Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Edison C-150 Phonograph player

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
I recently won in a (non-Ebay) auction, an early 20th century Edison Co. disc phonograph player. The link to the auction is here. Is anyone knowledgeable in these things? What type of needles do I need? How do I work it? And I think that it only takes Edison discs, but what series does it run off of?

Thanks,

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
You need no needle. It's a Diamond Disk, meaning it has a permanent needle. This was the selling point for Edison, who though changing needles after each record was a nuisance. It's from around the end of WWI or a bit after, depending on the serial #.
Push the black lever to the lower right down. This raises the arm (and diamond stylus). Use it to swing the arm out of the way. Put on a record (EDISON ONLY - THE "THICK" RECORDS) on the spindle. Wind the crank until it feels tight but not all the way. Swing the arm over the beginning of the record and lower it again onto the surface with the black lever. When the record is finished, raise the stylus again with the lever.
You can NOT play 78's. Don't even try. It'll play any Edison disk.

I collect these. PM with any questions.

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
I would have the diamond stylus checked before playing, I bought a Diamond Disc machine that was neglected, and needed a new diamond stylus.
I'd also check to see if the spring motor was stiff, and everything was properly lubed as well.

Like Scotrace said, only play the Diamond Disc Records. (Don't play a needle cut late 20s Edison 78, though those are very hard to find)
They are fun machines.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran