Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ELC: Skipped stitch holes?

FlatCap99

One of the Regulars
RE: The OPs statement/question; Is this a jacket you are considering purchasing or were just curious if people had seen this? I have a stray stitch hole on one of my Aero's but you really have to be picking it apart to notice it. I requested thick hide and its were you fold the leather over by the hands, so my guess is the machine tried to make the punch and didn't make it all the way through. However, this jacket looks like a slightly different scenario.

That said, if this is the thing holding you back from a purchase you could easily saddle stitch the 4 holes (the one before the two missing as well as the one after). If the price is right, two needles and nice thread should cost under $10, but I would recommend watching a video on saddle stitch technique. It's not hard, but you just need to make sure you are repeating the same over under motions with the thread on every stitch. Since machines use a lock stitch, the saddle stitch overlapping with the lock stitch should help it from unraveling any more than it already has (if that is indeed what happened). The jacket uses a very common shade of brown thread, so if you can get it for the right price, the fix will be pretty easy. The only downside is you will see the 4 new stitch lines on the inside the jacket along the liner. To me, I would take that payoff because nobody would see it...even if the jacket was off, I doubt anyone would even notice it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran