Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay seller asking for more $ after I paid

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Hi folks... not sure what to do here. I paid for an item I won on the bay... shipping was stated as $15.99 on the listing.

I just got this message from her,
I was quite shocked to find it cost me 20.81 to ship this item due the extra padding and heavier box. I would greatly appreciate it if you could reimburse me the difference.

I think it's completely unfair, and she should eat it. All part of selling I say. However I also have perfect feedback and don't want to risk it over a few bucks.

But isn't the new feedback rule that you can't give bidders bad feedback when they've paid?

What would you do?
Nikki

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Remember...

... SELLERS can't leave negative or neutral feedback for BUYERS anymore. That said, what with the way fuel increases have hit the shipping companies, I think I'd offer to meet her half way...

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
I'd make her eat it. It's part of her responsibility as a seller to correctly calculate and verify her shipping costs. I can't tell you how many times I lost money on shipping for items I sold. Never, ever have I considered asking for more money, as I always accepted that fact that it was MY responsibility to figure that stuff out before listing the item.

Miss Crisplock

A-List Customer
Hmmm. I got this on an item a while back. I very politely questioned the shipping price and the extra padding and shipping materials. I stated that I thought they were part of the "shipping and handling fee" and if not, I didn't know if I still wanted the item at the higher price, should I ask ebay how to handle that eventuality?

The seller backed down.

Your milage may vary, but I felt I was being shaken down.:eek:

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I think that I might pay it. I realize that it's not the agreement that you entered, but think of the consequence: the seller will find a way to ship the item for less money by reducing the amount of padding (which I take to indicate that this is a breakable item) and/or the size of the box. Sure, you could leave negative feedback and possibly seek the insurance money (if any) if you receive a broken item, but you've still got a broken item.

I'd also consider the item's cost. We're only talking about $5. If you've got an expensive item, throw in the extra fiver for piece of mind.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Zemke. In my mind, I inserted the word "would", as in "it would cost me x for shipping".

In that case, I'm buying my ticket on the "she should eat it" train.

Sunny

One Too Many
Lefty said:
I'd also consider the item's cost. We're only talking about $5.

I'm with that, too. One of my earliest purchases, about 4 years ago, was for a homemade winter coat, FULLY lined in fake fur. The seller was obviously just trying to get rid of it. I was the only bidder at $5, and the shipping was also entered at $5. The seller emailed, seemed honestly very surprised at how heavy it was, and the shipping was up to $10. I paid the extra with no complaint. (I don't remember if I was surprised, didn't care, or just inexperienced.) When I got it I fully appreciated the increase in cost. It was indeed a very heavy coat, and definitely needed more shipping. I've always been glad I didn't make a stink about it, especially since it was such a low price anyway. If it had been a high starting bid or competitive win, that may have been different.

I'd also consider the seller's experience. If it's an honest mistake, I'd probably not worry about it. It's only $5. I've also been on the other end. I've shipped a couple things overseas that ended up costing more than I thought, and I definitely lost money on the deal because the margin was so small; I don't want to do that deliberately to someone else. People who are just trying to clear out a closet or an estate are having to guess on the shipping anyway. But if the seller makes a business of it, or is starting a business, that's different. In that case it is not just legal but logical to expect the seller to know what to charge, and eat the costs if he makes a mistake.

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
As an Ebay seller, I've made this mistake...and I never ask for reimbursement.
I kick myself all the way home from the Post Office, but never ask for the $$.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
I sell a lot on ebay lately, and always try to calculate a bit high. Sometimes I cna get it shipped a bit cheaper than they paid, and I keep it as handling. I figure they may have bid more if the shipping was lower.

But, on occasion, I can ship for less by downgrading to first class, but expecting it to be nearly as quick. And then I will refund the savings to the buyer. Or, sometimes I tell a european or japanese buyer to wait to pay till I can see if I can send it for less.

But, sometimes I underestimate and then I have to eat it. end of story.

I will bet a dollar this seller has never refunded money to a buyer when she saves a few bucks. So this can come out of the overage fund.

Unless the seller asks if you would like extra special shipping, padding etc. But you do have aright to expect it be shipped in proper shipping to arrive safely.

texasgirl

One Too Many
I'm all about good karma. I'd probably pay it. But then again I overestimated something recently, and then sent $5 back to the buyer and never got a thank you...

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I'd pay it, too. I've underestimated shipping before and eaten it, and it really sucks, especially if you sell the item at a loss. Like mentioned before, if the item was packed so it would cost less it could break, and that would be a lot worse than paying the extra $5 shipping. I'd probably be mad, too, as a buyer- but it's better to get it in one piece rather than broken. It's not like it's pre-packaged and weighed at a warehouse- maybe the seller is new and you could send a note telling them to be more careful with listing on ebay? I've done that before, too.

carter

I'll Lock Up
I've sold items on ebay where the shipping has been more than I estimated. At least once I lost money. That being said, as a seller, I would not presume to ask for more money once the transaction was completed as agreed upon initially.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Olive that's probably the best answer, lol!

As a seller I would never ask for more~

It's a teapot coming from Canada. And no, I probably would not have bid if the shipping had been higher.

I'm thinking of telling her that if it arrives in one piece, I'll pay the extra, but not before then. Do you think that's fair?
Nikki

Weston

A-List Customer
I eat extra shipping cost all the time, but thats because I try to keep my costs low. Unfortunately, something like this might cause a normally cheap seller to jack up prices - as I will no doubt have to do if I keep underpricing the shipping.

DerMann

Practically Family
If it's a seller with more than 100 or so seller feedback, just say nuts.

However, if the seller is still starting out, offer to meet him/her halfway.

Edward

Bartender
ohairas said:
Olive that's probably the best answer, lol!

As a seller I would never ask for more~

It's a teapot coming from Canada. And no, I probably would not have bid if the shipping had been higher.

I'm thinking of telling her that if it arrives in one piece, I'll pay the extra, but not before then. Do you think that's fair?
Nikki

Yeah, I think that's reasonable. I suppose wehther I'd pay it would come down to whether I believed the seller was just looking to make back a bit of extra cash, having discovered the item sold for much less than they had been expectin,g or if it was a genuine mistake, in which case I'd be back to treating the seller as I'd like to be treated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart