Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay sellers account update

sweetfights

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Now eBay wants your bank account information in order for you to sell.

Can you imagine??

Good luck eBay.

Let's see how long this lasts...... LOL

I was called on the phone by an eBay rep asking me to update my account with my banking information. I politely explained I would never sell again on eBay if this is what is required.

Now eBay wants your bank account information in order for you to sell.

Can you imagine??

Good luck eBay.

Let's see how long this lasts...... LOL

I was called on the phone by an eBay rep asking me to update my account with my banking information. I politely explained I would never sell again on eBay if this is what is required.
I went through that yesterday and was hoping for a link up to my PayPal but it is not an option. So I too will opt out of Ebay.

Kubatu

A-List Customer
This is not unusual for selling platforms. Etsy and Poshmark are two I can think of that are similar. The reason they want your bank account info is because now everything is being done in-house. It's no different than having PayPal, Amazon, or any other selling platform be connected to your bank account.

If you are an active seller, I'm surprised you're finding this out now. They introduced their new managed payment system last year, and I was required to join spring 2021. I held out because I liked the instant access to funds Paypal afforded, but eventually I had to opt-in to the program if I wanted to keep listing things. Apart from the one point above (I don't have the money in my account immediately), I've had no problems with it.

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
But you make a good point- my paypal is connected to my bank account for transfers and deposits, but I still do not like it one bit.
I think the difference with PayPal and eBay is that PayPal went through their trials, and came out trustworthy. I know a lot of people who were extremely skeptical about PayPal when it first started. What eBay is doing now is saying if there's a dispute with a buyer, eBay can just reach into your bank account and take the money without appeal. A lot of people are rightfully disdainful of the idea.

Ebay has really gone down in quality as both a selling site and a buyer's site. I was just talking it over with a friend, actually, as he has an eBay store that he's been using less and less just because the quality of service as dropped significantly. Feebay has gotten ridiculous. I sold a few Halloween masks on eBay last year and the fees were so outrageous, I haven't put anything up for sale since, and with these new terms, I probably never will again.

I've been using eBay as a buyer since around 2005. They one of were the first websites I ever signed up to. As a buyer I've noticed how eBay has dropped in quality of the items they sell. Ebay used to be a great place to pick up cool odds and ends you couldn't find anywhere else, like a virtual thrift shop or antique store, and now it's devolved into a "Chinese sellers" site for any item that isn't from a super niche interest. Sadly, I've noticed Etsy is slowly starting to become that way, too. Between China and all the 3D printer "artists" out there who wouldn't know how to finish a print if they were just applying stickers, there's a shrinking sweet spot of crafters who still make beautiful, handmade pieces.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
I think the difference with PayPal and eBay is that PayPal went through their trials, and came out trustworthy. I know a lot of people who were extremely skeptical about PayPal when it first started. What eBay is doing now is saying if there's a dispute with a buyer, eBay can just reach into your bank account and take the money without appeal. A lot of people are rightfully disdainful of the idea.
This is pretty much where I stand, too.

Given how many fintech companies have sprung out there, which represent ever-increasing competition for PayPal, and in many cases with more convincing forward paths than PayPal (which is getting a bit tired), I wouldn't be surprised if e-Bay's attempt to internalize user's bank account info is a prelude to selling PayPal. In fact that's the first thing I thought of when I saw the accouncement of the bank account thing.

Yep, definitely won't have anything to do with eBay anymore.

To be honest, I'm not sure how to feel about this because while I've definitely made some great sales on eBay & made money I wouldn't have made otherwise but for reasons I can't quite articulate, in the last couple of years, doing business there started feeling kind of revolting. Could be 'cause they've moved completely toward vendors which for the most part are complete trash. But it's also because of their constant attempts at tryna scam you wherever and however they could.

I don't like the fact that Paypal is connected to my bank account but I'm going to at least use it for a lot of things so I kind of need it. I don't need eBay and I don't want them having access to my bank account. If other platforms can do business without it, so can eBay.

Good thing this had happened, too 'cause I'm guessing (hoping) that now Grailed and other, much better selling platforms are going to get a lot more traffic.
Grailed is a good service, I really like doing business there, I like the vibe of the side and I don't mind their fees. I like it that they have quality control and that they're putting a stop to crap listings. Their verification system is also cool, even if it's not 100% sure but at least you know what those 9% are going for.

powersci

One of the Regulars
This is not unusual for selling platforms. Etsy and Poshmark are two I can think of that are similar.

