Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Eastman A-2

rpsta2000

New in Town
Gentlemen, I am new to the forum and have been searching high and low for a A-2 oriented web site. I have (2) A-2's my trusty Aero seal steerhide, that i have worn since 2000, and my 2005 Eastman russet Rough Wear. The Aero fits like a glove but the Eastman feels is too big (48). I was hoping that a member would like to trade? for a smaller 46. It doesn't have to be an Eastman any manufacture would be considered. Great fourm! Rich

PENSACOLA

One of the Regulars
rpsta2000 said:
Gentlemen, I am new to the forum and have been searching high and low for a A-2 oriented web site. I have (2) A-2's my trusty Aero seal steerhide, that i have worn since 2000, and my 2005 Eastman russet Rough Wear. The Aero fits like a glove but the Eastman feels is too big (48). I was hoping that a member would like to trade? for a smaller 46. It doesn't have to be an Eastman any manufacture would be considered. Great fourm! Rich

Ahoy! If you still have the Eastman, I have several A-2's in 46, Aero...Let me know ASAP.

Take care...

regius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Reviving this thread, with something new.

I just received my first Made in Korea Horsehide A2, from the much debated ebayer Spearhead Militaria, who sells some A1, A2 and G1 that was once thought made in China, and could still be, and that no one here in America would want to buy. But, there must be a first person to eat the crab (as the Chinese idiom says), so I bought one and here's some analyses. Photos coming soon.

Overall, the seller is 80% honest, he says the horse is sourced from Argentina, which is true, it smells of Argentinian horse. The tanning process is similar to the American horse, so apart from the smell, the texture and thickness is the same as Aero midweight horse A2 and slightly better than Cockpit new production horsehide (as of 2012).
Mine is a seal brown, which looks pretty spot on, but not sure what shade will develop after wear.
Knits are indeed wool/nylon blend, which is pretty much the standard practice for low-mid range A2 repros, and I like it, it lasts longer without sacrificing the visual appeal. In fact the waistbands are pretty thick and elastic.

The seller describes it as a closer match to Eastman house jackets. Which I agree, it has a long straight torso, rather than the ball-shaped torso of Aero or the box-turtle shaped torso as GnB. Got a 44, but I think I should have gotten a 42, but never mind, I like a roomy fit.

Lining is a cotton polyester blend as well, feels tough and striated, the stitching on the seams of the inside lining is done in and out folded fashion than the usual fold-in seam, so you can see the edge of the two panels of lining. Not sure if this is the Monarch style of it's wrong, but at least the stitch works are very consistent and 8 per inch.

One major fake part: the zip is NOT a talon, Talon is pressed on the bell pull, but it's a YKK, so, some intellectual property issue here, unless there is some agreement between Talon and Ykk that allows customized letter pressing, like an independent branding without claiming it to be THE Talon (like Schott presses their name onto Ideal zippers).

Overall, for the price, 350 dollars, it is an outstanding everyday wear jacket. Now just need to put it to the rough wear test.

regius

Just checked the lining of this not so accurate Monarch again, it is actually pretty awesome! It's the striped twill, thicker than any A2 I've seen, Aero, eastman GnB or Cockpit. This is truly awesome, the only other such thick and beautiful lining was on a RRL Buzz Rickson, guess the manufacturer sourced this lining from Japan.
417031_10100329783245528_199701916_53106832_384295495_n.jpg

431013_10100329783894228_199701916_53106841_400496361_n.jpg

430378_10100329783490038_199701916_53106838_1001589650_n.jpg

regius

the wrinkled look is because i am putting it to the hot water shrinkage test, i want it to be a but shorter. the color is lighter than it actually is.

regius

Thank your Jaguar, but I was just gonna say, after many rounds of hot washing and tumble drying, at hi med lo heat, there's no significant change to this jacket. It didn't get cooked, didn't shrink, didn't dry, and didt peel. It's seemingly indestructible. I actually wish it can shrink!

regius

A question about Eastman's goatskin

I have obtained a lightly used ELC goatskin with patches. The first thing I noticed was how thick and stiff and squeaky the goat is!! My goodness, it is stiffer and felt like cardboard more so than the horsehide motorcycle jackets!

Does anyone have similar experience? I have seen very nice goatskin from Gibson n Barnes and Cockpit, but goatskin by reputation should be soft and drapes well, right? Not too soft of course, but this ELC is just like a cardboard box.

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
shame the A-2 is dead, like garfield, I never met an A-2 (or lasagna) I didn't like...
My RW 27752 is an ELC warhorse bought in May 2011. It has never had the hot water treatment, just the typical wear and tear. It looks 60 years old....still undecided about that...
IMG_2136.jpg

IMG_2139.jpg

IMG_2137.jpg

IMG_2132.jpg

I think it looks great on you. I wasn't sure until the last pic. I'm not a huge fan of Eastman, but this one looks really nice to me...and the fit is right on.

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
Thanks Butte. The fit is good. I read on another thread about ELC knits being too thin. I agree. I have had several ELCs over the years and they (IMO) have been weak.
BTW great shots of the watch!! went to the website for the bands awesome. Nothing like good craftmanship.

John

regius

if you want really good knits, I would say go contact gibson n barnes, or the spearhead militaria, the former carries all wool but super elastic, the latter carries wool blend and super thick and durable. of course, the latter is cheaper in price.

regius

Why called Warhorse?

What makes a Warhorse leather? Something they did to the poor horse?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn