Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ELC Time worn vs. 50. cal vs. Pearl Harbour: Whats the diff?

Hawk_Eye

One of the Regulars
Does anyone know what the differences are between the Eastman "time worn", "50. cal" and "Pearl Harbour" A-2s are? Are there actual differences or is it just the same ageing process with different names?

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I don't think that there is a difference Hawk Eye. I remember reading somewhere that the time worn finish is just what was pioneered with the Pearl Harbor jackets and is what they call it when applied to jackets other than the PH ones..

kinabalu222

New in Town
Hawk_Eye said:
Does anyone know what the differences are between the Eastman "time worn", "50. cal" and "Pearl Harbour" A-2s are? Are there actual differences or is it just the same ageing process with different names?

I've done some researching on their website since I was having to decide between these two very products. Actually they are completely different. The Pearl Harbor is more broken in and scuffed, the leather is actually "broken" while the .50CAL is more subtle and its effect more generalized over the entire jacket and they process the leather differently
from all of their other jackets. On the PH, the "high points" of the jacket like pocket flap corners and collar button imprint etc. are scuffed. The only reason I selected the Pearl Harbor is because I did not like the strong color contrast between the cuffs and the leather on the .50CAL, the color of the cuff is very orange to me. If you have not already done so, I encourage you to go to their website (HPA) and read up on the description as well as look at their photos on both products. This is from the website:

"Released in July 2008, the .50 Cal. is the newest A-2 flying jacket to join the august ranks of other superior-quality flying jackets we offer from Eastman Leather Clothing. This model will appeal to those who are looking for that rugged-grain, tough, vintage look in an A-2 jacket while not being so out-of-the-box in appearance. The secret to this A-2 jacket’s rugged, less-than-new look is the hide type employed and the special .50-Cal. treatment.

The .50-Cal. A-2 is manufactured from specially selected, old-fashioned, veg-tanned, rugged-grain steer hide in dark seal brown; these hides are processed differently from any of our other Eastman A-2’s. Plus, they have had the .50-Cal. treatment! The .50-Cal. process is another of our specially developed treatments to give a new jacket a patina of initial wear. The Pearl Harbor A-2s have our “Time-Worn” treatment, which combines breaking with scuffing, creating a well-aged, well-worn look. But the .50 Cal. involves breaking and burnishing the hides WITHOUT scuffing, to achieve a more-subtle vintage appearance without looking well-worn. After initial trials of the .50-Cal. process, we were so knocked out by the outcome, we just knew diehard A-2 jacket enthusiasts were going to love it."

See this thread for pics of my Pearl Harbor Walnut Brown.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=36459

Another way to look at this is select the Pearl Harbor for a more worn, more broken-in look, select the .50CAL for a more "just worn", newer look. Good luck, can't really go wrong with either, I'm very happy with mine.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for the heads up Kina. I wasn't too sure about the .50 Cal but I was under the impression that the process that Eastman used for ageing the PH jackets and the Time-worn was the same process.

So Eastman are using different ageing processes on these jackets then?

kinabalu222

New in Town
Smithy said:
Thanks for the heads up Kina. I wasn't too sure about the .50 Cal but I was under the impression that the process that Eastman used for ageing the PH jackets and the Time-worn was the same process.

So Eastman are using different ageing processes on these jackets then?

Actually I just re-read the originating thread and noticed he also mentioned the time-worn version in addition to the PH and .50CAL...duh! I must admit I did not look into this version and apologize for totally ignoring this part of the question! Will have to do more research now!

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
kinabalu222 said:
I've done some researching on their website since I was having to decide between these two very products. Actually they are completely different. The Pearl Harbor is more broken in and scuffed, the leather is actually "broken" while the .50CAL is more subtle and its effect more generalized over the entire jacket and they process the leather differently
from all of their other jackets. On the PH, the "high points" of the jacket like pocket flap corners and collar button imprint etc. are scuffed. The only reason I selected the Pearl Harbor is because I did not like the strong color contrast between the cuffs and the leather on the .50CAL, the color of the cuff is very orange to me. If you have not already done so, I encourage you to go to their website (HPA) and read up on the description as well as look at their photos on both products. This is from the website:

"Released in July 2008, the .50 Cal. is the newest A-2 flying jacket to join the august ranks of other superior-quality flying jackets we offer from Eastman Leather Clothing. This model will appeal to those who are looking for that rugged-grain, tough, vintage look in an A-2 jacket while not being so out-of-the-box in appearance. The secret to this A-2 jacket’s rugged, less-than-new look is the hide type employed and the special .50-Cal. treatment.

The .50-Cal. A-2 is manufactured from specially selected, old-fashioned, veg-tanned, rugged-grain steer hide in dark seal brown; these hides are processed differently from any of our other Eastman A-2’s. Plus, they have had the .50-Cal. treatment! The .50-Cal. process is another of our specially developed treatments to give a new jacket a patina of initial wear. The Pearl Harbor A-2s have our “Time-Worn” treatment, which combines breaking with scuffing, creating a well-aged, well-worn look. But the .50 Cal. involves breaking and burnishing the hides WITHOUT scuffing, to achieve a more-subtle vintage appearance without looking well-worn. After initial trials of the .50-Cal. process, we were so knocked out by the outcome, we just knew diehard A-2 jacket enthusiasts were going to love it."

See this thread for pics of my Pearl Harbor Walnut Brown.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=36459

Another way to look at this is select the Pearl Harbor for a more worn, more broken-in look, select the .50CAL for a more "just worn", newer look. Good luck, can't really go wrong with either, I'm very happy with mine.

As an owner of one of the first production .50 Cal jackets I couldn't be more pleased with it. The grain is awesome and it is a very comfortable jacket to wear. The knits are actually berry (red), not orange. In other words they are the same colour as on many original Aeros. I submitted a review of the jacket on this site back in the summer. http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=32205&page=2

kinabalu222

New in Town
aswatland said:
As an owner of one of the first production .50 Cal jackets I couldn't be more pleased with it. The grain is awesome and it is a very comfortable jacket to wear. The knits are actually berry (red), not orange. In other words they are the same colour as on many original Aeros. I submitted a review of the jacket on this site back in the summer. http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=32205&page=2

Thanks Andrew, I remember reading that thread when I was in my research phase. Yes, I am aware the red or rust knits are accurate, I've seen real jackets in museums that were that exact color, but I personally prefer them to match the leather, or at least in the same color/tonal range. I think that comes from my previous life of working as a interior designer and dealing with colors day in and day out!:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran