Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

eBay questions/discussion

AHP91

Practically Family
I didn't want to post this necessarily in a outerwear/workwear thread, and maybe others can post questions they have for eBay or other marketplaces if they have them here.

My question: in the case of an auction where the winner chooses to 'reject' the winning purchase - why wouldn't eBay force the seller to sell the item to the next highest bidder? It seems like it would be far too easy for someone to artificially create demand for a product in bidding, only to then reject the item and then relist for another auction. Am I overlooking something here?

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Ebay can't compel someone to do something they don't want to do.

They have mechanisms to influence, but that's about it.

They can assess listing fees, punishing the seller for canceling the sale. They rely on the Feedback system so that social pressure from users keep each other in check.

AHP91

Practically Family
Don't really know - from my end, seems like it should be standard procedure to have the second highest bidder automatically be given the winning bid in that case. Not really "forcing the seller" to do anything - they listed an item for sale, winning bidder backs out, item was still bid on by another price.

Haven't heard too many other marketplaces where a winning bid can be so easily canceled.

Edit - and again, seems like the procedure currently set in place paves the wave for massive tampering. Automatically transferring the winning bid to the next bidder would appear to come very close to eliminating any need for "social pressure".

Last edited:

Jasonissm

Practically Family
Don't really know - from my end, seems like it should be standard procedure to have the second highest bidder automatically be given the winning bid in that case. Not really "forcing the seller" to do anything - they listed an item for sale, winning bidder backs out, item was still bid on by another price.

Haven't heard too many other marketplaces where a winning bid can be so easily canceled.

Edit - and again, seems like the procedure currently set in place paves the wave for massive tampering. Automatically transferring the winning bid to the next bidder would appear to come very close to eliminating any need for "social pressure".
If the second highest bidder is given the bid in case of cancellation, if a seller is bidding on their own item to drive up the price, by starting an artificial bidding war they can then pass on to the highest bid to the real bidder, at the highest price they would have gone up to.

This is the way Yahoo Auctions is set up, where the seller can cancel the top bidder and pass onto the next highest, in the case of bad buyer ratings, etc. and I have seen some shady stuff going on sometimes with that system.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up

They do, or did, have a "second chance offer" option to give a second place bidder the option to buy if the winner backed out.

AHP91

Practically Family
If the second highest bidder is given the bid in case of cancellation, if a seller is bidding on their own item to drive up the price, by starting an artificial bidding war they can then pass on to the highest bid to the real bidder, at the highest price they would have gone up to.

This is the way Yahoo Auctions is set up, where the seller can cancel the top bidder and pass onto the next highest, in the case of bad buyer ratings, etc. and I have seen some shady stuff going on sometimes with that system.
Yes, I can see how it wouldn't necessarily fix that problem then, either. I don't know, seems like any way you slice it, there are big flaws with the online auctions if the winning bidder isn't charged for, and pays for, the item asap.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I've had my winning bids cancelled many times, sometimes the item get relisted sometimes it doesn't. There isn't guarantees. Most of the savvy sellers will list their stuff on multiple platforms and channels and try to maximize their selling price.
If you buy and sell frequently it makes sense to setup your own web shop where other jacket owners can either consign on your webpage or you can offer them a lower cash to buy outright. This way the nice jackets will come to you instead of you going after them. This process model seems to work well for the high end luxury womens bags and stuff.

Madhouse27

One of the Regulars
I’ve had winning bidders not pay or respond to messages so I’ve offered the item to the second place bidder. Ebay didn’t compel me to do this, nor do they seem to crack down on bidders who waste your time with winning bids who don’t seem to have any intention of actually buying the item.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
If you buy and sell frequently it makes sense to setup your own web shop where other jacket owners can either consign on your webpage or you can offer them a lower cash to buy outright. This way the nice jackets will come to you instead of you going after them. This process model seems to work well for the high end luxury womens bags and stuff.
I bought my vintage j24 from such a consignment website.

https://www.cornerluxe.com/fr/vente...real-mccoy-s-buco-j-24-m-48-veste-motard.html

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
His jacket is original. I was just commenting in the price of a new RMC in Europe. LOL There is a thread in which we exchange the zipper differences. Love the hide on his jacket. I have one j24 with the same hide. Sadly, it does not fit me anymore. However, back on the day, I rock that thing all over, I even got it stolen at night club, After a good ass whipping I got it from a guy who claimed it belong to his friend and did not know it was mine. LOL. The guy was one of those go-go dancer dudes at a club called 1970's in Hollywood.

Last edited:

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
I was just commenting in the price of a new RMC in Europe.
Here in Japan a RMC j24 costs ¥270000 which is about €1800.

Same jacket in Europe costs €2600. Crazy really. It's still a €1800 jacket, it's not €2600 nice.

Same holds for boots. Yesterday I bought a pair of Clinch boots here in Tokyo. I'd say they're good for the money I've paid for them here. But no way they're worth what they're going for in the USA or in Europe.

Last edited:

Jasonissm

Practically Family
Here in Japan a RMC j24 costs $270000 which is about €1800.

Same jacket in Europe costs €2600. Crazy really. It's still a €1800 jacket, it's not €2600 nice.

Same holds for boots. Yesterday I bought a pair of Clinch boots here in Tokyo. I'd say they're good for the money I've paid for them here. But no way they're worth what they're going for in the USA or in Europe.
Interested to see what Clinch you got! I wanted a pair, shop was closed. I'm just gonna keep thinking they probably wouldn't have had my size in stock anyways. :rolleyes:

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Here in Japan a RMC j24 costs ¥270000 which is about €1800.

And you can get your 10% tax refunded at the airport. Bring your receipts.

Jasonissm

Practically Family
I bought some RMC stuff, they don't do tax refund. Not all shops offer it. I did get the tax refund from Brass Tokyo and Schott :).
Interesting, one of my friends bought from Brass Tokyo and they didn't do tax refund and he wasn't able to get it back at the airport either!

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Interesting, one of my friends bought from Brass Tokyo and they didn't do tax refund and he wasn't able to get it back at the airport either!
They have an app on their phone which they use to scan your passport. You need to have a stamp in it which you get at the airport when you enter Japan. It proves that you're visiting as a tourist.
The 10% is deducted in store. At the airport you need to show the goods you've bought tax free, making sure they leave the country.

Last edited:

Jasonissm

Practically Family
They have an app on their phone which they use to scan your passport. You need to have a stamp in it which you get at the airport when you enter Japan. It proves that you're visiting as a tourist.
The 10% is deducted in store. At the airport you need to show the goods you've bought tax free, making sure they leave the country.
Cool, I used that same process when I bought some jewellery from First Arrows, I wonder why they told my friend they didn't offer tax free...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner