Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Eastman Leather Clothing USAAF A-2 Flying Jacket, Rough Wear Clo. Co. 1401-P

HPA Rep

Vendor
I'm modeling the latest Eastman Rough Wear 1401-P A-2 jacket in their Vintage WarHorse horsehide in Havana Brown, which is a hide type and color shared among the Werber 1729 and the revamped Cable Raincoat A-2 jackets. This leather is very much for the purists who don't mind seeing the natural characteristics in the hide that include grain, insect bites, range marks, scars, etc. The aniline dye is really very thin and translucent, quite in keeping with what we see in many of the pre-war and early-war A-2s, though the overall color opacity varies from batch to batch and jacket to jacket. This example here is of the very mottled, translucent dye type, which I personally prefer, but we have in stock both this type of finish and those with greater opacity, none of which is intentional by Eastman or the tannery and is just how the leather batches turn out.

Another authentic aspect of this A-2 is its hand and the weight: this feels like a vintage A-2 and it weighs in like a vintage A-2. Most of the high-end A-2 jackets are just too heavy to be authentic; after all, it was designated a Summer Flying Jacket. Vintage A-2 jackets that correctly measure out to a size 40 typically weigh very close to 3 lbs. (most are just a few ounces over it). This Rough Wear 1401-P A-2 in Vintage WarHorse in size 40R weighs in at 3 lbs. 3 ozs. - perfect!

For reference purposes, my build is as follows: chest 40", 5' 9" tall, waist 30", shirt sleeve 33", weight 147 lbs., lean, athletic build. The jacket is a 40R that I'm wearing.

We have sizes 36R-48R in stock, and long and extra-long fittings are available on order.

You can see detailed images, read our fit tips and see product measurements here on our website:

https://www.historypreservation.com...ing-jacket-rough-wear-clo-co-order-no-1401-p/

_DSC0003crpadjwo.jpg _DSC0007crpadjwo.jpg _DSC0012crpadjwo.jpg

JumpBoot

One of the Regulars
Wow. That's exactly how I think an A2 should fit. ******....I may wind up with another jacket, when I'm trying to clean out the closet.

JumpBoot

One of the Regulars
Thanks, Nick. I'm going to hate to see it go, but I can't see it just sitting in the closet for the next however many years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner