Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

eBay's Most Paranoid Vendor

Status
Not open for further replies.

theinterchange

One Too Many
You know, I got to thinking about the Conroe Texas remark... that's discriminating and borderline slander on the part of the seller. Something I personally would report to eBay.

Randy

BanjoMerlin

A-List Customer
ideaguy said:
Since everyone's throwing in their two cents-I'd copy all correspondence, take a photo of the hat (with the brim turned up, as you received it), and waste no time calling eBay; I wouldn't start with anything else-don't return it
until you talk to someone with some clout at eBay, and it can and has been done- 1-800-701-3229; these days, the buyer's in the drivers' seat, and I think you have more than enough claim to a complete refund, as well as your choice of feedback, if you so choose.
Strange days, indeed.

good luck!

I think this might just cause the seller to dig his heels in. The hat was exactly what he said it was. Unless there is prior-sale documentation that the seller guaranteed the hat would fit it would be difficult to prove the seller is at fault in any way.

Take photos of the hat and return it. No reason to bother eBay unless the seller refuses the refund.

BanjoMerlin

A-List Customer
theinterchange said:
You know, I got to thinking about the Conroe Texas remark... that's discriminating and borderline slander on the part of the seller. Something I personally would report to eBay.

Randy

It isn't slander if it is true. Every college has some rotten eggs that love to buy things and then return them. A city with unique name like Conroe would be memorable.

theinterchange

One Too Many
BanjoMerlin said:
It isn't slander if it is true. Every college has some rotten eggs that love to buy things and then return them. A city with unique name like Conroe would be memorable.

Saying that a return is suspicious solely because of someones location pretty much a derogatory comment in my book. [huh] So what if someone from Conroe Texas had returned something that didn't pass their CSI:eBay tests in the past?

Randy

BanjoMerlin

A-List Customer
theinterchange said:
Saying that a return is suspicious solely because of someones location pretty much a derogatory comment in my book. [huh] So what if someone from Conroe Texas had returned something that didn't pass their CSI:eBay tests in the past?

Randy

Here's the actual quote: "NO RUINING HATS THEN RETURNING THEM . AND CONROE TEXAS HAS DONE THIS TO ME BEFORE , SO IM REALLY SUSPICIOUS OF THIS RETURN "

Apparently somebody in Conroe Texas sent back a ruined hat.

Have you ever noticed how many sellers won't ship to Indonesia or several other countries? Fool me once....

theinterchange

One Too Many
BanjoMerlin said:
Here's the actual quote: "NO RUINING HATS THEN RETURNING THEM . AND CONROE TEXAS HAS DONE THIS TO ME BEFORE , SO IM REALLY SUSPICIOUS OF THIS RETURN "

Apparently somebody in Conroe Texas sent back a ruined hat.

Have you ever noticed how many sellers won't ship to Indonesia or several other countries? Fool me once....

Still, so what? I had a buyer from Canton, Ohio STEAL from me... and get away with it! [LONG story] Does that give me the right to make remarks about Canton to another buyer who has to return an item from that location? [huh]

I can understand not shipping to or buying from third world/underdeveloped countries, I hear too many horror stories to even think about it... but this is a middle America town, not Jakarta.

I'm sure ANYONE from ANY town would, according to their CSI:eBay tests, have sent back a "ruined" hat if they had even just tried it on. [huh]

To quote George MacMichael from The Real McCoy's, "I've Had my say"

Randy

MisterGrey

Practically Family
OK, it looks like there is REALLY something fishy now. He's claiming that the last time this happened it was from the exact same address

Here's a message I sent this morning before classes:

I have thoroughly photographed the hat prior to packaging it. These photos, if need, can be compared to photos taken of me initially trying the hat on upon removing it from its package. Since the hat has only been put on my head indoors, in an air conditioned house, you will find no sweat stains. All you will find is a hat that was too small for me to wear and which I have no use for.

What would be the purpose in me spending almost $20 just to order a hat from you, ruin it, and send it back?

The part about me having taken photos of it out of the package is true, as I was planning to post them here in a "New Hats" thread.

I got this reply back this afternoon:

ALL I KNOW IS THE ADDRESS IS THE EXACT SAME AS THE LAST TIME THEY DID THIS , IM NOT GOING TO ARGUE WITH YOU , IF YOU RETURN A PERFECT ITEM YOU GET A REFUND , IF YOU DO NOT RETURN A PERFECT ITEM , THEN I WILL HAVE TO SEND THE ITEM TO EBAY FOR THIER SELLER PROTECTION , I AM AWARE OF PEOPLE ON THE FORUM WHO GO OUT OF THIER WAY TO CAUSE TROUBLE JUST FOR JOLLYS , YOU CAN READ ABOUT 500 STORIES ABOUT THIS IN THE FORUM , SO FOR YOU TO SAY I CANT PROTECT MYSELF , THAT EITHER MEANS YOU DO NOT WANT ME TO PROTECT MYSELF . OR YOU ARE JUST IN A BUILDING THAT GAVE ME TROUBLE BEFORE , EWITHER WAY IM NOT LYING , AND IM NOT BEING MEAN, IM PROTECTING MYSELF , AND I WILL PROTECT NO MATTER WHAT PEOPLE SAY

So I sent this back:

What was the name of the last person who did this to you? I ask because I know the name of the previous tenants of the house I rent.

Also, I never said you couldn't protect yourself. I said that I didn't appreciate accusations being lobbied against me because I live in the same town as someone with whom you had problems in the past.

I ordered a hat for a 7 1/2 head. Because of the sizing information given by a third party, the hat turned out not to fit my head. I mailed it back to you. You will find the hat in the same condition as you mailed it to me. I will mention now in this e-mail in case it ends up in dispute that the XL tag is ripped in the middle, as I received it, where someone tore out the price tag.

The hat has a confirmation number:

(Number removed here for privacy purposes)

Also note my purchase of this hat is documented at a third party internet forum which can be produced as evidence in a paypal dispute, which I will file if you refuse refund.

The worm turns...

MisterGrey

Practically Family
Aaaaaaaand it continues:

I SAW ALL THE PEOPLE AGREEING WITH ME ON THE FORUM , THEY ALL SAID THAT I MIGHT JUST BE TIRED OF BEING TAKEN ADVANTAGE OF .
ANYWAY , NOONE REFUSED A RETURN , I REFUSED TO ACCEPT A STAINED HAT , WHICH IS WHAT I RECIEVED FROM THAT EXACT ADDRESS IN THE PAST UNDER A DOCUMENTED ACCOUNT . AND I WILL NOT ALLOW MYSELF TO BE BEATEN UP BY SOMEONE WHO JUST WANTS TO MAKE ME LOOK BAD ON A FORUM , WHICH I SEE THATS CLEARLY WHY YOU ARE DOING THIS . SO RETURN THE HAT IN PERFECT CONDITION , THATS FINE , BUT THE FORUM ISNT SEEING WHAT YOU ARE DOING TO ME , AND I DO HAVE CUSTOMERS WHO ARE VERY HAPPY THAT CAN REPLY TO YOUR POST , AND TELL THE TRUTH ABOUT MY STORE , THEY WILL LET EVERYONE KNOW THAT YOU ARE MOST LIKELY GIVING ME A HARD TIME , AND THAT YOU ARE THE 1 RUINING A GOOD STORE THAT MANY PEOPLE LOVE .
WHY YOU WOULD DO THAT , I DO NOT KNOW , BUT THERE ARE SEVERAL STORES OUT THERE THAT SELL HATS THAT CAN NOT COMPETE WITH MY HAT PRICES , AND THEY WILL DO ANYTHING TO MAKE ME LOOK BAD . AND HOW WOULD THEY MAKE ME LOOK BAD , PROBABLY BY BUYING FROM ME THEN GIVING ME A VERY HARD TIME UNDER NOT 1 ACCOUNT BUT MULTIPLE ACCOUNTS . SOUND FAMILIAR .
I DO WANT EVERYONE TO KNOW THAT I ALWAYS GIVE GREAT PRICES ON BRAND NEW HATS , I SHIP FAST , AND I TRY MY BEST . AND I HAVE A HUGE HEART ! ALL I ASK FOR IS THAT I AM TREATED ATLEAST IN A WAY WHERE I CAN GET THROUGH THE DAY WITHOUT GETTING BEATEN UP BY AN ONLINE CUSTOMER . PEOPLE REALLY DONT UNDERSTAND HOW HARD THAT IS TO GO THROUGH , LUCKILY 99.9% OF MY CUSTOMERS ARE JUST GREAT AND SO NICE , BUT THAT >01% THAT DOES GO OUT OF THIER WAY TO GIVE ME A HARD TIME , I THINK THEY REALLY SHOULD LOOK AT WHAT THEY DO TO ME , RATHER THAN BEAT ME UP THEN SAY WHY ARENT YOU HELPING .

My response:

I have treated you with nothing but courtesy from the beginning. I thanked you for your speed and efficiency and made sure to acknowledge that I did not hold you responsible for the sizing of the hat. You have responded with nothing but aggressive accusations. If you were scammed in the past I am sorry, but the fact that you won't tell me the name of the previous occupant of this address makes me more than somewhat suspicious, as do your accusations about me wanting to "ruin" your store. I tried to return an item and you responded aggressively. If you are observing the forum you see that I am posting both my messages to you and your responses. There is nothing clandestine going on and nothing for me to "hide". Perhaps in the future you should take a look at how you come across to other people when you begin making baseless accusations. If you had just said "The hat needs to be returned in its original condition" instead of being aggressive from the outset, we would have no issue.

BanjoMerlin

A-List Customer
No, I am not the seller - I'm sure some of you think I am.

I just don't see where he was being "aggressive" in his first response (other than the all upper-case). He was trying to be clear. On the other hand, you have been extremely aggressive - accusing the seller on a public forum of refusing to give you a refund when that is not the case.

The seller said if you send the hat back in the same condition you received it he will refund your money. What is wrong with that??? "IF THE ITEM IS AS RECIEVED AND RESELLABLE CONDITION AS PERFECTLY NEW AND UNWORN , THEN YES WE DO ACCEPPT RETURNS "

You are renting a house. You have the same address that many people have had over the years. How can you be certain that one of those people didn't screw this guy?

BanjoMerlin

A-List Customer
jamespowers said:
If this doesn't go right then we need to know the name of this seller for future reference.

Since he's reading this thread maybe he is a member.

This is the worst kangaroo court I've seen in a long time. Nothing has happened yet.

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
Disagree

I have to disagree with you banjo. It seems pretty clear that the seller is setting up a likely refusal of return on this item by hedging and adding mitigating verbiage in the response.

None of us will know if the seller will refuse, but he sure set himself up to do so. Don't you think?

MisterGrey

Practically Family
BanjoMerlin said:
No, I am not the seller - I'm sure some of you think I am.

I just don't see where he was being "aggressive" in his first response (other than the all upper-case). He was trying to be clear. On the other hand, you have been extremely aggressive - accusing the seller on a public forum of refusing to give you a refund when that is not the case.

He made accusations about me trying to scam him. My first message was very polite and courteous. I really don't see how I've been aggressive at all other than showing the exact communication between myself and the selller.

The seller said if you send the hat back in the same condition you received it he will refund your money. What is wrong with that??? "IF THE ITEM IS AS RECIEVED AND RESELLABLE CONDITION AS PERFECTLY NEW AND UNWORN , THEN YES WE DO ACCEPPT RETURNS "

Again, the accusations.

You are renting a house. You have the same address that many people have had over the years. How can you be certain that one of those people didn't screw this guy?

My current landlord had the house built. There have been four tenants. Though I've never met the previous tenants, other than the landlord, I know who they are. I find it VERY coincidental that the previous tenant, who hasn't lived at this address for several years, scammed this user. Those are astronomically high odds.

MisterGrey

Practically Family
BanjoMerlin said:
I think this might just cause the seller to dig his heels in. The hat was exactly what he said it was. Unless there is prior-sale documentation that the seller guaranteed the hat would fit it would be difficult to prove the seller is at fault in any way.

Take photos of the hat and return it. No reason to bother eBay unless the seller refuses the refund.

The seller offers refunds minus shipping charges. Who ever said anything about a guarantee of a perfect fitting hat? If he doesn't want to go through the trouble of returns or exchanges he should have a "No Returns" policy instead of a 7 Day Return Policy.

MisterGrey

Practically Family
Looks like things might, hopefully, be calming down:

I JUST DO NOT WANT TO HAVE A RUINED HAT RETURNED . ITS THAT SIMPLE . NO NEED TO ASSUME MORE . I AM REAALY ONE OF THE NICEST PEOPLE YOU COULD EVER BUY FROM . THATS THE TRUTH ! SO TELL THE FORUM EVERYTHING , I WANT EVERYONE TO KNOW THE TRUTH . THATS WHAT FORUMS ARE FOR . SO EVERYONE CAN SEE A SITUATION FOR THE TRUTH IN IT , NOT JUST 1 SIDE OF THE STORY . WHOOT WHOOT , COME RIDE THE HAT PARTY TRAIN , WHOOT WHOOT . ITS ACTUALLY PRETTY FUN TO SHOP HERE .

My response:

I never intended to return a ruined hat to you. Like I said, if you'd just said, "Hat must be returned in original condition," everything'd be OK.

I've been posting both of our messages so there's nothing for me to tell, really.

You have the tracking number. The hat should be there by the end of the week, just as I received it.

BanjoMerlin said:
Since he's reading this thread maybe he is a member.

This is the worst kangaroo court I've seen in a long time. Nothing has happened yet.

If he is a member great. He knows what he is in for if he is being unreasonable.
Nothing has happened yet so nothing is being done. We still have no idea who he is so there are no reprisals now or in the future. We don't even have pictures of the hat so we can't check who he is yet. So far the seller is fine---although he looks unreasonable. We will see what happens and then look at the pictures of the hat returned if there are any "condition problems" claimed.

theinterchange

One Too Many
Dear eBay Seller,

How can the original poster be making you look bad? He hasn't given out your eBay handle, or named any names. I respect that fact, were he out to "ruin" you, names would be flying and we'd all know who you are... as it stands now you are a nameless faceless Scala hat seller on eBay, of which there are many. [huh]

Yours laughingly,

Randy

kyboots

Practically Family
Ebay Returns and Abuses

I believe that paranoia is not strong enough to describe that Ebay seller. All comments have been good about those folks who abuse the system, because it is true, but the Seller's remarks are from a person who abuses her customers. Several years ago there was a very, very, very high female in the state government ( did I say high? ) who returned a beautiful hat she had purchased. She returned it two days after the kentucky Derby, an event in which a well dressed lady must wear a hat. The problem was the front page of the Louisville, Ky. newspaper had two pictures of her wearing that hat at the Derby! A minor faux paus needless to say. Tell the seller to read this thread and that 500 people are waiting for your refund! John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou