Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ebay worries

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
I need a bit of advice here. I sold a small item to someone in the UK. The auction ended a little over 60 days ago and I have yet to receive payment. I've had communication with the buyer in the meantime and he keeps making excuses and saying he's going to send payment. I had another such exchange today. I decided that I should file an unpaid item claim and leave negative feedback and just relist the item. However, Ebay only lets you file unpaid item claims for 45 days! What should I do? Should I leave negative feedback and relist? Should I give the buyer the benefit of the doubt and give him a deadline for sending payment or I'll relist and leave negative feedback?

catspyjamas

New in Town
KittyT said:
I need a bit of advice here. I sold a small item to someone in the UK. The auction ended a little over 60 days ago and I have yet to receive payment. I've had communication with the buyer in the meantime and he keeps making excuses and saying he's going to send payment. I had another such exchange today. I decided that I should file an unpaid item claim and leave negative feedback and just relist the item. However, Ebay only lets you file unpaid item claims for 45 days! What should I do? Should I leave negative feedback and relist? Should I give the buyer the benefit of the doubt and give him a deadline for sending payment or I'll relist and leave negative feedback?

I would leave negative feedback and file a claim if you can. The bozo never paid you and you have fees on the sold item ! Although it is always nice to have 100% positives I don't think you should get hung up about a potential negative. People can read the feedback and make their own judgement about why you may have received a negative.
Good luck !

cats

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
I would leave negative but on the very last day possible to avoid retaliation. I am not sure how long you have to leave feedback tho.

I read the ebay help section and I do not think there is a limit to how long you have to leave feedback.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
catspyjamas said:
I would leave negative feedback and file a claim if you can. The bozo never paid you and you have fees on the sold item ! Although it is always nice to have 100% positives I don't think you should get hung up about a potential negative. People can read the feedback and make their own judgement about why you may have received a negative.

I cannot file a claim because too much time has passed (more than 60 days) and you only have 45 days to file an unpaid item claim.

texasgirl

One Too Many
Okay, so I won this watch a couple weeks ago, Aug 22.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=110160094340&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=001

On the 28th I got this message:
Hello there.. I had a whole bunch of stuff to have sent off including your watch, but has been misplaced during a move..... If I can't find it by friday I'll have to refund you your money. I am so sorry. My house is a wreck at the moment because we are getting rid of a lot of stuff. Sorry agian for the inconvience...

I told him/her to please keep looking for it. Then on the 1st I got this message:

I still can't find the watch.. I've torn my house apart looking for it... If you want to wait a little longer I'll still look or I can give you back the money you paid... I'm so sorry this never happens but I am moving my brother out and my mom in... Total Chaos. haha.. get back to me.. Thanks, CC

So what do ya'll think? Should I cut my losses and get a refund? Do you think they are just mad it didn't go higher in the bidding? Should I leave a negative? I am really bummed, I needed this for an event on the 15th...

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You know, I always give people the benefit of the doubt and assume they mean well. I know for a fact there are many normal people on eBay who are quite scatter brained and don't realize how professional they're expected to be. Chances are, most of you have run into honest people who quickly become overwhelmed with the responsibility of actually shipping these items.

Think of it this way: John Doe bought and sold a few things, so he has a decent understanding of the eBay mechanisms. He takes a picture of some old widget he has lying around the house thinking he'll make a small fortune on eBay. After the listing, one or two people bid, he gets less than he was hoping and waits for payment. Because he’s been sitting on pins and needles for seven days and hasn’t seen the price rise above $4.50, it never occurs to him to actually relocate the item upon the end of the listing. Once he receives payment, he’s not too excited to get it out to you because it involves getting out to the post office. You make your payment, he spends a few days looking around, finally gets it down to the post office and realizes it’s going to cost him his first born to ship it. He takes it back home, lays it on the counter on top of some newspapers and forgets about it, sends you an email, one of the kids gets home and runs off with it, etc, etc. and this guy sees no big deal in it because, after all, it’s just eBay, right?

Do you see what I mean?

So when people F everything up on their end – and I can back out simply by receiving a refund via paypal – I go for the refund and buy the item somewhere else.

Now if it’s some really unique item, or something I really want and it’s at a great price, then I might CONSIDER getting nutty over it. Otherwise, I take the refund and move on. I’m dealing with that right now. I received a broken pocketwatch, sent it back and I’m waiting on the ‘pending’ refund through paypal. As soon as it’s done, I’m leaving positive feedback to the seller and moving on. I’ve already purchased a nicer watch anyway.

Blondie

Practically Family
texasgirl said:
Okay, so I won this watch a couple weeks ago, Aug 22.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=110160094340&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=001

On the 28th I got this message:
Hello there.. I had a whole bunch of stuff to have sent off including your watch, but has been misplaced during a move..... If I can't find it by friday I'll have to refund you your money. I am so sorry. My house is a wreck at the moment because we are getting rid of a lot of stuff. Sorry agian for the inconvience...

I told him/her to please keep looking for it. Then on the 1st I got this message:

I still can't find the watch.. I've torn my house apart looking for it... If you want to wait a little longer I'll still look or I can give you back the money you paid... I'm so sorry this never happens but I am moving my brother out and my mom in... Total Chaos. haha.. get back to me.. Thanks, CC

So what do ya'll think? Should I cut my losses and get a refund? Do you think they are just mad it didn't go higher in the bidding? Should I leave a negative? I am really bummed, I needed this for an event on the 15th...
I would get my money back, then watch the sellers listings, bet they "just happen to find it " and relist,
I HATE it when something i have won suddenly get paint on it, gets ruined,gets blown away in a tropical storm, yes, i have heard quite a few tales from ebay sellers. It's just so obvious the buyer DID NOT get the price they wanted for the item, buyers remorse is one thing, but SELLERS REMORSE stinks !

Undertow

Empyrium said:
Sorry im not on ebay but thinking to start it...
When you list something on ebay you cant set a minimum price you want?

Of course you can. In fact, you can set a reserve price that, if not meant, does not obligate you to sell the item at all.

However, as I've said in my previous post, when these things occur, your generally dealing with a novice who thinks they're gonna get a fortune for their widget. They don't bother to "study" the eBay market on these items and they don't bother to set a high enough starting bid.

mikepara

Practically Family
Blondie said:
I would get my money back, then watch the sellers listings, bet they "just happen to find it " and relist,
I HATE it when something i have won suddenly get paint on it, gets ruined,gets blown away in a tropical storm, yes, i have heard quite a few tales from ebay sellers. It's just so obvious the buyer DID NOT get the price they wanted for the item, buyers remorse is one thing, but SELLERS REMORSE stinks !

There's lots of dodgy people on Ebay. However sometimes it's not as simple as it appears. I bought some DVD's a year back, paid a reasonable amount because I wanted the films and paid by cheque. My cheque was cashed and I waited for the films. They never turned up so I Ebay message him. No reply. I email him, A month later I leave him bad feedback and notice loads more new bad feedback! Ha serves him right!
Three months later I get the package, as described. HuH? I e-mail no reply. About 5 days later I get a letter. roughly this:

" Sorry for the delay in getting the package. You bought from my Son [Name]. Unfortunately [name] was involved in a fatal for him car crash, whilst going to work. We found all these Addressed packages along with yours in the Boot [trunk] and we have just got around to dealing with them. We are still unwilling to access his computer so if there's anything else outstanding ..."

texasgirl

One Too Many
Oh, that's sad! Yes, I tend to jump to conclusions, so I guess sometimes there is a reason for no communication. You just never know...

Thanks for all the feedback. I went ahead and asked them to refund my money. And I asked them to let me know if it turns up- we'll see. I hope I don't find it relisted. And I'm still bummed. :(

Undertow

mikepara

Gosh that is a sad story. I hate to hear that. I don't pretend this doesn't happen at all, but I guess when I hear the story like this, it really puts an egg in your throat. :(

texasgirl

One Too Many
Well, the saga continues. An email 9 days ago from the seller said I would get a refund in 3-4 days. So still nothing. I went ahead and left him a negative feedback. So here's the email I just got

Thank you for leaving me negative feedback, really apreciate it. As if I didn't have enough problems already...... Paypal just robbed me for $600 because they let some scammer return an item paid them, I get back the item and it's not the same thing I sent off... so now my account is $600 in the negative.. I was trying to clear this up since you said you wanted to be paid through paypal.... Give me an address where I can send a personal check to since I am never using paypal ever agian due to the fact that they rip sellers off. Sorry that I lost the watch and that you were forced to leave negative feedback. thanks. All for a measly $20.

AND, he left me a negative too, nice huh-here it is:

Left negative feedback after I offered a refund for lost item. IMPATIENT.

So apparently waiting over 30 days for a refund is impatient. I am so mad right now!!!! The seller's name is now-u-see-it BEWARE!

ShortClara

One Too Many
texasgirl, you should respond to your neg, leaving a comment without emotion. Sold XX/XX (date), Paid XX/XX, Never received package, tried to work w/ seller, Requested refund XX/XX (or something like this)

and then future sellers will see you are not impatient, you tried to work with the seller, and that the neg was not deserved.

Vintage Betty

Dinerman said:
I hate it when things I win for really cheap mysteriously get "damaged". There's no way I can prove they aren't, so there's really nothing I can do.

I'm trying to deal with a guy now who I got something from. It had a buy it now, but no reserve, so I bid, and ended up winning it for 99 cents instead of the buy it now of 50 dollars. I paid, he never sent it, and recently relisted it. I don't really care about not getting it, but I'm out my shipping money on it, and I'd kind of like that back.

I'm watching a seller who did this to me and has the same scam. I'd report them to ebay with all the auction info and let ebay sort it out.

VB

Vintage Betty

I've had an increase...

In sellers scamming me. Therefore, I now have a formula:

2 weeks out, no contact, I send this message, and attach to a Paypal dispute:

Dear Seller,

Due to increased fraud from Ebay sellers I am now filing non-receipt of good reports with Paypal and Ebay if the item(s) I ordered are not received within 2 weeks of my payment.

Once the item(s) have been received, I will withdraw the dispute.

Thank you for your understanding ~

XXX

I simply don't have the time to deal with people and their dramas. It might sound harsh, but it saves me time and saves me money. Every single time I have given someone the benefit of the doubt, they have scammed me. No more. :rage:

Feel free to use this form letter for your own use.

VB

texasgirl

One Too Many
I will definitely put a response to his negative feedback on me. It's just so irritating! I went ahead and sent him my work address- I'm scared for this nutcase to have my house address! He sent me another email- I won't continue the drama on here, but suffice it to say this guy is not a professional.

Vintage Betty

texasgirl said:
I will definitely put a response to his negative feedback on me. It's just so irritating! I went ahead and sent him my work address- I'm scared for this nutcase to have my house address! He sent me another email- I won't continue the drama on here, but suffice it to say this guy is not a professional.

Than, if possible, I would end communication with him.

In my world, some things just aren't worth getting your money back, no matter how irritating they can be. Just my .02.

VB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats