Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Eight panelled 1930's style cap...where to buy ???

Mike1973

A-List Customer
links

Should be all you need to know here...

http://thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=23425&highlight=newsboy

I've got a couple, one new from Millar Hats, and another vintage. I wear them all the time.

BB07061.jpg

ukali1066

Practically Family
Ahhh many thanks,

Actually mate, it was a photo you posted of you in your old Irvin and cap that inspired me....I'm getting an Irvin repro soon and thought your look was killer....

See...tell the missus/girlfriend....you're a trendsetter ;)

analogist

One of the Regulars
Newsboy Caps

If you want a real nice cap that's both "swanky" and comfortable, and, to boot, has that 1930's look, check out B!Wear Cap co. in Mariposa CA.

Brett Stiles is a good guy and has the product to match!

analogist

Razzman

One Too Many
I have two B!Wear caps and they are great. I agree with analogist, Brett Stiles is nice guy and great to work with. Great service too.

Mike1973

A-List Customer
Not bought from this seller before, but just won these on evil bay...

G2SM3c4f65ea-f0ef-4819-8648-25d56ab99e6e-5678.jpg

Various sizes and styles, but could be interesting... I don't like to get excited until stuff actually arrives though. I'll post them up properly here when they do... watch this space cap lovers...

Speedster

Practically Family
Mike1973 said:
Not bought from this seller before, but just won these on evil bay...

G2SM3c4f65ea-f0ef-4819-8648-25d56ab99e6e-5678.jpg

Various sizes and styles, but could be interesting... I don't like to get excited until stuff actually arrives though. I'll post them up properly here when they do... watch this space cap lovers...

Those caps are great looking, Mike. Looking forward to see photos of them once you get them.

Pat_H

A-List Customer
tinmanzzz said:
I have a Borsalino newsboy cap and love it but beware, it's a big cap.:eek:

Big in terms of the size of the cap, or big in terms of the volume the cap has in fabric above your head?

If that makes sense.

I have a B!Wear cap and really like it. I wish, however, I hadn't lost my Pendleton newsboy in an airport years ago, that was by far my favorite newsboy. It was a perfect cap. If I could find another, I'd buy it, but Pendleton no longer makes them.

carter

I'll Lock Up
I have two newsboy caps that I bought from L.L. Bean several years ago. Both Harris Tweed herringbone. One grey. One brown. Great caps.
There was a Borsalino 8-panel on Ebay earlier today.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
We carry many different types of 8/4 (newsboy) caps from the basic ones that are made here for $25.00 to a large collection from Borsalino and Jonathan Richards. The Borsalino is slightly smaller in shape and the Jonathan Richards cap is in my opinion the nicest cap out there for the money. It is a little larger in shape and soft to the touch. It looks just like a cap made in the 1930's .

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

FlapJack

New in Town
I have three of the B! Wear caps. One is Brown Herringbone (but in a different pattern than he currently offers), one in Grey Herringbone ( A "Short Cut" version custom made for me) and a denim Speedster. I also own three vintage 1930's caps, two by Gramercy and one by The Style.

Brett of B! Wear makes some fantastic caps, really great, though they're not exactly copies of period pieces. They have a fuller cut, so the top extends a bit higher if placed straight on the head. Still a great look, just not vintage style. But, if they're worn flopped to one side of the head, they look almost identical to a full cut 30's cap. I really can't say enough good things about Brett, either. He's a great guy with very fast service and a great product. I plan to buy another one of his caps for winter.

Mike1973: You have won my DREAM auction. I don't know how I missed that one..... If any are 7 1/4 or even 7 1/8 and you'd like to sell one or two, PLEASE let me know.

Qwkslvr

One of the Regulars
besdor said:
We carry many different types of 8/4 (newsboy) caps from the basic ones that are made here for $25.00 to a large collection from Borsalino and Jonathan Richards. The Borsalino is slightly smaller in shape and the Jonathan Richards cap is in my opinion the nicest cap out there for the money. It is a little larger in shape and soft to the touch. It looks just like a cap made in the 1930's .

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com
Those Jonathan Richards caps look great! What size do suggest for hat size 58-59?

Pat_H

A-List Customer
carter said:
I have two newsboy caps that I bought from L.L. Bean several years ago. Both Harris Tweed herringbone. One grey. One brown. Great caps.
There was a Borsalino 8-panel on Ebay earlier today.

Great ID photo!

I have an Irish made hat (can't recall the maker right now) that is very nice, but a bit large. For that reason, I rarely wear it. I want to say the maker is "Harris", but I'll have to look. I wish I'd ordered it one size smaller.

Pat_H

A-List Customer
FlapJack said:
I have three of the B! Wear caps. One is Brown Herringbone (but in a different pattern than he currently offers), one in Grey Herringbone ( A "Short Cut" version custom made for me) and a denim Speedster. I also own three vintage 1930's caps, two by Gramercy and one by The Style.

Brett of B! Wear makes some fantastic caps, really great, though they're not exactly copies of period pieces. They have a fuller cut, so the top extends a bit higher if placed straight on the head. Still a great look, just not vintage style. But, if they're worn flopped to one side of the head, they look almost identical to a full cut 30's cap. I really can't say enough good things about Brett, either. He's a great guy with very fast service and a great product. I plan to buy another one of his caps for winter.

Mike1973: You have won my DREAM auction. I don't know how I missed that one..... If any are 7 1/4 or even 7 1/8 and you'd like to sell one or two, PLEASE let me know.

I'd second your opinion re B! Wear.

My B! Wear hat, for some reason, seems to naturally be at a slight angle, but that's no doubt because I've put it on that way. I never have done that with any other Newsboy cap I have, but this one just seems to naturally come on that way, and looks good worn that way.

It is also the only Newsboy cap I've ever had with a leather band, which I like.

Pat_H

A-List Customer
Qwkslvr said:
Those Jonathan Richards caps look great! What size do suggest for hat size 58-59?

Following on this, do these Irish made hats run large? I've found that to be the case in other Irish made hats I've had, perhaps because the size change from metric to English units was not quite right. For example, the 7 1/4" Irish Newsboy hat I have really seems like 7 1/2, or maybe even a little larger.

Qwkslvr

One of the Regulars
Pat_H said:
Following on this, do these Irish made hats run large? I've found that to be the case in other Irish made hats I've had, perhaps because the size change from metric to English units was not quite right. For example, the 7 1/4" Irish Newsboy hat I have really seems like 7 1/2, or maybe even a little larger.
According to his size chart, it looks we both require a large (shrugs). I prefer to buy hats with an actual measurement rather than the generic small, medium, or large categories, but; I do occasionally gamble with them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner