your fingers.
d2ef5abb65ead16b73ac893f791d0f2e.jpg

df4471ce15ac2d041a1091cd6c96995b.jpg

5cf55302a19f0c6ccdd85685e9e5bb89.jpg

58d0f5e3bcc94fd7dc22d2a5eef6ab22.jpg

9395556608f7dc9f2a5b25de68b01098.jpg

30485076b6e85a00eb7001e0cbee9327.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ShanghaiJack

One of the Regulars
As for rain, they hold up very well.
Infact, I wash them every few weeks
of riding in dish soap.

Hang dry for a few days, and...
wear them all over again.

Chevalier

One of the Regulars
Resurrecting this 2019 thread in hopes of identifying a mystery pair I found in the Pac NW. No identifying marks except a 9 1/2 size sticker. The snap says C F Co. USF (I thought it said USA until I took the closeup pic). I think I remember USF from the dating using snaps forum here. I can’t ID the leather for sure, but I am thinking calfskin. The gauntlets are also lined with leather inside, which I don’t see very often. Anybody have a guess at the maker?

image.jpg

The snaps
image.jpg

Edward

Bartender
For my money, Helstons are the absolute best combination out there of a good, retro look combined with ECE certified protection. If what you want are a proper pair of old, late 40s/ early 50s style gauntlets for an accurate, period look, GoldTop can't be beaten: https://www.goldtop.co.uk/gloves . Not certified to any modern safety standard, but they are decent leather.

Some British bikers post WW2 also wore surplus RAF gauntlets.

Addendum: As of more recent times, a variety of the Goldtop Gauntlets are now CE Certified. https://goldtop.co.uk/collections/gloves

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