At least with Poshmark you can still sell without giving your bank account. The downside is getting paid by paper check. Fortunately, I’ve never had an issue getting a check from them. I do like buying/selling on Poshmark, but the 20% commission is fairly high. Good news is that they are, in my opinion, very seller friendly.

I mentioned in another thread that I am hesitant to give my financial information over to other companies. My credit was compromised by Equifax and whoever got it went on a shopping spree. They were attempting to spend thousands with my accounts. Luckily every purchase was marked as fraud. I locked down my credit after that. Hell, even my medical data was recently compromised. The apology from the university and hospital was lackluster.

I am extremely skeptical of any company’s ability to protect data. This is why I am no longer selling on eBay, even though I had good success selling higher priced items. I don’t mind buying as I can use virtual and temporary credit card numbers. I can set limits and expiration dates. Ultimately, I figure the fewer companies that have my financial data, the better.

J Utah

Familiar Face
[QUOTE="Monitor, post: 2830190,

Good thing this had happened, too 'cause I'm guessing (hoping) that now Grailed and other, much better selling platforms are going to get a lot more traffic.
Grailed is a good service, I really like doing business there, I like the vibe of the side and I don't mind their fees. I like it that they have quality control and that they're putting a stop to crap listings. Their verification system is also cool, even if it's not 100% sure but at least you know what those 9% are going for.[/QUOTE]

Grailed is absolutely not safe for sellers . I sold a pair of lofgrens in sept (550usd)to buyer in new york, main st, BOA . who then simply issued a charge back through his credit card 4 weeks later, which was linked to his paypal , which was linked to his grailed.
Grailed said nothing we can do to contact paypal , paypal said nothing we can do its the credit card company, who in turn said weve already ruled against you , and thats that.
grailed has ignored all my queries about this case , simply stating' that WE didnt give him his money back' so not their problem.
He got my lofgrens , all his money back which means I even payed the cost myself to send them to him .

A major loop hole thats being exploited in the open and being very well hidden. When i went onto their boards asking about this , they banned my account and blocked my IP address from even accessing their site. Paypal has now sold their dept to a collector thats now sending me letters.
Grailed offers absolutely no seller protection.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Even as a buyer i am starting to find eBay more risky...
This year i have had two cases of jackets not as described being sent to me and both times eBay ended up taking the sellers side and both times i was saved by Paypal in the end.

This was the most recent one, it was described as ""In very good overall condition with just slight soiled thin line on the liner ", when it arrived i instantly noticed that both wrists where completely dry rotted on the inside, literally crumbling to dust, and the lining was torn on both wrists:

96wrHIR.jpg

26IWYvv.jpg

I started a dispute on eBay, stating not as described and asking for a return label to ship the jacket back, within 24hours ebay had refused without giving any reason, closed the case and left me with no recourse to do anything.
I left the seller a negative feedback, that had also disappeard the next day and the seller was back to a 100% positive feedback!

Thankfully i was able to open a paypal dispute which went in my favour, i had to pay for return shipping myself, but in the end i lost 70$ rather than 400$.

All that to say that if eBay is trying to force people out of using paypal and into using their own payment system i am out!
I trust Paypal, i have been using the service for more than 15 years, have never had a problem with it and they have saved me from bad sellers multiple times. EBay on the other hand i don't trust, they have tried to screw me multiple times.

Also, avoid this seller:

https://www.ebay.com/usr/fortvintage?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

Mich486

One Too Many
Once a month or so I normally receive a “1£ max selling fees” offer lasting for a couple of days and then it’s when I list stuff. As for the bank account info I just have an old secondary bank account where nothing gets paid into, the same I have linked to PayPal. I got my card hacked a few years ago and decided that online I only use an account with minimal money in it.

Ebay is what it is but it’s got the widest reach of all websites. Grailed is cool but it’s very US focused.

Grailed is absolutely not safe for sellers . I sold a pair of lofgrens in sept (550usd)to buyer in new york, main st, BOA . who then simply issued a charge back through his credit card 4 weeks later, which was linked to his paypal , which was linked to his grailed.
Grailed said nothing we can do to contact paypal , paypal said nothing we can do its the credit card company, who in turn said weve already ruled against you , and thats that.
grailed has ignored all my queries about this case , simply stating' that WE didnt give him his money back' so not their problem.
He got my lofgrens , all his money back which means I even payed the cost myself to send them to him .

A major loop hole thats being exploited in the open and being very well hidden. When i went onto their boards asking about this , they banned my account and blocked my IP address from even accessing their site. Paypal has now sold their dept to a collector thats now sending me letters.
Grailed offers absolutely no seller protection.

That's pretty horrid. I know Grailed isn't nearly as safe for seller as other platforms but I guess every selling place has got its share of issues. So far I've only had only positive experience selling and buying with Grailed and a lot of nerve wrecking problems on eBay.

For instance, I sold a pair of pants over Grailed but the seller never received them for some reason, and after I provided Grailed with all the documentation that I indeed have correctly shipped the item, they immediately ruled in my favor.

On the other hand, I've had eBay throwing my PP account into a massive negative because 15 days after receiving the jacket, buyer suddenly figured out that it has a "slight perfume-y odor". After a month of trying to prove how ridiculous the claim was, even after they ruled in my favor, they left the negative review the person left me, which affected my account for a whole year! For each of numerous times that I have complained, I've gotten a reply that the negative review represents "buyers experience with dealing through eBay and thus cannot be removed". Utter garbage.

NYDRH

One of the Regulars
[QUOTE="Monitor, post: 2830190,

Grailed is a good service, I really like doing business there, I like the vibe of the side and I don't mind their fees. I like it that they have quality control and that they're putting a stop to crap listings. Their verification system is also cool, even if it's not 100% sure but at least you know what those 9% are going for.

Grailed offers absolutely no seller protection.[/QUOTE]
This is disturbing. As much as ebay seems to always side with the buyer and would inevitably allow the buyer to claim whatever bs they want they wouldn't hang you out to dry like that and then pretend you didn't exist.

J Utah

Familiar Face
.[/QUOTE]
This is disturbing. As much as ebay seems to always side with the buyer and would inevitably allow the buyer to claim whatever bs they want they wouldn't hang you out to dry like that and then pretend you didn't exist.[/QUOTE]

They basically admitted to the loophole , but it was still the most unusual charge back ive read about.
I was given no reason why nor offered the chance to prove my case(offer original ad photos, ad link etc) . I was simply asked , would i like to refund the money or not.
I of course clicked 'not' but it didnt matter.
Meanwhile the scam buyer works for Bank of America on Wall St , New York , so he clearly bypassed several rules and laws and just issued his own chargeback.
If only I knew someone in the US , they could just collect them , as the onus on getting my boots back was left entirely to me. Hardly gonna chase someone over pond during a pandemic.
They offer seller protection out the wazoo but stand by none of it.
Im surprised this hasnt happened to more people , wont sell there again , just too easy to get ripped off.

NYDRH

One of the Regulars
This is disturbing. As much as ebay seems to always side with the buyer and would inevitably allow the buyer to claim whatever bs they want they wouldn't hang you out to dry like that and then pretend you didn't exist.[/QUOTE]

They basically admitted to the loophole , but it was still the most unusual charge back ive read about.
I was given no reason why nor offered the chance to prove my case(offer original ad photos, ad link etc) . I was simply asked , would i like to refund the money or not.
I of course clicked 'not' but it didnt matter.
Meanwhile the scam buyer works for Bank of America on Wall St , New York , so he clearly bypassed several rules and laws and just issued his own chargeback.
If only I knew someone in the US , they could just collect them , as the onus on getting my boots back was left entirely to me. Hardly gonna chase someone over pond during a pandemic.
They offer seller protection out the wazoo but stand by none of it.
Im surprised this hasnt happened to more people , wont sell there again , just too easy to get ripped off.[/QUOTE]
What happened to you is ridiculous, makes me think twice about the stuff i have on grailed thus far i have had good experience using it.

I assumed the eBay PayPal issue was about the fee and them wanting total control. I don't remember exactly when (f/w '20) but PayPal started keeping the fee even when you refunded a person. My guess is this is what instigated the change but I'm not certain of that.

I just keep reading more stories about people getting ripped off from all angles and all of these services keeping raising their fees and now that also collects tax on used clothing. It's getting to the point where it isn't worth the time and effort to sell anything except your most valuable did, might as well donate it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk