Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Edge bindings, yea or nay?

Sonoma Jack

New in Town
Hi all,

With the wealth of hat knowledge on this site perhaps this question might be elementary, but I was wondering: What do ya'll think about the cosmetic and functional aspects of binding the edge of a fedora? I notice that most of the pics posted on the site show hats with bound edges. I must be a peculiar bird because I tend to lean--aesthetically anyway--toward raw edges, but I have to wonder if I may be missing something about the advantages of a binding.

BTW, I tried a search on this but didn't find many answers on point, so let me apologize if this subject has already been covered elsewhere.

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Sonoma Jack, I have them both ways and it's hard for me to have a preference. For me though I always tend to think of one with an edge as being a little more dressy whereas the ones without are a little less so. But it's totally a personal preference thing.

fedoralover

Vermifuge

One of the Regulars
Sonoma Jack said:
Hi all,

With the wealth of hat knowledge on this site perhaps this question might be elementary, but I was wondering: What do ya'll think about the cosmetic and functional aspects of binding the edge of a fedora? I notice that most of the pics posted on the site show hats with bound edges. I must be a peculiar bird because I tend to lean--aesthetically anyway--toward raw edges, but I have to wonder if I may be missing something about the advantages of a binding.

BTW, I tried a search on this but didn't find many answers on point, so let me apologize if this subject has already been covered elsewhere.

I like the look of a raw edge. i can't tell you any hirsory or functionality of the binding. but when it comes to looks something about the raw edge looks best on a typical fedora. Though i think a binding looks better or i asume is necessary on some hats . A homburg or durby for example.

nulty

One of the Regulars
Actually this s a good question...

As with all things , it's a matter of personal preference. I have hats with both edge types as well. I don't prefer one over the other but I tend to feel that a bound edge , if not done well, will give the brim a less true shape..

Whether this is true or not I don't know , it's kind of a phobia I guess. On the other hand a bound edge gives a hat a certain touch that is totally lacking in a raw or welted edge hat....

Duck

Practically Family
Personal Preference

I have both and I like both. Some of my thin ribbon hats,such as an Open Road, have a bound edge, while some of my wide ribbon hats have a raw edge.
Totally a matter of personal taste and what you feel like wearing that day.:D

RBH

Bartender
I have to say I could not imagine any of my thin ribbons without the bound edge. But by the same token, I could not picture my wibe ribbons with a bound edge.
I would love to get ahold of a Stetson Playboy. It is a semi-wide ribbon that I think looks sweet!
You need to try at least one bound edge before you make judgement. I used to really not like a wide ribbon hat till lately, and now they are some of my favorites.

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thin ribbon, my own, and no binding. Opinions?

photowack008.jpg

photowack010.jpg

photowack009.jpg

photowack011.jpg

dean

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
All I know is, it's a bad idea to remove an edge binding on cheaper hats, and on on better ones, the edge may need sanding.

Otherwise, it's just a matter of what looks good. If I see a hat I like, binding or not, I like it. If I dream up a custom hat, I just go with my vision either way. However, I will admit, I am growing very fond of bound edges. [huh]

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Not-Bogart13 said:
All I know is, it's a bad idea to remove an edge binding on cheaper hats, and on on better ones, the edge may need sanding.

Otherwise, it's just a matter of what looks good. If I see a hat I like, binding or not, I like it. If I dream up a custom hat, I just go with my vision either way. However, I will admit, I am growing very fond of bound edges. [huh]
Do you have an akubra stylemaster or bogart?

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Not-Bogart13 said:

Remove the edge binding??? Surely you jest! lol

Duck

Practically Family
RBH said:
I have to say I could not imagine any of my thin ribbons without the bound edge. But by the same token, I could not picture my wibe ribbons with a bound edge.
I used to really not like a wide ribbon hat till lately, and now they are some of my favorites.
R, this is why you need a Whippet :D :D :D

Sonoma Jack

New in Town
Not-Bogart13 said:
All I know is, it's a bad idea to remove an edge binding on cheaper hats, and on on better ones, the edge may need sanding.[huh]

I think that's one of the reasons why I've leaned toward a raw edge--it's easier to add a binding later than to remove one, what with the risk of fade, stitching marks etc. On the other hand, if a person wanted to ensure the binding matched the ribbon then I suppose it would be better to include a binding at the beginning rather than risk not finding suitable material later especially if the ribbon is unusual or pre-war.

Glad to hear folks go both ways on bindings.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
indycop said:
Do you have an akubra stylemaster or bogart?

No, but like RBH I have a Campdraft.

halpap said:
Does a large brim need a binding to add some stiffening to the brim?

Not at all. Most cowboy style hats have big brims and no binding... and are stiff enough to beat somebody silly with it! lol

carter

I'll Lock Up
The vintage 40's hats that I have all have bound brims. It would be interesting to know if fedoras, homburgs, trilbys, etc. (not western or straw) hats from this period as well as the 30's and 50's were made without bound brims and, if so, how often.
It seems to me that the raw brim may be more of a recent phenomena.
Do we have a historian or two who can enlighten us? :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou