Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ecuador Bound! Hat advice desired.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
panamajess,
I thought I would give you an example of the Semi-Calado style of Panama which ARE somewhat cooler than the others mainly because of the much more open spaces in the style of patterned weaving. The first is a Montecristi Semi-Calado ( 526wpi) which I got from Panama Bob last year and he sent to Gus Miller at Batsakes Hat shop in Cincinatti for blocking and finishing.

Semi-CaladoMontecristi2.jpg

The second is a Cuenca Brisa weave ( 150 wpi) Semi-Calado I got from him last year as well:

BvGDyP2kKGrHqFg4Evri1o2cBMDEwQPiMQ_121.jpg

Of ALL my Panama's these two could be said to be the "coolest" ones I wear mainly as with the much more open area it alows what ever air/breeze thats blowing to flow across my noggin. The Monti has a leather sweat and the Cuenca has a fabric and since these are more of a "dress" hat I rarely wear them when i would be in a big sweat inducing conditions if possible ie from the house to the car, from the car to the bulding I'm going into, then reverse when going back. I WOULD NOT wear out in the Texas sun all day, thats what my work Cuencas are for :)

panamabound

New in Town
Ah, didn't know you had to explicityly enable the PM feature here.

dustinwilliamthompson a t gmail.com

I will be checking it before I leave but the sooner the better. Thanks jess.

D

panamabound

New in Town
Ah, didn't know you had to explicityly enable the PM feature here.

dustinwilliamthompson a t gmail.com

I will be checking it before I leave but the sooner the better. Thanks jess.

D

And the moral of the story is.... I don't know how to enable PMs here. Any pointers?

panamaJess

New in Town
panamajess,
I thought I would give you an example of the Semi-Calado style of Panama which ARE somewhat cooler than the others mainly because of the much more open spaces in the style of patterned weaving. The first is a Montecristi Semi-Calado ( 526wpi) which I got from Panama Bob last year and he sent to Gus Miller at Batsakes Hat shop in Cincinatti for blocking and finishing.

Semi-CaladoMontecristi2.jpg

The second is a Cuenca Brisa weave ( 150 wpi) Semi-Calado I got from him last year as well:

BvGDyP2kKGrHqFg4Evri1o2cBMDEwQPiMQ_121.jpg

Of ALL my Panama's these two could be said to be the "coolest" ones I wear mainly as with the much more open area it alows what ever air/breeze thats blowing to flow across my noggin. The Monti has a leather sweat and the Cuenca has a fabric and since these are more of a "dress" hat I rarely wear them when i would be in a big sweat inducing conditions if possible ie from the house to the car, from the car to the bulding I'm going into, then reverse when going back. I WOULD NOT wear out in the Texas sun all day, thats what my work Cuencas are for :)

Thanks so much for sharing!! I am from Houston myself...if I move back to Texas at least I'll have an excuse to invest in more Panamas. :)

Very nice hats and helpful pics... I know brisa means "breeze" in Spanish, and I looked up calado, which means "latticelike." Both good descriptions for these hats. Brent Black calls them "AC." Panador Hats calls them "Vented."

Also appreciate you sharing your experience with Montecristis.

One Too Many
One thing is true, the first time wich a people buy a Panama Hat, if doesn´t have information about its, sure, will buy a wrong hat in a lot of money, out of the countries where there are a control quality in trade, It´s so hard to find a good hat in good price.
I´ve learned in TFL about the Cuenca and Montecristi hats and was the last year when I could buy one here in México with a serious dealer. Up date, in the world there are chinese hats (paper fiber) imitating panama hats and are selling like thats in the markets, in any store in shores.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
I've read this thread with interest, but as an American I'd think it'd be too dangerous to stray south of the US border.

Do you mean because of the temptation of buying hats or for the risk of being mugged?
if it's the latter I'll tell you that there are just as many probabilities of getting mugged in times square as there are in Quito.

Engrishman

Familiar Face
Do you mean because of the temptation of buying hats or for the risk of being mugged?
if it's the latter I'll tell you that there are just as many probabilities of getting mugged in times square as there are in Quito.

This actually makes me want to cancel my planned visit to Times Square...

That aside, this thread is an amazing source of Panama information. Now I wish I'd booked for Ecuador instead of New York for Easter. Oh well, perhaps another year.

Last edited:

panamaJess

New in Town

That aside, this thread is an amazing source of Panama information. Now I wish I'd booked for Ecuador instead of New York for Easter. Oh well, perhaps another year.

Wait, don't regret your trip to NYC!! I had a fantastic, safe experience there -- my trip was just too short. Enjoy it while you can and enjoy Ecuador next time. :)

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here

Ecaudor is good for Semana Santa. National vacation. Much more so than here.

danofarlington

Wait a minute .... I COMPLETELY forgot Ecuador was a Catholic country. <insert massive facepalm here> Now I REALLY regret not booking for Ecuador.

Perhaps it's not too late. I shall see what my travel agent has to say.

I went down there once a long time ago for Semana Santa; old girl friend of the time. It was a very nice time. She was from Quito, but we went with her family to a place in Guayaquil.

Chindit

New in Town
Hello all,
I haven't been here in quite some time, but I know this is the place for my question.

My wife is dragging me to Ecuador in a couple of weeks. My question is: is it worthwhile to try and get a Panama hat while there? (OR, I am better off ordering it from sources here in the US--assuming I want another hat).

I saw there was a lot of Panama hat info here but I found it kind of overwhelming. I certainly appreciate any assistance. (I don't want to be the idiot tourist who gets taken to the cleaners, so to speak).

Thanks so much,
Joe

Hello all,
I haven't been here in quite some time, but I know this is the place for my question.

My wife is dragging me to Ecuador in a couple of weeks. My question is: is it worthwhile to try and get a Panama hat while there? (OR, I am better off ordering it from sources here in the US--assuming I want another hat).

I saw there was a lot of Panama hat info here but I found it kind of overwhelming. I certainly appreciate any assistance. (I don't want to be the idiot tourist who gets taken to the cleaners, so to speak).

Thanks so much,
Joe

Contact @Tukwila directly if he doesn't respond to this.

Tukwila

What cities are you going to visit?

In Guayaquil, I have been to the Ecua-Andino hats showroom and the Policentro Mall where EA also had a small counter shop in one of the main hallways. You'll find hats from both Cuenca and Montecristi at the showroom. In the mall it's mostly Cuenca made hats, although as I recall I did look at a real nice hat in the mall once as well.

The downside is carrying the hat home. It can be a pain. If you can safely carry it in a carry on bag, that's the best way IMO. No matter what they say, do NOT fold up your hat. Those creases are hard to get out once you do that. Only certain hats are specifically made to roll up.

The upside is you can try a whole stack of hats on to get one that actually fits you really well and the price will be as good or better than you can get here in the US because of shipping costs. I was at Policentro and tried on the nice hat mentioned above... all the hats were marked 59cm in the stack the counter lady brought up, but only one fit me.... some were too small and some were too big. It was a nice hat, but I passed. I think it was about $100, which is a god price considering what you get locally for $100.

There are other markets where they sell 2nds... for around $20 - $25. But the one in Guayaquil is in a place I wouldn't go without a local guide taking you. It's a little bit rough as far as the neighborhood.

In Cuenca, I have been to Homero Ortega and 2 other main places, as well as some smaller shops. Ortega and another place both have museums/museos about Panama hats. I always felt I was treated better at Homero Ortega, although I came real close to buying a hat just a few doors down from them once and now I wish I had.

You should be able to find hats at Ortega from about $35 - $$$$Wow.

Most places sell colored straw hats and "hip," modern stuff and we've picked up a few of those but my love is truly the classic old style hats.

Both Ortega and the other place with the museo can custom make you a hat, including size, ribbon/pug, straw color and weave as well as crease.

There are other towns with straw hats, most notably Montecristi up in the Manabi' province. But other areas as well.

Oh, there's a BIG market in Cuenca and up on the 3rd? floor they sell cheap hats (2nds) in the back. I think we paid $17 for the last one we got there and it wasn't half bad.

I can't give you a bunch of education here but read up on hats on Brent Black's website and Modesto and Panama Hats Direct and others before you go to get an idea of what people charge and how to discern quality.

Keep in mind, there is a 12% IVA (tax) there you have to pay, so a $100 hat becomes $112.

We've spent anywhere from $17 - $800 for Panama hats, and every price point in between. Just don't pay $100 for a $20 hat. In my experience, places that don't have price tags on their merchandise are just waiting for a gringo tourist to come in so they can charge double. Homero Ortega is an honest shop as are the other 2 big shops I mentioned. Sorry, but I can't remember their names...

If you go to Homero Ortega, say hi to Diana from the Berry family in Oregon.

If you go to the Ecua-Andino showroom (Plaza Danin & Avenida Las Americas) say hi to Ana Arias and Paula Lecaro.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner