Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ebay worries

catspyjamas

New in Town
Hello all,

Need some advice ! I bought 2 items from ebay last month and still have not received them (shipped to my home in the US). The sellers have not replied to ANY of my emails. How long would you wait before opening a dispute file with ebay ?

Gosh, I am so upset !

:(

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Usually I threaten negative feedback and that gets their attention. However, it's possible your emails are getting filtered into spam - there's a way to get the seller's phone number, you might try calling first.

Gilbey

One of the Regulars
A month is about enough time to file a dispute on Ebay. If you paid by Paypal, I would file the Paypal dispute on the day before its expiration (just to give them the benefit of the doubt). Good luck Cats.

Helen Troy

A-List Customer
I don't know anything about US custom service, but have you checked if it's stuck there? A slim chance, maybe, since it is alarming that the seller does not answer you.

Remember that if you paid through PayPal, I think they provide some kind of insurance for you. I do not know the details, but it's worth checking out!

mikepara

Practically Family
Ebay Anger...

Even Ebay itself causes anger and frustration. I recently put a copy of Esquire's Encyclopedia of 20th Century Men's Fashions on Ebay (I even had it on here in the classifieds) I thought I had put it on at a starting price of £25.00 which I thought fair. It appears that thanks to the new self generating price thing it was mistakingly put on at £250! no wonder it didn't sell. unfortunately I never notice until it hadn't sold. To kick me further I had the fees to pay for the hefty starting price and the repost fees for the new auction at the original intended price. Groan. Luckily it sold this time.

catspyjamas

New in Town
Thanks all for the advice. Miss B. I will try to get in touch with the sellers via another method as you suggested. I don't think my emails would be spammed though since I only pass through the ebay message sender...so unless they spam everything coming from ebay they should have received them.

Just a side note : the objects I bought were in the US and I had them shipped to an address in the US. Usually it would take a week, right ?

Can anyone tell me how the Paypal reimbursement works ? Luckily, I did pay through Paypal...

Cats

Gilbey

One of the Regulars
catspyjamas said:
Can anyone tell me how the Paypal reimbursement works ? Luckily, I did pay through Paypal...

Cats

When you open a dispute, you'll inform PayPal about the type of problem you are having and then post a message explaining the situation to your seller. Even if you've already emailed the seller you should still use the dispute resolution process because doing so ensures that your communication with the seller will be visible to PayPal if the dispute is escalated to a claim. Also, it increases the likelihood that the seller will take your concerns seriously and respond thoughtfully.

Paypal will send an email to the seller letting them know that you have opened a dispute. The seller will review your message and respond by posting a message in the Resolution Center. For example, if you opened a dispute because you never received your item, the seller might post a message that includes the tracking number or information on when the item was shipped.

You’ll be notified by email when the seller posts a new message and asked to log in to the Resolution Center to review it. From here, you can communicate directly by posting messages back and forth.

To help ensure that problem transactions are addressed within a reasonable period of time, you must close or escalate your dispute to a PayPal claim within 20 days. After 20 days, your dispute will automatically close. Paypal will remind you of this deadline on the Dispute Details page and will contact you by email when the deadline is approaching. If you've reached an agreement with the seller, you can close the dispute at anytime. It's important that you wait until you are 100% satisfied that your concerns have been addressed before closing the dispute. A closed dispute cannot be re-opened or escalated to a PayPal claim.

Most disputes are resolved through open communication but, unfortunately, this is not always the case. Escalating to a PayPal claim is your best option when you and the seller cannot agree on a resolution within 20 calendar days of the date the dispute was opened or if one party chooses not to communicate. By escalating to a claim, you are asking PayPal to decide your case. PayPal will use the messages you and the seller exchanged during the dispute along with other information to determine the appropriate outcome. You can respond to requests for information from PayPal and track progress of a claim in the Resolution Center.

If you win the case, Paypal wil reimburse you the whole amount. Good luck! :)

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Reporting to eBay

On your "Items I've Won" page in your "My eBay" area look at the entry for the item you are waiting on. Towards the right of the listing there should be a column titled "Action" (assuming all versions of eBay are similar--I'm looking at the US version.) There is probably a box under that column that says "Leave Feedback." There will be a button with a down arrow next to that. Press the down arrow. A list of options should pop up, including "Report an Item Not Received." If you click on that it brings up the starting page of the reporting process.

You can start the process 10 days after the end of the sale, and you have up to 60 days to do so.

Good luck!

Tom

catspyjamas

New in Town
Tangoyankee and Gilbey, thank you so much for the advice ! I did end up filing one dispute...the other one I'm giving another chance. We shall see.

Mikepara : yes, i can see your being upset with ebay...fees on 250£ is not a small thing. By the way, when you say Scottish borders, does that mean you are a member of the regiment ? Wha' shot the cheese ?

cats

mikepara

Practically Family
Re Paypal Dispute: Sometimes it can kick start the bad guy to pay up or send the item. However in the 4 cases that I've used it, the Ebayer at fault just ignored both Paypal and me.

Paypal paid up about a month later and I got my money back less the wopping £15.00 that paypal takes for getting your money back.

So if your items were not very expensive its not worth doing.

Oh and I also got 4 tit for tat feedback negs for my trouble!

mikepara

Practically Family
Re: By the way, when you say Scottish borders, does that mean you are a member of the regiment ? Wha' shot the cheese ?

Sorry, haven't a clue about shot cheese, or what your refering to. I am an ex Paratrooper who now lives in the Scottish borders, nothing to do with Kings Own Scottish Borderers. (Excepting some of the old & bold of their WWII 7th Bn who where Airborne and fought at Arnhem.)

cgab1

One of the Regulars
The same thing happened to me . I won a beautiful suit which I never received. It should only take about 7-10 days to ship. I was eventually reimbursed. Looks like you've received all the advice that you will need. Good luck!

cgab

catspyjamas said:
Thanks all for the advice. Miss B. I will try to get in touch with the sellers via another method as you suggested. I don't think my emails would be spammed though since I only pass through the ebay message sender...so unless they spam everything coming from ebay they should have received them.

Just a side note : the objects I bought were in the US and I had them shipped to an address in the US. Usually it would take a week, right ?

Cats

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
pain in the butt situation with newly won Trench Coat...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just emailed the seller who said that the postage would be $7 (I know!! too good to be true ), as I was after an ETA on the item.

The goal posts have totally changed now, what do you make of this email to me? (I didn't get the email he talks about)

I sent you a e-mail on Monday concerning this matter.when we attempted to mail out on monday at our post office, they told us they now only ship express to your area.when we listed the item we were informed by phone that depending on your district it could cost sending regular air mail between 7.00 to 10.00 dollars.well know we have learned the cost is between 25.00 to 37.00 express for your area.so I had sent you the e-mail explaining this. I will refund you back your money upon request if you don't want to pay the shipping cost. that is way to expensive to send. maybe you can find a coat in your area for less shipping. let us know what you would like for us to do. and let us know if tyou are getting our e-mails.
Respond to this question

Responses in My Messages will not include your email address.

Details for item number: 110137017829

Any advice on how I get around this? as it's a great Trench, a great price on it, but I'm getting screwed on the postage now!!!!! (is he trying to make money because I got it at such a good deal?) HELP!!! please

mikepara

Practically Family
Paddy, Strange one. He sold a leather trench coat for less than £6.00 with free shipping, and unless he bid on it with a dodgy scam seems to have sent it.

I think logically a total of say $45.00 doesn't seem to excessive for a rain coat. (post may be right after all)

I'd pay if I won the coat.

catspyjamas

New in Town
PADDY said:
pain in the butt situation with newly won Trench Coat...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just emailed the seller who said that the postage would be $7 (I know!! too good to be true ), as I was after an ETA on the item.

The goal posts have totally changed now, what do you make of this email to me? (I didn't get the email he talks about)

I sent you a e-mail on Monday concerning this matter.when we attempted to mail out on monday at our post office, they told us they now only ship express to your area.when we listed the item we were informed by phone that depending on your district it could cost sending regular air mail between 7.00 to 10.00 dollars.well know we have learned the cost is between 25.00 to 37.00 express for your area.so I had sent you the e-mail explaining this. I will refund you back your money upon request if you don't want to pay the shipping cost. that is way to expensive to send. maybe you can find a coat in your area for less shipping. let us know what you would like for us to do. and let us know if tyou are getting our e-mails.
Respond to this question

Responses in My Messages will not include your email address.

Details for item number: 110137017829

Any advice on how I get around this? as it's a great Trench, a great price on it, but I'm getting screwed on the postage now!!!!! (is he trying to make money because I got it at such a good deal?) HELP!!! please

Paddy, It sounds like he changed his mind about selling and is trying to back out of the deal without leaving any feathers...this is my newly found ebay sceptiscm talking. If you can live without this trench then I would get my refund and chalk it up to experience. Imagine you pay extra and then the bozo never sends it to you (like in my case) ! I am so disenchanted with ebay...does it show ?

Good luck though. Hope it works out for you.

cats

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Paddy,

I would think if you placed your bid after he quoted you the shipping and is now changing, you might consider taking the matter to ebay if you wanted to go that route or if you didn't either not get the jacket or just pay it.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I hate it when things I win for really cheap mysteriously get "damaged". There's no way I can prove they aren't, so there's really nothing I can do.

I'm trying to deal with a guy now who I got something from. It had a buy it now, but no reserve, so I bid, and ended up winning it for 99 cents instead of the buy it now of 50 dollars. I paid, he never sent it, and recently relisted it. I don't really care about not getting it, but I'm out my shipping money on it, and I'd kind of like that back.

catspyjamas

New in Town
Happy end

Update on my throes with ebay...One of the sellers closed shop and so I'm waiting on paypal to help me out. The other seller refunded as soon as I slapped a negative feedback on 'em. It is a shame to have to resort to that in order for people to respond. Sheesh. So, it is almost a happy ending - although I wish my DHs trousers weren't lost in the battle.

After experiences like those, I think I am cured of ebay though.

Hope everyone else has been having better luck !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats