Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

eBay's Most Paranoid Vendor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
scottyrocks said:
The seller may very well give a refund.

The problem is in his presentation. I would not condemn him in advance. He hasnt actually done anything wrong as of yet. But the way he comes across, he doesnt inspire and trust or confidence that he will do the right thing. In the real world, business people have to do that or they dont often survive. The internet has changed all that because there always seems to be an endless supply of people to keep even the most dishonest sellers in business because people dont read reviews, or do read them and just dont care.

Its not just what you say; its also how you say it.

I agree with this. This situation looks brighter than it did when you first brought it up. From his first post, I suspected he was planning to find anything, real or otherwise, wrong with the hat and refuse a refund. It looks like this transaction can be salvaged, and end well for all. Hopefully that will happen.

BanjoMerlin

A-List Customer
In reading the seller's feedback the response seems to be typical. Many of the feedbacks, even the positive ones, noted the seller's lack of tact.

I don't know whether a refund will be voluntarily given or not but I still think the fireworks should have started after the refusal rather than before.

BTW, the torn size tag on this hat and a few other comments on the feedbacks makes me wonder if these hats are factory seconds. That is a very common way to mark a second. The description of NWOT does not mean "factory second" so that might be yet another issue.

I hope you get your money back but I'm sure even if you do you will become an avid feedback reader!

BanjoMerlin said:
In reading the seller's feedback the response seems to be typical. Many of the feedbacks, even the positive ones, noted the seller's lack of tact.

I don't know whether a refund will be voluntarily given or not but I still think the fireworks should have started after the refusal rather than before.

BTW, the torn size tag on this hat and a few other comments on the feedbacks makes me wonder if these hats are factory seconds. That is a very common way to mark a second. The description of NWOT does not mean "factory second" so that might be yet another issue.

I hope you get your money back but I'm sure even if you do you will become an avid feedback reader!

This begs the question---how did you find out who the seller was? [huh]

Bebop

Practically Family
I can't help wondering about this UV light to check for stains. If you need a UV light to see any stains, it means you can re-sell the hat. Who cares what the hat looks like under a UV light? Buyers want hats that don't have visible stains, not invisible stains. :eusa_doh:

BanjoMerlin

A-List Customer
jamespowers said:
This begs the question---how did you find out who the seller was? [huh]

Searched on eBay for Scala in bucket/fedora hat category. My custom view shows seller feedback on the listing so it is easy to identify those who have numerous listings for Scalas. Got lucky that the first one I picked was the right one (checked feedback and found the positive feedback OP left before he started the return process).

Seller has a feedback score over 5,000. Obviously sells a lot of stuff on eBay.

BTW, the seller seems to use all uppercase for listing descriptions. Maybe his/her capslock key is stuck.

BanjoMerlin

A-List Customer
Bebop said:
I can't help wondering about this UV light to check for stains. If you need a UV light to see any stains, it means you can re-sell the hat. Who cares what the hat looks like under a UV light? Buyers want hats that don't have visible stains, not invisible stains. :eusa_doh:

Yup. If you don't want a hat with invisible sweat stains you'd better not buy one from a brick and mortar store where somebody else may have tried it on before you.

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
scottyrocks said:
The OP spent money in good faith. Afaic, it doesnt matter if he bought a Scala or vintage Borso. He deserves to be treated fairly and with respect.

That is exactly the case. The seller lacked tact and had horrible customer relations.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
BanjoMerlin said:
I still think the fireworks should have started after the refusal rather than before.
Yes, this whole dust up is premature and unnecessary.

BanjoMerlin said:
the torn size tag on this hat ...... makes me wonder if these hats are factory seconds. That is a very common way to mark a second.
This is true.

theinterchange

One Too Many
It's been blown out of proportion, yet it's still an issue to the OP.

Mobile Vulgus said:
That is exactly the case. The seller lacked tact and had horrible customer relations.

I'm still amazed that some on here don't think the seller was out of line. :eusa_doh: They wouldn't stand for this accusatory language in a brick and mortar shopping experience, so why should the original poster be subjected to it online and it be okay? His beef wasn't with the fact that the hat was mis-sized or even the insane return policies, it was with the sellers first contact behaviour.

I still stand by my statement that if a seller is this paranoid of returns, they need to just find a non-eBay job. :rolleyes:

Randy

Nik Taylor

One of the Regulars
This is a timely issue and I am glad this has been discussed at length. The issue for me regards a purchase and the relationship between a buyer and seller on eBay. People may not be aware of the rights and duties between the parties to a transaction on eBay.

This thread should serve to raise the awareness for any potential buyers or sellers about the workings on eBay. I have had to evoke the rules regarding purchases several times...and won. If I did not go through the very explicit instructions I would have surely lost as eBay is very strict regarding their rules.

BanjoMerlin

A-List Customer
I've just never thought of eBay as a place to establish a relationship. Buyer pays, seller ships, end of relationship.

Sellers with eBay stores or with hundreds of items listed at a time are often quite terse in their communications. That is surely not the best case for buyers but is easily avoided.

MisterGrey

Practically Family
Tomasso said:
Yes, this whole dust up is premature and unnecessary.

This is true.

This is totally unknowable, but I'd venture to guess that the seller would have maintained his hard-line paranoia had he not been subjected to public scrutiny. It wasn't until 1) He knew he was under public scrutiny and 2) That scrutiny was generally not on his side that he began to take a softer tone. Had the seller believed that this was only being seen by himself and myself, I think there's a very good chance, based on his initial communications, that my chances of a refund would be very, very slim. Although my intent was to allow this to unfold at the Lounge both to 1) Have public documentation of the transaction and 2) let other Loungers in on a bizarre experience, I think that it served the even greater purpsoe of acting as an impetus for the seller to behave more level-headedly than he initially seemed intent upon.

As I said a few posts ago, my beef has never gravitated around the refund per se-- he'll be receiving it today, so there's no way for me to take issue there (and hopefully there won't be). My beef is that a very simple "I need to return this" transaction turned into me being lobbed accusations of fraud and conspiracy.

And again, to bring up the bricks and mortar analogy-- say this entire transaction had taken place within the course of ten minutes at a brick and mortar store, and ended with me getting a refund. Wouldn't the Lounge still be interested in that experience, either as a cautionary tale, or simply as a general experience in hat buying?

theinterchange

One Too Many
BanjoMerlin said:
I've just never thought of eBay as a place to establish a relationship. Buyer pays, seller ships, end of relationship.

Sellers with eBay stores or with hundreds of items listed at a time are often quite terse in their communications. That is surely not the best case for buyers but is easily avoided.

I've never actually encountered a terse Power Seller/store owner. The terse ones have been the individual who didn't get as much out of their item as they wanted to so they're snotty to the buyer. Though, I know it does happen with Power Sellers.

Now on the Amazon Marketplace... I've written that off after two experiences with sellers who tried but failed to rip me off.

Randy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou