Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Eastman A2 versus Gibson Barnes A2

TacAirlift

New in Town

HighandDry

A-List Customer
I would say that for driving, the '57 vette is a better experience.
Driving the Z06 around the track is pretty ho hum.
It's not all about performance.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The G&B is a first class leather jacket. You will not find a better one for the price. Is it an exact copy of a WWII issue A-2? Perhaps not, but that was not my point.

Thanks for the clarification. Personally I would not buy a G&B jacket as it is not an accurate repro. You can buy ELC RWs second hand for a fair price.

Last edited:

aswatland

at the risk of sounding snobby, there is hardly a comparison between the two. The Eastman is an extremely close copy of a WW2 original, GB is authentic-ish in some ways. If you are wanting an A-2 inspired jacket, a high-end MALL A-2 then GB will save you some $ but if you want something that really looks like the real deal, ELC is the way to go of the two choices you are listing. An ELC is going to fit on you the way WW2 originals did which is a very different look than a lesser option. There is also a HUGE difference in the quality and character of the hides between the two makers. You can easily purchase a used Eastman in stellar condition for the price of the new GB.

Well said John. If you want an A2 style jacket just by a second hand Cooper for $100.

aswatland

It would appear that the number of people who want or need "hyper accuracy" is very limited. Although they do exist. Perhaps that is why so many companies like G&B, US Wings, Schott, Leather Coats Etc., and Alpha make extremely nice leather A-2's and G-1's that are popular with the masses. This is simply who they cater to, as this is the largest segment of the market.

I'm in the group that just wants a nice fitting, well constructed leather jacket (A-2, G-1) of quality materials. That extra 5% of replication of the original is not important, nor would I pay the $$$ for that item.

As far as serviceable "beater class" jackets go, two China made bomber style jackets (Wilson) hang in my closet. Cost? $99. Over twenty years old, still look nearly new. Kinda surprising to me. But these will never garner any snob appeal, nor will my G&B, USWings, or Cockpit items.

I'm one of the few! I would recommend GW.

Last edited:

Brettafett

One Too Many
Maybe we could group A-2's into 3 categories:
Group 1: Low-end, $99-$400 (less authentic to WWII originals and usually less expensive), such as WPG, Sporty's, LL Bean, Orvis, G&B "Civil" version A-2, US Wings, etc.
Group 2: Mid-level $400-$700, U.S. Authentic, The Cockpit, G&B "Historic" A-2's, Steve McColgan, Aerial Star, etc.
Group 3, High-end, $700+ (Aero, Eastman, Goodwear, BK, etc).
This is certainly NOT all-inclusive, just a basic (and fun?) categorization exercise. Buying a nice Group 2 jacket is fine, but if authenticity and detailing are your concerns (and money is not a factor), then a Group 3 A-2 might be a better choice.
Thus comparing a Group 2 jacket with a Group 3 jacket would result in the Group 2 jacket coming up short in comparison (again, in terms of WWII authenticity).

Well stated Thor - nuff said.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
I would say that for driving, the '57 vette is a better experience.
Driving the Z06 around the track is pretty ho hum.
It's not all about performance.

Ask Danica Patrick if it's not about performance. BTW, that 1957 Vette rides and drives like a truck compared to the new gen Vettes. Not saying I like the new ones, but they perform better. On the street, or the track, that's where it's at. In a museum...

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
What accounts for the difference in the leather finish? The patina on these two is totally different, with the Good Wear having a polished shiny look, the G&B a more subdued subtle appearance.

While the GW is nice, for the same price I can supply my flight team (3 pilots) with nice G&B or Cockpit products. At the airshow, doubt that many will care about the difference.

Last edited:

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Why are we even doing such an apples vs. oranges comparison? Thor's #17 post lays out the three tiers of A-2 jackets very well. There are good choices for various purposes at all price points. Agreed that not everybody wants or needs a good WWII repro, or can justify the cost. (I only worked up to a Good Wear after over a decade of owning less expensive jackets.) For the vast majority, the first and second tier jackets are fine. Many of them are excellent and stylish garments that are a joy to wear.

Though it's a "lesser" jacket, I wear my black G&B Civil A-2 much more frequently than my Good Wear, because black matches my mainly blue/gray/black wardrobe alot better than russet brown, and having three more pockets is a significant convenience.

This doesn't mean that I think the G&B is "better" or "all that's needed", etc. It's just more practical a good deal of the time. The Good Wear may be the obvious pinnacle of my little (just five) leather jacket collection - it's by far the most expensive garment I've ever owned - but I try to wear them all. That's part of being a jacketeer!

This forum is a great place for sharing information about this strange little hobby and helping folks figure what they want and should get. But for trying to argue and convince of what's "better", when we all have different needs and tastes, not so much.

IXL

One Too Many

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
I suspect that if the respective photographers were to swap photo shoots, the "better looking" photographs would morph over with the superior photographer. One clearly out classes the other.

Excellent point!

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Why are we even doing such an apples vs. oranges comparison?

This forum is a great place for sharing information about this strange little hobby and helping folks figure what they want and should get. But for trying to argue and convince of what's "better", when we all have different needs and tastes, not so much.

Actually, these are all good jackets. As we all have different tastes, needs, and budgets, we can be thankful that the capitalist marketplace is there to serve all of us. Including those in the 1% bracket who desire hyper ($$$) detail on a repro, and those like myself who simply want a good fitting, well made A-2 ($).

Getting kinda silly.
Look at the pics for the G&B..ELC comparison.
Which would you rather wear. A new G&B...or perhaps a nice used ELC for around the same price or less.
Apples/oranges comparison for sure......
HD

nick123

I'll Lock Up
They're all nice, but totally different. Each has its merit. The GW or Eastman will obviously have that little extra going for it, but there are other things to look into, that don't necessarily meet the eye. For instance, if you theoretically show your wife/significant other an Eastman on you, then a Barnes, maybe she'll say the Barnes better fits your personality. And if you decide to keep the Eastman and return the Barnes, you'll forever be thinking about your wife's comment and second guessing your decision.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
OK, all $ aside. Please tell us which one you REALLY thinks looks nicer. Forget the "authenticity" aspect I mean, come on?:

http://www.gibson-barnes.com/assets/files/sme-product/296723/296724.jpg

http://www.goodwearleather.com/pages/gwaero16160_images1.html

I don't know how to say this diplomatically, but with expert knowledge of one particular aspect of "jacketology" there is sometimes a tendency toward a kind of pompous, condescending arrogance to develop. [huh] As IXL pointed out, the photography used to illustrate the above jackets is certainly unequal, with one shown on a mannequin and the other spread out to appear as though it is apple shaped, which is certainly not the case. As I said earlier, I have never seen a Goodwear (or an Eastman) up close and personal. No question both are wonderful examples of the A-2, of which many have attested. However, I have seen and worn a G&B Model 31 A-2, and can attest that there was no "blousy" fit, at least on my "stick" frame. I can also say there is only superficial resemblance between a G&B Model 31 A-2 with its very nice veg tanned goatskin, wool knits, and cotton lining and a Cooper A-2 with thinner goatskin and cotton/polyester (50/50) lining, which I also have owned in the past but sold for $200.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails