Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay scammer or am I overly cautious?

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I bid on and won an auction on the 10th. I immediately processed the payment via PayPal. On the 11th, I got a note from the seller that he's out of town traveling until the 21st or 22nd and will ship the item on probably the 23rd or 24th, when he's back home and has time to deal with things that have piled up while out of town.

It sounds somewhat reasonable, but then the little voice in my head is saying I won't have the item until well after 15 days after the transaction closed. I thought I'd heard people mention that either Ebay or PayPal or both had shortened the period of time to file complaints with some of their recent policy changes but I can't find definitive information on either web site.

It just seems odd to me, in thinking back, that someone would start an auction knowing they were taking a long trip beginning a day or two before said auction is scheduled to close. Said trip would delay shipping the item for at least two weeks after the auction closes.

Do I sound overly suspicious? Or does it sound like an Ebay scam? Do I file some sort of protective claim now that I can then withdraw when the item's received? It's not that expensive an item, but still...

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It could be fine

as maybe they didn't know they were going on the trip - maybe someone died or something.
Normally,if they know they are traveling, they say so in the shipping details on the auction listing.
I wouldn't worry until after the 23rd or so - maybe email them asking for a confirmation and see what happens...

Odalisque

A-List Customer
Sorry for the huge relpy!

From the Paypal Website:

13. Protection for Buyers.

The following terms are effective for transactions made on or after 10/31/08. To view the protection terms and conditions for transactions made prior to 10/31/08 see Exhibit “A” to section 13 below.

13.3 PayPal Buyer Protection

What are the eligibility requirements for PayPal Buyer Protection?

You must meet all of these requirements:
* Use PayPal to purchase an eligible item on eBay.

* Pay for the full amount of the item with one payment. Items purchased with multiple payments – like a deposit followed by a final payment – are not eligible.

* Send the payment to the seller through:

o The eBay "Pay Now" button or the eBay invoice, or

o The "Send Money" tab on your PayPal account overview page by selecting "Pay for eBay Items" and entering your eBay User ID and the eBay item number.

* Open a Dispute within 45 days of the date you sent the payment – then follow the online dispute resolution process described below under Dispute Resolution.

* Keep your PayPal account in good standing.

How do I know if I’m purchasing an eligible item on eBay?

Look for the buyer protection message in the eBay listing in the right hand column under the "Buy Safely" banner. If you see this message, and you meet the eligibility requirements, then your purchase is covered by PayPal Buyer Protection. You can also view this message after you complete your purchase by logging in to your eBay account, going to "my eBay" and looking at the listing. If the listing does not include the buyer protection message, then it is not eligible for PayPal Buyer Protection.

The buyer protection message will vary based on the eBay website. Here are examples of the buyer protection message:

eBay.com (uncapped coverage)
Pay with PayPal and you're covered. See eligibility

eBay.ca (capped coverage)
This item is covered up to C$2000 See eligibility

This item is covered up to C$200 See eligibility

How much coverage do I get with PayPal Buyer Protection?

If you see the eBay.com buyer protection message "Pay with PayPal and you’re covered", and if PayPal finds in your favor on your Claim, PayPal will reimburse you for the full purchase price of the item and original shipping costs – with no cap on coverage. If the buyer protection message includes a cap on coverage (such as the message on eBay.ca above), and if PayPal finds in your favor, then PayPal will reimburse you for the full purchase price of the item and original shipping costs, up to the coverage cap specified in the buyer protection message. The amount of coverage varies based on the eBay website where the purchase is made.

PayPal will not reimburse you for the return shipping costs that you incur to return a Significantly Not as Described item to the seller or other party PayPal specifies. If the seller presents evidence that they delivered the goods to your address, PayPal may find in favor of the seller even if you did not receive the goods.

13.4 Dispute Resolution

If you are unable to resolve the problem directly with the seller, go to the Resolution Center and follow this process:

Open a Dispute.

Open a Dispute within 45 days of the date you made the payment for the item you would like to dispute.

Escalate the Dispute to a Claim.

If you and the seller are unable to come to an agreement, escalate the Dispute to a Claim within 20 days after opening the dispute.

You must wait at least 7 days from the date of payment to escalate a Dispute for an Item Not Received (INR), unless the Dispute is for $2,500 or more. If you do not escalate the Dispute to a Claim within 20 days, PayPal will close the Dispute.

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=p/gen/ua/policy_buyer_complaint-outside

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21