Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

eBay fit woes

Sunny

One Too Many
GoldLeaf said:
I was curious, what happened to having one thread in the Classifieds that we could put all ladies' things into? It's hard having to wade through the hats and pens and men's suits. Some titles aren't descriptive enough to let me know that its a male item instead of a female item.

The seller could update their post when the item sold. Just a thought :)

That sounds like a great idea to me. Is it OK if one of us just sets it up? Does it need to be a bartender? Does a mod need to give permission?

Or are there good reasons not to do it?

anabolina

A-List Customer
Not an EBay fit woe, but another woe. I bought this cute shirtdress on eBay with a cute sort of atomic print. It's navy blue with red and cream marks on it and red buttons and the cutest short sleeves. Anyway, I know I should have inspected it before I wore it, but it didn't smell funny, so I wore it to work the next day. I was playing with the skirt and it tore. The fabric has little holes and the fabric is very weak in this specific area. Anyway, I was at work and couldnt just leave to go home and I used a sewing kit to fix it. Unfortunately it tore again and I got a sweater to wear and give me a weird 80s vibe and that covered up the hole. Now I'm wondering if I should repair the dress or take it apart and use it as a pattern. The tear i about 4 inches long and isn't torn in more than 1 line and the fabric is so week, it would probaby tear again if I ever I wore it. <sigh> Such is life.

badleekitty

New in Town
GoldLeaf said:
Yeah, I am oddly proportioned, too. That cute 60's dress I ordered doesn't fit right. Partly my fault, it was the first dress I ever ordered, and I forgot to check the shoulder measurements. I can barely move my arms and there is no seam allowance. I also forgot that since I am 6' I have long arms. The sleeves are very short and tight in strange places.

I look very thin, but I have large measurements because I am tall. I have a 32" waist, which is a bit on the larger size, but if my waist were much smaller I would look sickly. 38-32-42 is odd. Ah well. Its why I am trying to learn to sew :)

Girl! Don't feel bad I thougth I was the only one that had these weird measurements. It is very hard for me to find something that fits me right because of it... mine are 36-32-39 which are odd in my opinion

Foofoogal

Banned
Need clarification once and for all.
Jitterbug doll stated a link could be put in classified section for a vendor and Kimberley stated a vendors myspace could be put into a profile. I didn't think I could do classifieds as a vendor but do have my a link in my profile. May I put my myspace link somewhere though I detest myspace. So glitchy.
Not trying to be picky but I keep seeing different things about what can be done and would really like to do the right thing.
I do sell and always have a money back guaranteed policy. I also buy stuff that turns out to not fit me or is not as described.
I am currently trying to figure out how to clean a silk piece that was dirty. I don't think oxyclean will work on silk. [huh] Thanks. Sandy

TheKitschGoth

A-List Customer
badleekitty said:
Girl! Don't feel bad I thougth I was the only one that had these weird measurements. It is very hard for me to find something that fits me right because of it... mine are 36-32-39 which are odd in my opinion

I've got the same measurements as you, they really are a pain aren't they?

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
TheKitschGoth said:
I've got the same measurements as you, they really are a pain aren't they?

ugh, my proportions are pretty similar to you two, but a little larger. i can't believe how difficult having wide waist (in comparison to one's bust and hips) makes finding clothing! [huh]

ChezPez

New in Town
I'm so comforted to find others with the wide waist problem! All I ever hear from girls is how they hate their small waists and big hips. I'd kill for that kind of figure!

The waist cincher I have helps some in achieving the hourglass look, but it then puffs my tummy out and makes me look pregnant. And girdles smoosh my small booty too much, so that doesn't help. I can't win!

I'm more of a fan of '40s fashion, but lately I've looked up some 30's fashion auctions for the hell of it, and those seem to favor wider waists more. I'm considering trying it out.

GoldLeaf

A-List Customer
ChezPez said:
I'm so comforted to find others with the wide waist problem! All I ever hear from girls is how they hate their small waists and big hips. I'd kill for that kind of figure!

The waist cincher I have helps some in achieving the hourglass look, but it then puffs my tummy out and makes me look pregnant. And girdles smoosh my small booty too much, so that doesn't help. I can't win!

