EBay arghh!! ##$&&

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Thuggee, May 23, 2019.

1. Thuggee

Thuggee Practically Family

what happened to you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Downunder G Man

Downunder G Man A-List Customer

The case I mentioned earlier in the thread of the "barely worn" AKA "FLOGGED OUT" Aero Highwayman I was also in your "kind of" predicament. The UK seller had my money , AND the original post cost , AND I was meant to post the offending jacket back to the UK on my Aussie dollar. SO then NO jacket and post paid for twice by me ?

" Not happening" says me , that was setting myself up for a real drubbing. Seller STILL claimed the Aero was "top notch".

That same week almost I had bought an ex-UK 4 year old "barely used" Eastman Luftwaffe , similar buy price , same post cost , and it was BRAND SPANKING NEW !! As advertised 100% , "worn a half dozen times"...

So the seller offered a part refund , best chance I was gunna get , so I accepted. That Aero was for sure a Thrift find ( or similarly sourced ) as the female ebay seller had other Aero jackets in various sizes.

I know not the same as your case but same kind of wary vibe from Australia to the UK ( or wherever actually !)

3. Thuggee

How long ago was this?

Based on my current experience the return after you stated your case should be at the sellers expense if they won’t pay for the return you keep the jacket and get a 100% refund, that’s what’s I’ve been threatened with by eBay.

4. Fonzie

Fonzie Practically Family

Some idiot decided he didn’t want to pay his tax duties and claimed he never got the jacket. After a lot of phone calls eBay sided with me but it wasn’t easy.

5. Bennarion

Bennarion Practically Family

It’s just awful to read such stories :eek:

Fanch and Benny Holiday like this.
  6. Thuggee

That’s crazy so it was still en-route and actual held by custom waiting for taxes to be paid and he was claiming he never got it? Tracking surely would have shown this?

My idiot did the same thing as soon it was held up in UK customs he started spamming saying he was going to do a charge back as it was lost and he didn’t want to wait anymore , even though tracking showed it was being held waiting for customs fees to be paid.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fonzie likes this.
  7. Downunder G Man

I raised concerns with the seller ( and eBay !) IMMEDIATELY on opening the package. Within 10 minutes I kid you not !
    Instead of being "barely used" ( exact wording from her listing !) the jacket was for sure a "thrift shop" special.
    Then over a week of back and forth me/ebay/seller blah blah...

Time frame October 2016 . I was not presented with the scenario you have described as being presented to you.

I accepted the "partial refund" , "restored" the jacket , and sold it on Aussie Gumtree to a guy in Melbourne as a "well broken in" Aero Highwayman. Here is a snapshot of the "conversation" just retrieved from my ebay messages

"Problem there is the 1 way post cost I have paid already , that cost obviously doubling if I post the jacket back.
    My whole point is that the jacket is not as described , it's not "barely worn in excellent condition" , it's 15+ years old I reckon. Notchy zipper on the way out , well worn lining with holes in several places
    From your feedback I see you sell many jackets over time , and some do indeed look "new" or very close to it"

My back and forth emails went on for ages , I will spare you the rest of them !

Thuggee likes this.
  8. Downunder G Man

PS I was "remarkably nice" to the ebay seller in 100% of my communications lest they be "used" agin' me at any time !
    Plus I was the guy out all the money ( 255 pounds plus post, well over $500 AUD !). They refunded me 100 Quid sterling eventually , after 3 weeks !

I was persistent to the end , then came the offer of a "partial" refund , but the seller continued to moan on about me having expectations WAY too high for used goods , and that QUOTE "they would never sell international" again.

I have just this evening looked at the feedback of that same seller and they have had dozens and dozens of Aero jackets for sale since over the times. ebay seller name (ebay seller name edited out in case of forum disapproval)

9. Guppy

Guppy Call Me a Cab

Jesus H Christ. International transactions are a total nightmare. I would have told eBay to close the account and walked away giving nothing to the buyer, and tell them that they can sue you for the money.

10. Monitor

Monitor I'll Lock Up

Seconded. Nobody can really do anything about it and you can just open another account and start over. Really makes me furious the Ferrari asshole "won".

Benny Holiday and Thuggee like this.
  11. sweetfights

sweetfights One Too Many

We do get hit hard in Canada. I make very attempt to circumvent the "Global Shipping" scam.

Thuggee likes this.
  12. Thuggee

Ok case now closed this guy can no longer shake me down for anything further.

I’ll publish his details as a warning to others deal with this guy at your own risk.

He will most likely contact you and ask about discounts or offer some sort off eBay arrangement, he likes to talk about his Ferrari and spam you about his business and send you photos of his car.

Be aware as a seller you have 0 protection from scammers like this guy, I believe if I had gone through with the return as suggested by eBay after reporting this buyer for fraud I would have received a phone book, he had planned to get his discount way before he received my essentially brand new ELMC G1.

His name is Andrew Bailey his contact details below:

eBay id : shellfound

andrewbailey@dimatec.co.uk
    Tel (UK) 01234241200 or 07710 909318

He’s a complete turd from the start this guy bombarded me with messages, wanted discounts, complained and ranted about UK customs, couriers ect even wanted me to send the jacket to a “mate” to avoid customs fees , and I stupidly let me guard down should have blocked him from the start when the warning bells started ringing.

Do business with this guy at your own risk.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
    dubpynchon, El Marro, Dav and 7 others like this.
  13. robrinay

robrinay One Too Many

Ta

Thuggee likes this.
  14. Imuricecreamman

Imuricecreamman One of the Regulars

Lesson learned and with no help from ebay you chose wisely and cut your losses with the partial refund.

robrinay and Thuggee like this.
  15. ProteinNerd

ProteinNerd My Mail is Forwarded Here

Added to my eBay block list, I’d recommend everyone does it...

Thuggee likes this.
  16. Thuggee

I should add even after I gave this buyer his partial refund and he acknowledged it he still wouldn’t close the claim against me I had to get eBay involved to close it.

It’s worth noting I never lost my cool with either the buyer or eBay always kept to the facts & was polite.

Andrew if you ever read this or if you own a Ferrari and I highly doubt it I hope you die horribly in a car crash while wearing my jacket you TURD.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

17. JMax

JMax One Too Many

bn1966, Monitor and Thuggee like this.
  18. Thuggee

Peter Mackin, Monitor and JMax like this.
  19. Guppy

Guppy Call Me a Cab

PayPal just announced updates to their service agreement. There's one important change:

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/ua/upcoming-policies-full

Amendment to the PayPal Account User Agreement for Sellers
    • PayPal may use any of the payment methods linked to a seller’s PayPal account to prevent the seller’s account from becoming negative when there are not sufficient funds in the account for seller refunds, reversals and chargebacks.
    So this means that you can't protect yourself by removing funds from your account in order to protect them from eBay Buyer Protection scams. Ebay would refund the buyer, and then PayPal would charge whatever accounts you have linked to your PayPal account to keep your PayPal balance going negative.

I don't know if you can unlink the funding methods from your PayPal account in advance, anticipating an unfair outcome, but it seems like it'd be a big pain to link/unlink your accounts whenever something happens. But it seems like it'd be a smart plan. Maybe smarter to not use PayPal anymore, but I imagine that's pretty difficult considering how ubiquitous PayPal has been.

Thuggee likes this.
  20. Downunder G Man

Well I just got myself a "bargain" vintage Brooks collared café racer. Looks in very good order and at $25 USD BARGAIN !

Arriving in Australia, "Global shipping" from Michigan to Perth Western Australia.

$25.00 USD
    Shipping and handling
    $12.75 USD
    Total
    $37.75 USD
    Payment
    $37.75 USD

From amount
    $56.30 AUD
    To amount
    $37.75 USD
    Exchange rate
    $0.67 USD

So a $25 USD jacket becomes a $110 AUD jacket , not quite the expected "bargain" but there you go...
    Global shipping and "Aussie GST" bumps up the payola !

Thuggee and Imuricecreamman like this.