I'm more of a fan of '40s fashion, but lately I've looked up some 30's fashion auctions for the hell of it, and those seem to favor wider waists more. I'm considering trying it out.

Yay! I am glad that I am not alone! I feel bad that so many of us suffer from strange proportions, but at least we know we aren't suffering alone!

Chez, Try wearing your waist cincher lower, it should go over your hips a bit. Your undies and your cincher should meet. It shouldn't effect your derri?®re but would help with the tummy issue :)

badleekitty

New in Town
ChezPez said:

I would prefer to have a smaller waist but I just try to be happy with what I have for the moment. I am pretty tall so can't really tell my waist is that wide. When I want a more hourglass figure I just throw on my Rago waist cincher. You are right they really make a huge difference ...:p

badleekitty

New in Town
ChezPez said:

Ha! I found that to be the truth as well. I guess because in the 30s the dresses really were free on the waist area and not so much on the 40s and 50s style.

GoldLeaf

A-List Customer
badleekitty said:
I would prefer to have a smaller waist but I just try to be happy with what I have for the moment. I am pretty tall so can't really tell my waist is that wide. When I want a more hourglass figure I just throw on my Rago waist cincher. You are right they really make a huge difference ...:p

Yay for tall ladies! Yeah, same here. I am 6' tall, so is LadyDeWinter. I think everything has to be larger or else we would look very sickly! I can't immagine me with a 27 inch waist :eek:

I used to weigh 150 and I thought I was pretty darn thin, I was a standard size 8, sometimes a 6. I once had a modeling search thing tell me that I needed to drop 20 lbs if I wanted to stand a chance in the industry. I was nothing but muscle because I played highly competitive basketball and had to be in great shape. At which i told them to blow it out their rears, ranted about the negative impact the super thin fashion industry had on teens, and stormed off. Righteous indignant rage for the win! :p lol

Mildred

New in Town
woes

No ebay for me-they are too expensive and I did buy a dress that was just terrible on there. I would much rather do the Thrifts. You know that you are getting and I can see also if I can sew cute buttons on it. I think ebay is too pricey.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
30s stuff tends to be more straight up and down so the waist is larger compared with 40s stuff. I usually have the bust is right, hips are right, waist is big issue or the bust is fine but the hips are narrow.

Yes, I am one of those with a curvy figure!

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Foofoogal said:
Need clarification once and for all.
Jitterbug doll stated a link could be put in classified section for a vendor and Kimberley stated a vendors myspace could be put into a profile. I didn't think I could do classifieds as a vendor but do have my a link in my profile. May I put my myspace link somewhere though I detest myspace. So glitchy.
Not trying to be picky but I keep seeing different things about what can be done and would really like to do the right thing.
I do sell and always have a money back guaranteed policy. I also buy stuff that turns out to not fit me or is not as described.
I am currently trying to figure out how to clean a silk piece that was dirty. I don't think oxyclean will work on silk. [huh] Thanks. Sandy
From MK:
Vendor: Not allowed to post in classifieds. Not allowed to have signatures. Not allowed to sell their wares at all.

Vendor/Sponsor: Not allowed to post in classifieds, Can post in Merchants. Can have signatures. Not allowed to hawk their wares outside of Merchants forum.

If you're interested in the vendor/sponsor status, PM MK.

Viviene

Vendor
Foofoogal,

DON'T use Oxyclean or Biz on silk. Silk is a protein based fabric and both those products will eat it alive. If you do a google search on how to clean silk you'll find lots of information. Hope this helps. MK has already addressed the vendor/sponsor, vendor, nonvendor item you asked about.

Foofoogal

Banned
Thanks ITG for clarification. I am still trying to figure out how to send pms though I did this before which I cannot seem to find the button or link now. [huh] I would love to find out how to be a vendor/sponsor if affordable. :) I love this place. I think I maybe love it because it seems to have such a wide range of folks. I dislike cookie cutter people. I have found as a vendor all kinds of people collect all kinds of things including vintage clothing.

Viviene thank you. I see alot of confusion on cleaning silk on the net. Some say dry clean, some say never dry clean and some say you can hand wash.
This is more of a silk brocade so tempted to try myself. I did know not to use oxy on it though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy